Videography

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Videography

#1 Post by Patrick Bateman »

The sweet lyric video for I don't wanna made me think of PSB's videos over their career. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there was a general perception that their videos were never up to the quality of their singles - which I totally disagree with. I think that more often than not they've made entertaining pop videos with some classic imagery that frequently complemented the single.

What's everybody's favourite/least favourite video and video era of PSB? They consistently made videos up to Elysium, didn't they?

daveid

Re: Videography

#2 Post by daveid »

They dropped the ball at the very last Parly single though...

Patrick Bateman

#4 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Greendrake wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 1:20 pm
2007: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16919
2012: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27117
Yep, I'm so terribly sorry about asking a question after just the eight years. Next time I'll wait the full decade.

Patrick Bateman

#5 Post by Patrick Bateman »

daveid wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 1:14 pm
That was strange. The imagery from the single sleeves hinted at some kind of sci-fi aesthetic but Parlophone clearly weren't going to chuck any money at a group that were leaving the label. Rather a low-key departure all things considered.

Flaffer

#6 Post by Flaffer »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 2:07 pm
daveid wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 1:14 pm
That was strange. The imagery from the single sleeves hinted at some kind of sci-fi aesthetic but Parlophone clearly weren't going to chuck any money at a group that were leaving the label. Rather a low-key departure all things considered.
I thought the sleeves looked fantastic, thought it strange they never used that aesthetic again, particularly on the tour. Having just realised the lyric video does a slight sci-fi look with the scrolling text, as seen at beginning of Star Wars movies, which I believe was a homage to the credits of the old Flash Gordon serials.
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Pod

#7 Post by Pod »

For me, my favourite era (video wise) is for Very. Such a departure for them to be working on ‘other worldly’ scenarios - especially when compared to the era preceding it. I recall it being quite pioneering at the time. What was the guy’s name? Howard Greenhalgh or something? I also like the busking video in London too.
Least favourite has to be the bilingual era, se a vida is not only my least liked PSB single, but the video is too. Single-Bilingual was marginally better and Before was forgettable. Winner as well - least said the better.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

One of the crowd

#8 Post by One of the crowd »

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 2:04 pm
Greendrake wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 1:20 pm
2007: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16919
2012: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27117
Yep, I'm so terribly sorry about asking a question after just the eight years. Next time I'll wait the full decade.
Actually, you were 3 years too late.

As punishment you will now be forced to watch the Home And Dry video on loop for the next 3 hours.
Fishing

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

What Have I Done To Deserve This? I love, the classy tuxedos and the show girls.
I like the demeanour of Neil and Chris, same in So Hard though the video isn't as entertaining.
London is really nice too, that real life capture of London and seeing Neil and Chris busking in a fairly humble way.
Suburbia and West End girls are real classics, hard to fault them.
Was It Worth It? Is practically perfect.
Ab Fab, fairly memorable IMO.
Did you see me coming does it's purpose.
Twenty Something I don't mind.

It's better when they actually have something filmed and produced. Some of them are reused footage.

The recent videos have been a bit of a cop-out though.
Can't they make another West End girls or So Hard, where it's not overtly gay?
Monkey Business is well produced, but you have those fruity sailors and the transvestite which makes the video less serious than I'd prefer. Though I suppose the song wouldn't suit a "serious" video.

Can you guys imagine what type of video they would have made during the Electric era if they incorporated the costumes? Something super-sci-fi...

I don't wanna is nice, I'd like to say.

leesmapman

#10 Post by leesmapman »

The age of MTV is over, and so is the age of lush music videos. But they've made some nice lyrics videos for their last songs. On social media is a cleverly edited animation and might be one of my favourite PSB videos, despite being not really a "real" music video.

Markpro

#11 Post by Markpro »

Suburbia for me is a perfect video, i must admit Jealousy is also a very good along with the extended video of So Hard but for me i always remember Flamboyant fondly as that Japanese game show and the costumes were excellent and something i had never seen done before.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Synthrobot

#12 Post by Synthrobot »

Love: Flamboyant.
Hate: Winner

Flamboyant really stands out, but also love Integral (colour version) Liberation & I Wouldn't Normally Do This Kind of Thing. Oh and that extended version of So Hard, LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Winner is c**p, I hate it. It is a big fat doo doo. Also Twentysomething just has nothing to do with the song it's been totally shoehorned in, that said at least we got a video. The last two have been ace though!

Having gone back through them because of this topic, I've decided in general they make excellent videos. Apart from winner, did I mention it's doo doo.

Undertaker

#13 Post by Undertaker »

The Very era are all brilliant. Favourite though has to be Heart. Pretty much all their vids were spot on. The only two boring ones for me are Love Comes Quickly and Was It Worth It? The latter is a poor song too.

Wasnt there some sort of appeal to find all the Its Alright babies?

Great topic by the way.

rashomon

#14 Post by rashomon »

I've always felt the PSB could have done a much better job in their video output considering how precise they've been about their visual aesthetic - undersold themselves a bit in this department I'd say.

However there is some great stuff to be enjoyed still - mostly from 'back in the day'

West End girls - stone cold classic
Suburbia - it has dogs, it has Chris in those shades, what's not to like?
It's alright - cute bubbas everywhere - love it
Being Boring - perfect in all ways
Where the streets - playful and I love the stark graphic look on this one
Can you forgive her - zany and iconic and summarises the overall mood of the album at the time
I don't know what you want ... cool and cinematic and the last one that sticks in my mind as being a decent pop video

After that ... well, it's a struggle.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Eleven

#15 Post by Eleven »

Imperial phase is perfection in video terms, I feel embarrased seeing their last promo video, apart from the song, I prefer the cover or nothing than that