Is now the time for MCMLXXXIX?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
canveyboy

Re: Is now the time for MCMLXXXIX?

#16 Post by canveyboy »

minimal wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 8:15 am
Right, people are mixing up information here. It's Release that's never been released as it's considered too dark. It's particularly sad that there is no Release concert film as the setlist was excellent and new, guitar-led versions of songs such as Love comes quickly or A red letter day are outstanding.

As for Discovery, I'm almost "angry" that nothing ever seems to happen. It's such an outstanding PSB curiosity that captures their most fun tour with the best possible crowd. The setlist, again, is stunning. I love the rough cut of impressions depicting their SA journey shown prior to the actual gig. To cut a long story short, I love everything about it. I bought it on VHS around 2001 when I was still pretty young and then my dad had to come to the checkout as the movie rating suggested age 15. Damn boy, it sure needs to be released! I'd even donate to see it on proper DVD/BR.

Same with their first ever tour. It's such an interesting document of its time. I'd love to see it being released. I particularly love their rendition of Love comes quickly as part of the 1989 tour.

It's really a bit odd how they treat their live catalogue. I hope they'll return to it at some point in the future and delight us with new releases of the above mentioned concert films.

m+
Couldn’t have said it better myself. The way you feel about Discovery is spot on, I totally agree. It’s the most fun documented PSB live film and the crowd reaction is superb. Again, great set list as you say.

The 1989 tour for me though is by far the most desired. Not only was it their first live tour but it was probably the most ‘live’ thing they had ever done before the Release tour. And also it’s the only live tour (other than Release) that’s never been released. At least Discovery was released on VHS and Laserdisc.

It’s a shame they’re not interested in releasing the old live stuff. There’s even a few live audio concerts that would have made great live albums - Live at BBC Radio Theatre 2002 for the Release tour. Originally broadcast on Radio 2 and introduced by Bob Harris. Like you said, great versions of Love comes quickly and A red letter day. Also the Salford concert in 2012 with Johnny Marr, BBC orchestra and choir, that should definitely have been released!!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

In my opinion, they should remaster, and re-edit all of the live performances before Inner Sanctum and release them as a collection.
Remaster both the film/picture quality, and re-master the sound. They can take creative liberties to make it sound better than the originals, asuming sound was captured from multiple channels and not 1 board feed.
For MCMLXXXIX, the back up singers are way too loud, and their singing sucks. It's the same sort of OUUUUGHHHWW moaning vocals for most songs, they aren't very pleasant to the ear and they don't fit in with PSB's music. Plus like I said they're too high in the mix, as though it's meant to be a focal feature.
Camera work, MCMLXXXIX isn't the worst but they could cut back on the projections, and they really need to utilise more shots of Chris. Even if he's just standing there, I think in early PSB days the film crews would not realise Chris is a main part of the main, and in fact the other member of the duo!
A remaster would be great for MCMLXXXIX, because you can hardly see anything. Sound wise it could be a real treat to have it done properly, and this time with all songs instead of "highlights".

Now the other performances, starting with Performance.
It's almost fine the way it is. We have it in DVD quality, and I have no complaints with the sound.
But, with the superb high quality of the actual stage show it's worth re-watching several times by PSB fans, and worth seeing by more casual fans who won't find anything that is out of print.
As for re-editing it, I think a director's cut where totally alternative angles are used would be fantastic.
I think more wide angle shots would be good, and they actually filmed several performances with several angles for the original edit so they have plenty of source material to put together a version with totally different angles, possibly even with things totally missed in the original edit. It would add to the watchability of it, in my opinion.

Nightlife....
Can we all agree the editing is atrocious?
Though honestly, watching parts of it you can see there isn't much going on on stage. It doesn't look like many camera angles were used either. Regardless, a reedit without the dumb visualiser effects (so it looks more like you're at the concert) would be greatly appreciated. Remember the Nightlife tour had unique mixes of much of the songs performed.

Cubism...
Honestly I hate the performance, and the whole era as a matter of fact.
But some like it, and a remaster would be okay.

Pandemonium.
I haven't seen it in a while, but again a remaster would be nice. I remember really enjoying this live recording. I think a re-edit could bring fresh life into it.

If they were to release these as a collection, it would be an excuse to fill it with others we've missed.
The Release era, with university tours etc. If there's one filmed it would be lovely. There are several unique renditions of songs, such as an acoustic version of Before. And the whole approach to live performances for this era is still an interesting and enjoyable stage in PSB history. (They used a real band, changed the style quite a bit, but still played the hits)

Then it brings me to the audio-only side. They could remaster and release a set of live performances without video footage.
We've gone over how wonderful some like Heaven and Hacienda are. They've put a lot of work into changing the way the songs sound through the years and decades for the live performance. Image a collection of live performances remastered beautifully that showcase the changing style of PSB with the same songs as well as the few that were only played while they were more relevant. They've only released 1 live album that is separate from a video tape or DVD/Blu-ray, if I recall correctly.
Missed opportunity.

Greendrake

#18 Post by Greendrake »

Sage wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 12:00 pm
In my opinion, they should remaster, and re-edit all of the live performances before Inner Sanctum and release them as a collection.
That won't ever pay back (unless we all pledge some $$$ in advance).

tottenhammattspurs

#19 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

It's taken over 30 years for ICHH to appear on dvd, and that's only because someone else wanted to do it. I don't hold out any hope for MCMLXXIX ever appearing on anything other than VHS and YouTube. There were fan made DVDs of Discovery at the turn of the century, obviously ripped from the laserdisc but better quality than the VHS. ICHH will recoup some money that its cost to 4K it due to the fact it'll have a wider audience (Fans and Film-studies and film buffs), but to remaster MCMLXXXIX, Discovery etc to Blu-Ray wouldn't be financially possible.
is is and isnt isnt

canveyboy

#20 Post by canveyboy »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 1:50 pm
It's taken over 30 years for ICHH to appear on dvd, and that's only because someone else wanted to do it. I don't hold out any hope for MCMLXXIX ever appearing on anything other than VHS and YouTube. There were fan made DVDs of Discovery at the turn of the century, obviously ripped from the laserdisc but better quality than the VHS. ICHH will recoup some money that its cost to 4K it due to the fact it'll have a wider audience (Fans and Film-studies and film buffs), but to remaster MCMLXXXIX, Discovery etc to Blu-Ray wouldn't be financially possible.
Doesn’t need to be a blu ray release. Both MCMLXXXIX and Discovery were shot on video so I’d settle for a DVD! All they’ve gotta do is transfer from the original tapes to DVD! Voila.
Its taken me all of my life to find you