Review: the most common thought from a non PSB fan about the PSB discography

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
minimal

Re: Review: the most common thought from a non PSB fan about the PSB discography

#16 Post by minimal »

Except for the orange lego cover all sleeve designs/artworks of the Bilingual era are way more creative and more interesting to look at. Just saying. In terms of graphic design, they're even more sophisticated.

Your problem, dear Nickname, is that you compare everything to Very/the big hits and because that's your favourite record (i.e. objectively it's far from being their best work) everything else they've done (or will do) can't compete with it. Thus, your argumentation is pointless and I guess you might have noticed that people are tired debating with you. And that's because you're a hopeless case. It's a bit sad, really.

m+

minimal

Re: Review: the most common thought from a non PSB fan about the PSB discography

#17 Post by minimal »

Also, it clearly doesn't matter how many DJs could write and produce a song like Wedding in Berlin. Fact is, only few do with such success over such a long period of time. Also, in terms of art as such, there's probably many people who could practically do what Beuys, For example, did. But it's his work and he was the one doing what he did. And that's what matters. Nothing else. Art is not about a possibility or capacity to do things, it's about action, i.e. the ones who're actually doing stuff.

m+

Nickname

#18 Post by Nickname »

minimal wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 2:16 pm
Except for the orange lego cover all sleeve designs/artworks of the Bilingual era are way more creative and more interesting to look at. Just saying. In terms of graphic design, they're even more sophisticated.

Your problem, dear Nickname, is that you compare everything to Very/the big hits and because that's your favourite record (i.e. objectively it's far from being their best work) everything else they've done (or will do) can't compete with it. Thus, your argumentation is pointless and I guess you might have noticed that people are tired debating with you. And that's because you're a hopeless case. It's a bit sad, really.

m+
I think most of people prefer Very, even on this forum. Even a better album if they had included Shameless, like they wanted to do. Go West was a big hit and Can You Forgive Her? was the most voted song in a massive poll of PSB's best songs we did many years ago. Even the ballads were quite clever The Theatre, To Speak is a Sin, Young Offender. I know many people here love Dreaming of the Queen a lot.

Bilingual has a weak start. The drums taken from the song Matador are really annoying, then the album improves but you can't comare it to Very. Before, Single-Bilingual were very weak singles. At least, they improved A Red Letter Day with the single version. Somewhere is a amzing but it was included in the limited version.

Patrick Bateman

#19 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Nickname wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 7:04 pm
Bilingual has a weak start. The drums taken from the song Matador are really annoying, then the album improves but you can't comare it to Very. Before, Single-Bilingual were very weak singles. At least, they improved A Red Letter Day with the single version. Somewhere is a amzing but it was included in the limited version.

minimal

#20 Post by minimal »

Jesus Christ. It's hopeless. I'm giving up. I don't feel any power or motivation to even start discussing the matter with you, nickname.

You ignore and probably do not understand what I told you.

Just fyi: I don't give a damn about all "arguments" you mentioned as you don't talk with me, you're leading monologues here. It's annoying. You're like a tape playing the same record time and again. Then again The Theatre is not a ballad at all.

Also, Bilingual, imho, has the most atmospheric beginning of a PSB record ever. The melody, the lyrics, the production, it's all ever so flawless.

m+

Scottydog

#21 Post by Scottydog »

Whatever you think of the album the intro with Discoteca merging into Bilingual is sheer genius. Flawless is a good description
If I thought what you’d think I wouldn’t even be here.

Nickname

#22 Post by Nickname »

Scottydog wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:46 pm
Whatever you think of the album the intro with Discoteca merging into Bilingual is sheer genius. Flawless is a good description
minimal wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 8:00 pm
Also, Bilingual, imho, has the most atmospheric beginning of a PSB record ever. The melody, the lyrics, the production, it's all ever so flawless.

m+
Ok, it's your personal taste. You are hardcore fans.

For me, Discoteca is boring and Single Bilingual is a song with a very cheap chorus. Even for a kid of 10 years old. Affortunately, the rest of the album is better but not as good as previous albums.

minimal

#23 Post by minimal »

Well, you simply lack sophistication that allows you to enjoy such perfection.

m+

Gabby

#24 Post by Gabby »

Disco. wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm
Very is SO overrated, don’t like the production. Loved the concept of it and the videos etc.
Hindsight is 20/20. I lived and breathed Very (and Relentless) when it came out. It couldn't be surpassed in all its awesomeness.

Today though I have to agree, it ain't all that. It's good, very good (lol), don't get we wrong, but it's like one of those old TV shows you show to your kids telling them how amazingly funny it was, and then you watch it and go "Actually, it's not very good is it?".

Very is an album for its time - and that's good enough for me. Just one of those "you had to be there" moments.

Lush

#25 Post by Lush »

minimal wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 2:16 pm
(i.e. objectively it's far from being their best work)

Just out of curiosity: What scale of measurement do you apply to OBJECTIVELY rate albums, thus arriving at the conclusion above? I am genuinely intrigued.
"Unprofessional? Us? Sir. Might I with due respect remind you that Mister Vandemar and myself burned down the City of Troy? We brought the Black Plague to Flanders. We have assassinated a dozen kings, five popes, half a hundred heroes and two accredited gods. Our last commission before this was the torturing to death of an entire monastery in sixteenth century Tuscany. We are utterly professional." - Mr Croup

Greendrake

#26 Post by Greendrake »

Lush wrote:
Tue 05 May 2020, 11:39 am
Just out of curiosity: What scale of measurement do you apply to OBJECTIVELY rate albums, thus arriving at the conclusion above? I am genuinely intrigued.
They must have been gifted with the most sagacious taste and impartial sense of objectivity possible. Ordinary mortals simply lack that sophistication.

markrobertnolan

#27 Post by markrobertnolan »

Nickname wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 12:38 am
Greendrake wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 12:17 am
Nickname wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:27 pm
Anyway, I'd like to know what you think about this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUH28yiI3I
Mind writing down a summary? I don't wanna watch.
Bear in mind he comes from other generation and from USA he didn't live the same passion and fever we were living in 80's and in Europe when and where PSB were the top of pop music. That's why I think it's interesting to know his opinion. He even appreciates the good form of the first albums going better and better until Very (with the exception of Behaviour, I know hardcore fans think it's probably their best album but I agree with him) like one of the highest points with Introspective. Then going down with Bilingual, a bit higher Nightlife and probably the lowest point with Release. It improves with Fundamental, a bit better with Release but going down again with Elysium. But he appreciates a lot to Electric like a good back to the form and Super too but in a minor key. Hotspot goes down again.

He explains why but for that, you have to watch the video.
I absolutely agree with the guy. He’s absolutely right about Electric and Super being high quality again before going down again to the mess that is Hotspot. I’ve stopped listening to it (and that includes my version in which I’ve replaced “You’re the One” with “At Rock Bottom”, and “Wedding in Berlin” with “Decide” which makes it 20% better....