The revenge of Bobby "O" - Mixed Up World

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

The revenge of Bobby "O" - Mixed Up World

#1 Post by Nickname »

Probably many of you know that but I didn't know it. Even being a hardcore fan of PSB.

I didn't know Bobby created this song in 1985 for his album: Bobby "O" and his Banana Republic. The song is "Mixed Up World". When you listen to this song you can hear how much it sounds like West End Girls. In fact, Bobby "O" was angry with PSB because Neil and Chris had used his style, Hi-NRG, to create West End Girls. Few months later, they were reworking it for a big label (EMI-Parlophone) with new producers like Stephen Hague, using his particular sound and getting success.

So this song was a kind of revenge. In some way, I understand the feeling of Bobby "O".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgJVF18f27w

PSB wanted to change the producer because they haven't any kind of success with this label. Anyway, there was no lawsuit between PSB and Bobby "O". He didn't want to let them his part of the rights from the songs. So they made their own new versions.

Maybe you knew that, I didn't.
Last edited by Nickname on Sun 31 May 2020, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotInvisible

Re: The revenge of Bobby "O" - Mixed Up World

#2 Post by NotInvisible »

There is nothing Hi-NRG about West End Girls.

raggatwin

#3 Post by raggatwin »

TBH Bobby O was a one trick pony, they would have left him at some point or another...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

leesmapman

#4 Post by leesmapman »

Bobby O has done some blatant plagiarism in the past. I bought a Divine album a few weeks ago and there's the I Feel Love ripoff Shoot Your Shot, but I didn't know about Love Reaction which is just Blue Monday. When I heard it, I just had to laugh. It's great stuff, mind you. Anyway, in that light it makes sense that this song resembles something he produced before.

tottenhammattspurs

#5 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Sounds more like Inner City Pressure.
is is and isnt isnt

DJAMIX

#6 Post by DJAMIX »

Interesting! Never heard that beore! It's definitely a statement.
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

daveid

#7 Post by daveid »

Can definitely hear lyrics that sound similar in spirit to West End girls. I think it's OK but a bit on the nose in its social critique.

greenmile

#8 Post by greenmile »

LOL, that's hilarious!

Oznerol

#9 Post by Oznerol »

Interesting!...as weird as I may sound..I don´t remember if I heard this before! :P
Released in 1985...a very quick revenge!! The Hague version was released in October of that same year...
This is not my signature.

Spittingcat

#10 Post by Spittingcat »

Ha! Enjoyed that. Agreed about the Flight Of The Conchords feel to it. There’s also a track on the album that, er, plays homage to New Order’s Confusion… called… Confusion.

Always worth going further back though… check out the 81&82 albums by German band, “The Twins”, if you want to hear some originators.

Eleven

#11 Post by Eleven »

Probably did to get some "hit" after the Boys left him for Parlophone and to have some revenue apart from the contract release being paid of 1mill

markrobertnolan

#12 Post by markrobertnolan »

leesmapman wrote:
Sat 30 May 2020, 7:01 pm
Bobby O has done some blatant plagiarism in the past. I bought a Divine album a few weeks ago and there's the I Feel Love ripoff Shoot Your Shot, but I didn't know about Love Reaction which is just Blue Monday. When I heard it, I just had to laugh. It's great stuff, mind you. Anyway, in that light it makes sense that this song resembles something he produced before.
It's not so much "Shoot your Shot" plagiarises "I Feel love", its more so that "Love Reaction" plagiarises "Blue Monday."