Is now the time for MCMLXXXIX?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
canveyboy

Is now the time for MCMLXXXIX?

#1 Post by canveyboy »

It seems very popular right now for major artists to dig in to their video archives and upload to YouTube previously unreleased or very rare live concert films. Pink Floyd, Genesis, OMD and Radiohead, to name a few, have already or will be releasing content to YouTube.

So it got me thinking, this would be a perfect way of PSB releasing Derek Jarman’s MCMLXXXIX on tour concert film in full without the cost of actually releasing it. They could easily upload it to YouTube in high quality for a week and then bring it down. No manufacturing costs, no distribution costs. And the fans would finally get to see it in the highest quality possible. Let’s face it, they’re never going to officially release it so it makes sense for it to make an appearance like this. It’s what everyone is doing right now and I for one would absolutely love to see this show again!

Come on boys...Neil...please????
Its taken me all of my life to find you

rashomon

Re: Is now the time for MCMLXXXIX?

#2 Post by rashomon »

I'd second that. I was 19 at the time and the memory is fast fading ...
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

canveyboy

#3 Post by canveyboy »

rashomon wrote:
Thu 30 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm
I'd second that. I was 19 at the time and the memory is fast fading ...
Yeah, I was 17. Wednesday July 19th 1989. My first ever concert. Absolutely loved it. I have a VHS copy of the unreleased film but obviously it’s not great quality. We have ICHH being released on blu ray / DVD in July. Who knows, if it shifts enough copies maybe that could fund a DVD production of this and ‘Discovery’ - those would be the only 2 films we don’t have on DVD!

young.offender

#4 Post by young.offender »

canveyboy wrote:
Thu 30 Apr 2020, 8:25 pm
It’s what everyone is doing right now
And this is why the Boys won't do it. Because, they never do what others do..

What a pity

Dog

#5 Post by Dog »

They probably don’t own the rights to it.
Woof.

TallThinMan

#6 Post by TallThinMan »

Hasn’t this been asked and officially answered several times by now? It’s never going to be released because the footage isn’t very high quality and there’s not enough of it etc.

leesmapman

#7 Post by leesmapman »

The quality of the footage is the problem indeed. It turned out to be too dark. It was shot on film and restoring that would be expensive too. With todays techniques, the quality would probably improve though.

Spittingcat

#8 Post by Spittingcat »

I’m not going to work out how old I was, but it was my first gig as well. And… wow.

TwizzleUK

#9 Post by TwizzleUK »

Can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure they mentioned a few years back they were intending to release ICHH, Discovery and the full MCMLXXXIX recording on DVD... Anyone remember the source?

Young Offender

#10 Post by Young Offender »

I have watched the Genesis concerts to date and will keep watching those as I am a fan and was present for every tour since 1981, saw Pink Floyds Pulse the other week also.

I do agree the Boys should upload whatever they have.

For Genesis some of the fans have restored old tape footage from the 70s and the band have used it for some of the box sets I am sure there is a group of video techs that are PSB fans that would offer their services also.

canveyboy

#11 Post by canveyboy »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Fri 01 May 2020, 1:01 am
Can't remember where I read it, but I'm sure they mentioned a few years back they were intending to release ICHH, Discovery and the full MCMLXXXIX recording on DVD... Anyone remember the source?
Yeah it was in an issue of Literally a few years ago!! And yeah they said that was their intention to release all 3.

Also, the concert wasn’t shot on film as someone above suggested. It was shot in video and this was the main problem. Like Queen Live at Wembley was only shot on video so you can’t really do a proper HD upscale from video. And the issue was never to do with it being too dark. It was just down to the particular shots that Derek had used in the film. But honestly, like I said, I have the whole show on tape/digital transfer and the footage to me looks fine. The even showed clips of West End girls, NHBB, Left to my own devices on their A Life In Pop DVD and those looked amazing. When you look at those clips in full, and Paninaro, OMC, Opportunities, Heart etc, there’s literally nothing wrong with that footage. They released 7 songs from that film and none of those look exceptionally better than the songs they didn’t release!

Well, we can but dream!

minimal

#12 Post by minimal »

Right, people are mixing up information here. It's Release that's never been released as it's considered too dark. It's particularly sad that there is no Release concert film as the setlist was excellent and new, guitar-led versions of songs such as Love comes quickly or A red letter day are outstanding.

As for Discovery, I'm almost "angry" that nothing ever seems to happen. It's such an outstanding PSB curiosity that captures their most fun tour with the best possible crowd. The setlist, again, is stunning. I love the rough cut of impressions depicting their SA journey shown prior to the actual gig. To cut a long story short, I love everything about it. I bought it on VHS around 2001 when I was still pretty young and then my dad had to come to the checkout as the movie rating suggested age 15. Damn boy, it sure needs to be released! I'd even donate to see it on proper DVD/BR.

Same with their first ever tour. It's such an interesting document of its time. I'd love to see it being released. I particularly love their rendition of Love comes quickly as part of the 1989 tour.

It's really a bit odd how they treat their live catalogue. I hope they'll return to it at some point in the future and delight us with new releases of the above mentioned concert films.

m+

minimal

#13 Post by minimal »

young.offender wrote:
Thu 30 Apr 2020, 9:00 pm
canveyboy wrote:
Thu 30 Apr 2020, 8:25 pm
It’s what everyone is doing right now
And this is why the Boys won't do it. Because, they never do what others do..

What a pity
Considering all the stuff they've done from 2006 onwards I'd say that it's a principle long gone now...

m+

tottenhammattspurs

#14 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

It’s already on YouTube though isn’t it? I’ve got the whole concert derived from “Highlights” and the unreleased tracks that someone put up in YouTube.
is is and isnt isnt

PETHEAD72

#15 Post by PETHEAD72 »

YES and PLEASE
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol: