Bobby 'O' post-1984 releases

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Bobby 'O' post-1984 releases

#1 Post by Future Lover »

To expand on the thread title, do you consider "West End Sunglasses", the Dub of "One more chance", Montreal mixes of "West End girls" etc. as official PSB releases? It's unusual that they included some of these in the original "Annually", while "Catalogue" only lists the two original singles.
Personally, I'm in agreement with the "Catalogue" version of events, since most of those versions are frankly disgusting, and the only "official" Bobby 'O' stuff should be the five versions of "West End girls", three versions of "Pet Shop Boys" and two versions of "One more chance".

How about you? Are you fond of these cash grabs?

leesmapman

Re: Bobby 'O' post-1984 releases

#2 Post by leesmapman »

"Sunglasses" and "Theme From Pet Shop Boys" are not part of the PSB "canon" in my opinion. The tracks are not written by Tennant/Lowe and have nothing to do with our PSB. And as much as I like the dub of One More Chance, I still think the original is the best.

oakey

#3 Post by oakey »

leesmapman wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020, 2:24 pm
"Sunglasses" and "Theme From Pet Shop Boys" are not part of the PSB "canon" in my opinion. The tracks are not written by Tennant/Lowe and have nothing to do with our PSB. And as much as I like the dub of One More Chance, I still think the original is the best.
Fully agree! Theme for PSB and Sunglasses are Bobby O tracks, not performed or written by the PSB.

The zillion remixes of West End girls and the One More Chance remixes do count imo, as they are officially commissioned/made by the publishing rights holder (i.e., Orlando), whether we like these mixes or not. They are comparable to the 10 million remixes of FGTH that are being released every year who are official yet not in any way approved by the 'band' (which does not exist anymore and does not have any say in these releases). Same for the Boys pre-1985-catalogue.

Oznerol

#4 Post by Oznerol »

It will be a very good question for the Boys if somebody have the chance to face any of them in the future. What they think about that ZYX releases and if they consider them as an "official" part of their discography or not... no matter how involved they were on many decitions surrounding them...
This is not my signature.

telys

#5 Post by telys »

The Montreal mixes have extra West End girls-lyrics "Looking left, turning right etc..." It's an enigmatic song
But hey, three versions of Pet Shop boys? I only know of one... enlighten me please!
----
You've got me all wrong

Oznerol

#6 Post by Oznerol »

telys wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020, 9:15 pm
The Montreal mixes have extra West End girls-lyrics "Looking left, turning right etc..." It's an enigmatic song
But hey, three versions of Pet Shop boys? I only know of one... enlighten me please!
You have one version called just "Pet Shop Boys" (5:16) as b-side of the Original West End girls 12" single, then "Theme For The Pet Shop Boys" (5:00) as B-side of the West End girls 86' Version ZYX 12" and then "Theme For The ‘Pet Shop Boys’ (Pt II) (New Remix ’88)" (4:58) as b-side of the 'One More Chance (New Remix '88) ZYX 12".
This is not my signature.

Dog

#7 Post by Dog »

Oznerol wrote:
telys wrote:
Mon 25 May 2020, 9:15 pm
You have one version called just "Pet Shop Boys" (5:16) as b-side of the Original West End girls 12" single, then "Theme For The Pet Shop Boys" (5:00) as B-side of the West End girls 86' Version ZYX 12" and then "Theme For The ‘Pet Shop Boys’ (Pt II) (New Remix ’88)" (4:58) as b-side of the 'One More Chance (New Remix '88) ZYX 12".
Well, these are three different songs. Only one - Pet Shop Boys - is a PSB composition. There are, however, three different length edits of it. I assume this is what was being referred to.
Woof.

One of the crowd

#8 Post by One of the crowd »

Pet Shop Boys

3:59 on Epic 7” A4292
5:20 on Epic 12” TA4292
3:26 on ZYX 7” ZYX1099
Fishing

ype

#9 Post by ype »

Isn't Bobby O sitting on some other recordings with the boys? I don't understand he never released more.

Dog

#10 Post by Dog »

viewtopic.php?t=14382#p252705

This thread includes passages from the Michael Cowton book and references additional material still owned by Bobby O at the time, including the 28 minute version of Pet Shop Boys.
Woof.