The End Of The World (Needs more love)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Paninaro2020

The End Of The World (Needs more love)

#1 Post by Paninaro2020 »

Why has this song never been played live? :grumble:

I can't understand why this song doesn't even have any official remixes or extended mix? To me it would of made a way better single than 'So Hard' (A song that drags down Behaviour!)

The song is highly relevant now, the lyrics are just as powerful ("The prophets all predicted extinction, the virgin spoke in apparition, but if it all came to pass now, you'd feel we all deserve it somehow.")

Surprised this song has been so neglected by Neil and Chris to me it is one of their most timeless pieces of music (Behaviour as a whole is too! Well maybe not so hard :shifty: ...)

But if someone tried maybe they would realise its a song that could do with an update for the current time. I know a lot of fans think the song is similar to Depeche Modes 'Enjoy The Silence' but I myself find that to be a really lazy and inaccurate comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92J9wAHVCaY
Test The Limits Of Your Inhibition

Greendrake

Re: The End Of The World (Needs more love)

#2 Post by Greendrake »

Paninaro2020 wrote:
Sun 26 Apr 2020, 9:14 pm
I can't understand why this song doesn't even have any official remixes or extended mix?
Clearly because it was not a single, and didn't have the luck of those several non-singles in PSB catalogue that got remixed.
Neither the first, nor the last gem to be left undisturbed.
Start a petition :lol:

Paninaro2020

#3 Post by Paninaro2020 »

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 26 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm
Paninaro2020 wrote:
I can't understand why this song doesn't even have any official remixes or extended mix?
Start a petition :lol:
You joke but I am very tempted...

Pod

#4 Post by Pod »

Hey, leave So Hard alone - a cracking tune. Behaviour as a whole is just phenomenal, was playing only the wind the other day, and not a lentil in sight!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Integralist

#5 Post by Integralist »

Paninaro2020 wrote:
Why has this song never been played live? :grumble:

I can't understand why this song doesn't even have any official remixes or extended mix? To me it would of made a way better single than 'So Hard' (A song that drags down Behaviour!)

The song is highly relevant now, the lyrics are just as powerful ("The prophets all predicted extinction, the virgin spoke in apparition, but if it all came to pass now, you'd feel we all deserve it somehow.")

Surprised this song has been so neglected by Neil and Chris to me it is one of their most timeless pieces of music (Behaviour as a whole is too! Well maybe not so hard :shifty: ...)

But if someone tried maybe they would realise its a song that could do with an update for the current time. I know a lot of fans think the song is similar to Depeche Modes 'Enjoy The Silence' but I myself find that to be a really lazy and inaccurate comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92J9wAHVCaY
What? So Hard is absolutely fantastic.

Luke Colorado

#6 Post by Luke Colorado »

The best song on Behavior.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

DJAMIX

#7 Post by DJAMIX »

I love this song along with Being Boring and My October Symphony
One can't find the way to peace. Peace is the way itself. (Gandhi)

Young Offender

#8 Post by Young Offender »

I love The End of the World, great song and perfect on Behaviour.

The lyrics and the way they are sung sound so Intelligent and the music is brilliant.

Great memories of this song, In 1991 I Was playing Behaviour for months non-stop after having just seen the Performance concert in L.A., wishing they would have played this just before Your Funny Uncle or right after would have been a perfect ending to an amazing concert.

TallThinMan

#9 Post by TallThinMan »

I agree that it’s an underrated gem, although not better than So Hard. The “At midnight in desperation…” middle bit is particularly gorgeous. Wasn’t the song originally written to be the B-side to Heart?

daveid

#10 Post by daveid »

I've always loved this song. For me the whole of Behaviour was just a build-up to this track and I love how Nervously segues into it. Not bothered about a live version. Maybe it's best kept as a hidden gem.

Here's a question - which version do people prefer? The 1990/2018 version or the 2001 edit? :wink:

Paninaro2020

#11 Post by Paninaro2020 »

daveid wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:56 am
Here's a question - which version do people prefer? The 1990/2018 version or the 2001 edit? :wink:
Some days its the 1990 others its the 2001 version :lol: , I do like how Nervously builds up to it.

Paninaro2020

#12 Post by Paninaro2020 »

Pod wrote:
Sun 26 Apr 2020, 10:48 pm
Hey, leave So Hard alone - a cracking tune. Behaviour as a whole is just phenomenal, was playing only the wind the other day, and not a lentil in sight!
I agree So Hard is cracking but I feel it is the odd one out on Behaviour, would of fitted Introspective or Very more!

domino

#13 Post by domino »

TallThinMan wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 8:13 am
Wasn’t the song originally written to be the B-side to Heart?
Didn't they took I get excited for the B-Side of Heart, because they had nothing else to give?
I thought Chris came up with the instrumental in the last moment and it kicked out Miserablism?
A blues would be in B flat, pain defining wisdom,
but the soul is in the high hat, programmed in the system.

bongsteve

#14 Post by bongsteve »

This Must Be the Place
My October Symphony
The End of the World

…my 3 favorite tracks on the album, any one of them could have been a single IMO which is a tough call on an album full of great tracks.

bongsteve

#15 Post by bongsteve »

Paninaro2020 wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 10:06 am
Pod wrote:
Sun 26 Apr 2020, 10:48 pm
I agree So Hard is cracking but I feel it is the odd one out on Behaviour, would of fitted Introspective or Very more!
Absolutely agree with this...really felt a bit out of place with the feel of the rest of the album. Always enjoyed the track though.