Guardian 100 Greatest UK No.1's

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

Re: Guardian 100 Greatest UK No.1's

#91 Post by Nickname »

D.J. wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 1:20 am
bongsteve wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 3:39 pm
Great for the Boys but no Depeche, Cure or New Order but this is included:

Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe (2012)
On first listen, the song seemed deceptively featherweight. The strings sound like ringtones; the guitar parts as though they were lifted from a PlayStation 2 game. But even the most synthetic production can’t detract from songwriting this ironclad. It is telling that Call Me Maybe was intended as a folk song; it would be catchy played on a kazoo, or underwater

<insert face palm here>
I’m so happy for the PSB! I didn’t see it coming!😊
About, Call Me Maybe, I think it is one of the greatest pop songs of the last 20 years. Great melodies, awesome lyrics, a pop-masterpiece!😎
Yes, Call Me Maybe is a really good track. In fact, it's a song I really like.

Spittingcat

#92 Post by Spittingcat »

Disco. wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 10:04 pm
They have never really been popular in the U.K
14 UK top ten singles is nothing to be sniffed at.

Nickname

#93 Post by Nickname »

Gabby wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 10:02 pm
I'm stunned that Depeche Mode never had a #1 single in the UK - I'd have put cold hard cash down on that.

Just goes to show that chart positions counted for very little even back in the 80's.
Depeche Mode is so dark, I understand they are not very radio friendly. I think the very first songs with Vince Clark were more commercial, with a more lighting sound. Depeche Mode are great but with Vince, I think they could have been even better. Yes, I like "I just can't get enough". :D

PopKid78

#94 Post by PopKid78 »

Nickname wrote:
Gabby wrote:
I'm stunned that Depeche Mode never had a #1 single in the UK - I'd have put cold hard cash down on that.

Just goes to show that chart positions counted for very little even back in the 80's.
Depeche Mode is so dark, I understand they are not very radio friendly. I think the very first songs with Vince Clark were more commercial, with a more lighting sound. Depeche Mode are great but with Vince, I think they could have been even better. Yes, I like "I just can't get enough". :D
Not better, just very different. I don’t think Alan Wilder gets given enough credit for his contribution to the band, when Vince left. Going back to Depeche Mode never having a number 1. I’d say their best chance of getting to the top, was their first release after the success of Violator. Walking in my Shoes, should’ve been the lead single from Songs of Faith and Devotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeyC

#95 Post by MikeyC »

Nickname wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 4:20 pm
Gabby wrote:

It’s Clarke with an e.

tottenhammattspurs

#96 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

PopKid78 wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 5:31 pm
Nickname wrote:
Gabby wrote:

Not better, just very different. I don’t think Alan Wilder gets given enough credit for his contribution to the band, when Vince left. Going back to Depeche Mode never having a number 1. I’d say their best chance of getting to the top, was their first release after the success of Violator. Walking in my Shoes, should’ve been the lead single from Songs of Faith and Devotion.

It’s no coincidence that since Alan left, they’ve never been better than 4/10.
is is and isnt isnt

Disco.

#97 Post by Disco. »

Spittingcat wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 4:12 pm
Disco. wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 10:04 pm
They have never really been popular in the U.K
14 UK top ten singles is nothing to be sniffed at.
No, it isn’t, but compared to Pet Shop Boys, they haven’t really been that successful in the U.K. They have never had a platinum album in the U.K.

Disco.

#98 Post by Disco. »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 6:59 pm
PopKid78 wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 5:31 pm
Nickname wrote:

It’s no coincidence that since Alan left, they’ve never been better than 4/10.
Exactly !

RMC

#99 Post by RMC »

Nickname wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 4:02 pm
D.J. wrote:
Sat 06 Jun 2020, 1:20 am
bongsteve wrote:
Fri 05 Jun 2020, 3:39 pm
Great for the Boys but no Depeche, Cure or New Order but this is included:

Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe (2012)
On first listen, the song seemed deceptively featherweight. The strings sound like ringtones; the guitar parts as though they were lifted from a PlayStation 2 game. But even the most synthetic production can’t detract from songwriting this ironclad. It is telling that Call Me Maybe was intended as a folk song; it would be catchy played on a kazoo, or underwater

<insert face palm here>
I’m so happy for the PSB! I didn’t see it coming!😊
About, Call Me Maybe, I think it is one of the greatest pop songs of the last 20 years. Great melodies, awesome lyrics, a pop-masterpiece!😎
Yes, Call Me Maybe is a really good track. In fact, it's a song I really like.
Her Emotion album is incredible..

greenmile

#100 Post by greenmile »

Someone's peed in his cornflakes.

https://www.facebook.com/Musiceel/posts ... 1498370590

He's a producer who worked with Duran Duran around the time of Seven And The Ragged Tiger and has had a major chip on his shoulder ever since as they never worked with him again.

PopKid78

#101 Post by PopKid78 »

greenmile wrote:Someone's peed in his cornflakes.

He's a producer who worked with Duran Duran around the time of Seven And The Ragged Tiger and has had a major chip on his shoulder ever since as they never worked with him again.
I’m not on Facebook, so can’t read the comments, but hopefully there’s plenty of people asking him what he’s been drinking.

Xakrij

#102 Post by Xakrij »

greenmile wrote:
Sun 07 Jun 2020, 3:25 pm

Ian Little.jpg
Ian Little.jpg (430.35 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Shot in the fatal cause of 'frock-and-droll'

leesmapman

#103 Post by leesmapman »

Such a little man.

daveid

#104 Post by daveid »

Love the boys and love West End girls but it isn't the greatest no. 1 by any stretch. These endless lists are just a means to write about music that's been endlessly written about before. It's a never ending competition with ever changing winners. These regular polls are held precisely in order to undo the one prior to them. It's trashy recycled journalistic crap.

And for what it's worth Bridge Over Troubled Water is a greater song by all criteria.

Flaffer

#105 Post by Flaffer »

Xakrij wrote:
Sun 07 Jun 2020, 4:38 pm
greenmile wrote:
Sun 07 Jun 2020, 3:25 pm

Ian Little.jpg
His brother Sidney was the one with all the talent
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.