Review: the most common thought from a non PSB fan about the PSB discography

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Nickname

#1 Post by Nickname »

Before people start moaning about why this video is not part of the Youtube thread, I want to say I really believe this review deserves its own thread.

First of all, it came from a non PSB fan but he has been listening the whole discography from PSB (all the studio albums, one after another). Even when you can see it's quite young and looks like he didn't know too much about PSB. He is probably from USA. So his review is not enthusiastic but I think it's quite fair taking into account he hasn't been living the big era of PSB in the 80's like us.

I mean, I think it's particulary interesting because he describes the high and low points from PSB's catalogue with no fanatacism. I think it's quite clever with the quallity of each album.

I know it's very controversial because there a lot of people who think everything it's only a matter of personal taste but I'm not agree with that. Maybe you are not a Bealtes fan but I don't think you could say Sgt Pepper's is a bad album.

Anyway, I'd like to know what you think about this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovUH28yiI3I

rashomon

#2 Post by rashomon »

Just finished watching ....

It IS a matter of personal taste - he says so at the start himself and how can it be anything else?

We’ve see this only too clearly here on this forum - we petheads have so many varying views between us!

Having said, I was expecting him to come in all hating but he offers a fair reaction to the albums and I enjoyed watching this

Having heard them with fresh ears and back to back and probably just once per album (I’m guessing) means he won’t be able to truly appreciate the work and the songs are judged without any context

PS Sgt Pepper is an ‘ok’ album ... much prefer Revolver personally
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Greendrake

Re: Review: the most common thought from a non PSB fan about the PSB discography

#3 Post by Greendrake »

Nickname wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:27 pm
Mind writing down a summary? I don't wanna watch.

Nickname

Re: Review: the most common thought from a non PSB fan about the PSB discography

#4 Post by Nickname »

Greendrake wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 12:17 am
Nickname wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:27 pm
Mind writing down a summary? I don't wanna watch.
Bear in mind he comes from other generation and from USA he didn't live the same passion and fever we were living in 80's and in Europe when and where PSB were the top of pop music. That's why I think it's interesting to know his opinion. He even appreciates the good form of the first albums going better and better until Very (with the exception of Behaviour, I know hardcore fans think it's probably their best album but I agree with him) like one of the highest points with Introspective. Then going down with Bilingual, a bit higher Nightlife and probably the lowest point with Release. It improves with Fundamental, a bit better with Yes but going down again with Elysium. But he appreciates a lot to Electric like a good back to the form and Super too but in a minor key. Hotspot goes down again.

He explains why but for that, you have to watch the video.
Last edited by Nickname on Tue 12 May 2020, 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leesmapman

#5 Post by leesmapman »

Ah, it's The Wonky Angle, I've watched some stuff from him, he did a full Jean-Michel Jarre retrospective.

joe stalin

#6 Post by joe stalin »

I watched this with a sceptical eye. Overall, it was better than I feared and hats off to him doing his homework.

Not sure I agree with his rankings but he explained his with conviction and that’s ok.

Absolutely agree with his disdain for wedding in Berlin. It joins tripe such as winner, ego music, hold on, early stuff, catastrophe, most of bilingual, integral (album version), and legacy.

So around 25 definite misses but so easy to remove these from playlists, if not so easy to remove the scarring from memory.

In my hotspot album, ends with decide. As it always should have.

Disco.

#7 Post by Disco. »

Bilingual is a fantastic album.

retrofuturist

#8 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Interesting to hear the perspective of a non-fan... what resonates with them, what doesn't, and why.

Retro. :)

jules

#9 Post by jules »

joe stalin wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 11:12 am
I watched this with a sceptical eye. Overall, it was better than I feared and hats off to him doing his homework.

Not sure I agree with his rankings but he explained his with conviction and that’s ok.

Absolutely agree with his disdain for wedding in Berlin. It joins tripe such as winner, ego music, hold on, early stuff, catastrophe, most of bilingual, integral (album version), and legacy.
So around 25 definite misses but so easy to remove these from playlists, if not so easy to remove the scarring from memory.

In my hotspot album, ends with decide. As it always should have.
Except ego music, hold on, early stuff, catastrophe, most of bilingual, integral (album version), and legacy are great.

retrofuturist

#10 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
jules wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 3:45 am
Except ego music, hold on, early stuff, catastrophe, most of bilingual, integral (album version), and legacy are great.
It's fine as a fan to say that, but I'm sure even if you surveyed fans, you would find that most of these (Integral aside) were well and truly in the bottom half of the canon. Geowayne's ratings project would likely back it up.

Retro. :)

minimal

#11 Post by minimal »

I stopped watching after a couple of minutes. The long introduction is weird. The way he formulates is not on point. I don't think he's a front of camera guy and ultimately I felt uncomfortable watching the video. Just being honest here.

Anyway, people disliking/moaning about Wedding in Berlin certainly don't understand or get that it's a fun track with a beautiful message. it perfectly captures what Berlin is about. So, it's a beautiful track that provides a fitting ending for a solid record. Also, it's the best ending of a PSB record in aaages. Saying this, the endings of PSB records always tend to be difficult/disturbing.

As for Bilingual, I still rate it as one of their most interesting and diverse records. I never understood how people don't like it. The colours, artwork/sleeve designs, video clips, photographs, songs (especially the b-sides, too), the Savoy residency ... it's all pretty much perfect imho. There's nothing in the PSB canon that's quite as atmospheric as Discoteca.

Decide, however, should have been part of its own record with tracks of a similar kind. That's the direction I'd love them to go.

m+

Nickname

#12 Post by Nickname »

minimal wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 5:54 am
I stopped watching after a couple of minutes. The long introduction is weird. The way he formulates is not on point. I don't think he's a front of camera guy and ultimately I felt uncomfortable watching the video. Just being honest here.

Anyway, people disliking/moaning about Wedding in Berlin certainly don't understand or get that it's a fun track with a beautiful message. it perfectly captures what Berlin is about. So, it's a beautiful track that provides a fitting ending for a solid record. Also, it's the best ending of a PSB record in aaages. Saying this, the endings of PSB records always tend to be difficult/disturbing.

As for Bilingual, I still rate it as one of their most interesting and diverse records. I never understood how people don't like it. The colours, artwork/sleeve designs, video clips, photographs, songs (especially the b-sides, too), the Savoy residency ... it's all pretty much perfect imho. There's nothing in the PSB canon that's quite as atmospheric as Discoteca.

Decide, however, should have been part of its own record with tracks of a similar kind. That's the direction I'd love them to go.

m+
About Weding in Berlin, I think the chorus is quite clever but the part with electronic bits is quite random. Any Dj can do something similar.

About Bilingual, it was very clear even in the visual concept of the cd sleeve, it wasn't as spectacular as Very was. For me, Very was like the big PSB's blockbuster and the result of a big work, EMI put a lot of money on it. Sonically and artistically was much better than Bilingual and I like Bilingual.

Disco.

#13 Post by Disco. »

Very is SO overrated, don’t like the production. Loved the concept of it and the videos etc.

Disco.

#14 Post by Disco. »

Disco. wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm
Very is SO overrated, don’t like the production, and i5 sounds so dated now. Loved the whole concept behind it though. Videos costumes, videos “Lego box” etc.
Relentless is fantastic.