Bring him back - I know who I want to produce the next album

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
psbfannyc

Re: Bring him back - I know who I want to produce the next album

#61 Post by psbfannyc » Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:52 pm

"Bring 'him' back"? How about a "female" producer...or a "transgender"/"them" producer? Gender can be so fluid these days. "Him" is such a label. How about "artist"? A more open-minded label.

Future Lover

#62 Post by Future Lover » Wed 29 Apr 2020, 12:29 am

psbfannyc wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:52 pm
How about a "female" producer...or a "transgender"/"them" producer?

Edited like this, it's your very first good post here, congrats!
You might want to acquaint yourself with M.I.A., Björk, Grimes, Georgia, SOPHIE, Arca... no need for quotation marks there.

Greendrake

#63 Post by Greendrake » Wed 29 Apr 2020, 1:51 am

psbfannyc wrote:
Gender can be so fluid these days.
It can, but what's the relevance to music production? I mean, does it really make difference all other things being equal?

retrofuturist

#64 Post by retrofuturist » Wed 29 Apr 2020, 3:15 am

Greetings,
Greendrake wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 1:51 am
psbfannyc wrote:
Gender can be so fluid these days.
It can, but what's the relevance to music production? I mean, does it really make difference all other things being equal?
Agreed - just keep the fluid off the technology, tech and fluid do not mix.

Retro. :)

Dog

#65 Post by Dog » Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:53 am

TwizzleUK wrote:I still think Ulrich Schnauss would be a perfect match. His 'Memory Of The Future' remix was beautiful, and if 'Burning The Heather' is indicative of the style of the next album (in 'Annually' they state it was initially intended for the next one), Ulrich's own warm organic electronic instrumentations would sound great blended with PSB's melancholic moods.
I’ve been thinking this for a while as well. I loved the remix and got into his back catalogue as a result.

I can imagine some electronic tracks with Ulrich and possibly more guitar centric tracks with Bernard Butler producing as well. Laid back / pastoral / dreamy / soundscape type stuff. Tracey Thorn could guest. Get Price in for additional production duties on a few of the most commercial tracks for single release.

Equally we may well be looking at a self-produced album.
Woof.

psbfannyc

#66 Post by psbfannyc » Wed 29 Apr 2020, 12:33 pm

Dog wrote:
Wed 29 Apr 2020, 9:53 am
TwizzleUK wrote:I still think Ulrich Schnauss would be a perfect match. His 'Memory Of The Future' remix was beautiful, and if 'Burning The Heather' is indicative of the style of the next album (in 'Annually' they state it was initially intended for the next one), Ulrich's own warm organic electronic instrumentations would sound great blended with PSB's melancholic moods.
I’ve been thinking this for a while as well. I loved the remix and got into his back catalogue as a result.

I can imagine some electronic tracks with Ulrich and possibly more guitar centric tracks with Bernard Butler producing as well. Laid back / pastoral / dreamy / soundscape type stuff. Tracey Thorn could guest. Get Price in for additional production duties on a few of the most commercial tracks for single release.

Equally we may well be looking at a self-produced album.
Ulrich! Yes...good idea. I have attended some of his modular synth speaking engagements here in Berlin over the last few years and I think he and Chris would have fun.

Markpro

#67 Post by Markpro » Wed 29 Apr 2020, 1:22 pm

psbfannyc wrote:
"Bring 'him' back"? How about a "female" producer...or a "transgender"/"them" producer? Gender can be so fluid these days. "Him" is such a label. How about "artist"? A more open-minded label.
Yes but the context the OP is talking about is Bobby Orlando and bringing him back, last time i checked Bobby O identify's as a man.
If Bobby O was female then i'm sure the OP would have said "she", in these days of multiple gender types i think the question asked on the first post was pretty obvious...or is it just me? :?
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Future Lover

#68 Post by Future Lover » Wed 29 Apr 2020, 5:41 pm

Yeah, it's obvious, this poster was just being a nasty troll.

Spittingcat

#69 Post by Spittingcat » Fri 01 May 2020, 7:04 pm

SOPHIE would be great… something more left field for the next album would be great… maybe Nick Höppner?

markrobertnolan

#70 Post by markrobertnolan » Mon 18 May 2020, 4:39 pm

G_Goalden wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:50 am
I'd love them to do something with Rick Smith and Karl Hyde from Underworld. I think they would have a very similar dynamic and it would be great to hear what a ''pop' album and 'harder dance' album would sound like. An Underworld/Relentless 2 album would be very exciting.

Plus a New Order/PSB/Underworld combined tour would be my idea of a very top night out (remember them?)

G.
I absolutely love this idea!!!!! Sadly many PSB fans are not dance fans (Goodness me, its a shock isn't it,) and they want them both sat on a stool singing "You only tell me you love me when you're drunk." So if this doesn't happen (and surely to God it should,) blame them! You can spot them a mile off. They stick the boot in to Super and only pretend to like Electric because they'd look daft if they didn't...…..

However, if "Wedding in Berlin" was Stuart's fault then he's just overstayed his welcome now.....

Greendrake

#71 Post by Greendrake » Tue 19 May 2020, 5:10 am

markrobertnolan wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 4:39 pm
Sadly many PSB fans are not dance fans (Goodness me, its a shock isn't it,)
Nah, that's neither shock nor sadness to me. The lead vocalist hardly ever dances on stage. The other one, main composer, although a good dancer, rarely does it on stage either. Many fans just share that special, barely moving way of enjoying music. Let the general public dance; fans are somewhat different in that respect :D