How does Jealousy fit in PSB discography chronologically speaking?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
misterme

How does Jealousy fit in PSB discography chronologically speaking?

#1 Post by misterme »

Hi,
I think this must have surfaced before, but I haven't found the answer to this. So here I go:
In chronological order, Jealousy is supposed to be the fourth single from Behaviour (right after "Where the streets / Seriously"). It appears this way on compilations that list the songs in chronological order (Discography, PopArt - The Videos).

But looking at the catalog numbers, something's wrong:
- Where the streets... / ...Seriously ? > R6285 / 20 4254 7
- Jealousy > R6283 / 20 4224 7

"Jealousy" seems to precede "Where the Streets..."
My question is: which single was really released first in stores back then, "Jealousy" or "Where the Streets..." ?
And if "Jealousy" was indeed released after "Where the Streets...", what is the deal with those catalog numbers ?

Thanx.

One of the crowd

Re: How does Jealousy fit in PSB discography chronologically speaking?

#2 Post by One of the crowd »

From Record Collector Magazine, June 1991...

For their 16th single for Parlophone, Pet Shop Boys had originally planned to release "Jealousy" along with their own recording of "Losing My Mind", but although a 12" promo was distributed (12RDJ6283), the idea was postponed.

Plan B was an EP of cover versions but on going into the studio, this changed to Plan C, which was the double A Side Streets/Seriously.

So, I assume as the catalogue number (R) 6283 was already assigned, the next number was (R) 6285, (R)6284 was Silver Bullet's Undercover Anarchist single released April 1991.

Also, though there never was any, Esprit Mail Order listed a 12" Promo of Seriously with the 12RDJ6283 catalogue number.

Chronologically, Jealousy goes after the Streets/Seriously release
Fishing

misterme

#3 Post by misterme »

Thank you very much for this explanation

Danimal

#4 Post by Danimal »

Neil has stated on several occasions that at various points during the Parlophone years PSB had mooted the idea of a covers EP but Parlophone never liked the idea. For instance the "Somewhere" single was originally intended to be an EP of show tunes and a "rock classics" EP was suggested at another point, possibly before recording the "Streets/Seriously" single.

daveid

#5 Post by daveid »

Interesting re catalogue numbers. I think because the first two singles underperformed they felt they needed a real banger to get attention so briefly diverted from the album campaign...sort of. I think this got to number 4..? They also managed to piss U2 off which was marvellous as well.

Spittingcat

#6 Post by Spittingcat »

This reminds me… my USA 12” of the It’s a sin Remix announced that the next album would be called “Jealousy”.

Dog

#7 Post by Dog »

They obviously struggled with the follow up to Being boring and its lowly chart position. I also remember Nervously being announced as the next single at one point in the Smash Hits news pages.
Woof.