Bring him back - I know who I want to produce the next album

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
dbaseboy

Re: Bring him back - I know who I want to produce the next album

#46 Post by dbaseboy » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:14 am

@df118junkie pmsl agree! Some great suggestions but not Rich X. Next producer needs to be current otherwise they’re on the slippery slope (think Dawson/Elysium). What ever, you can bet that SP will be involved somewhere (sighs) as he’s their ‘musical director’.

alexis99

#47 Post by alexis99 » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 11:38 am

Gesaffelstein would be great in a dark techno album.

raggatwin

#48 Post by raggatwin » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 6:19 pm

Flaffer wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 9:28 pm
raggatwin wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 8:16 pm
Kornel kovacs who remixed Twenty Something, his album is brilliant

or real lies could be interesting
Agree re: the Kovac album, I was disappointed with the Twenty Something remix as I felt he was capable of a lot better. Although as a track, rather than remix, it’s pretty good. I love that track by Icarus,featuring Real Lies, ‘Man of the Land’

Yes, agree with all that...although I'd never heard of him before twentysomething
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

TwizzleUK

#49 Post by TwizzleUK » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 6:30 pm

I still think Ulrich Schnauss would be a perfect match. His 'Memory Of The Future' remix was beautiful, and if 'Burning The Heather' is indicative of the style of the next album (in 'Annually' they state it was initially intended for the next one), Ulrich's own warm organic electronic instrumentations would sound great blended with PSB's melancholic moods.

Tom Angel

#50 Post by Tom Angel » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 6:55 pm

Ulrich Schnaus would be PERFECT. To continue with the behaviour vibe.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Pod

#51 Post by Pod » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 7:13 pm

I’d like to see them work with Kolsch (not the German beer) at some point. Agree about Schnauss. Loscil would be another good shout too.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

leesmapman

#52 Post by leesmapman » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 8:35 pm

alexis99 wrote:Gesaffelstein would be great in a dark techno album.
Oh absolutely. Perturbator too

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

telys

#53 Post by telys » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 9:53 pm

dbaseboy wrote:
Sat 25 Apr 2020, 10:14 am
@df118junkie pmsl agree! Some great suggestions but not Rich X. Next producer needs to be current otherwise they’re on the slippery slope (think Dawson/Elysium). What ever, you can bet that SP will be involved somewhere (sighs) as he’s their ‘musical director’.
You're absolutely right, time to bring in Shep Pettibone.
----
You've got me all wrong

telys

#54 Post by telys » Sat 25 Apr 2020, 9:56 pm

To sum things up. I've read three good suggestions:
Anne Dudley, Hans Zimmer and Alan Wilder. Apart from Bobby O that is. Have you heard My beautiful laundrette? It's the sound we've been waiting for, the proper banging and laser, not that Stuart Price-millenial crap. The sound of when going to the dancefloor was hard labour.
----
You've got me all wrong

NikacP0kac

#55 Post by NikacP0kac » Sun 26 Apr 2020, 1:01 am

I'd rather have them continue with Stuart Price, than make another camp-ish record like Elysium was.

What I really wish for the next album is that they go either:
- the deep electronic down-tempo route, like Invisible falsely promised Elysium was going to be or
- a darker techno route, so as to continue what Fluorescent started.

So, Stuart or someone completely new and I'm the happiest Pethead there is. :mrgreen:
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

user29

#56 Post by user29 » Mon 27 Apr 2020, 8:18 am

Ulrcih Schnauss
Bernard Butler
Harold F
Now, my head is spinning....
http://www.last.fm/user/pologeezer

Future Lover

#57 Post by Future Lover » Mon 27 Apr 2020, 9:17 am

Shep is also incredibly dated and hasn't worked for decades. They better throw in the towel immediately if they decide to go down that road.
Like, I get it, you folks are nostalgic, but that sound, as well as your youth, it ain't coming back. For dated shit, go listen to Karl Bartos, OMD, Erasure...
But I'm glad to read so many fresh names too, will be checking them out!

Old Soak

#58 Post by Old Soak » Mon 27 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm

I get the rush to today's 'Here today, forgotten tomorrow' producer or remixer who are having their 15 minutes of fame for singles but not for albums. Nothing is bound to make it date quickly than that choice. Someone with considerable experience of the mainstream like Giles Martin or Quincy Jones, or right out of left field jazz producer Brian Bacchus who produced Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit, that would be a different vibe.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

telys

#59 Post by telys » Tue 28 Apr 2020, 8:49 pm

Old Soak wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm
I get the rush to today's 'Here today, forgotten tomorrow' producer or remixer who are having their 15 minutes of fame for singles but not for albums. Nothing is bound to make it date quickly than that choice. Someone with considerable experience of the mainstream like Giles Martin or Quincy Jones, or right out of left field jazz producer Brian Bacchus who produced Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit, that would be a different vibe.
Yep, that's the thing. PSB worked with lots of producers/remixers etc. But where are they now?
Is it the case of "I'm a vampire too", as Neil said in Nightlife FL booklet.
Trevor Horn is still around but all the others they come and they go quickly. It's 2020, they're 65-years old. Who gives a damn if the sound would be "dated" on one of all these albums...
----
You've got me all wrong

TallThinMan

#60 Post by TallThinMan » Tue 28 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

telys wrote:
Tue 28 Apr 2020, 8:49 pm
Old Soak wrote:
Mon 27 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm
Yep, that's the thing. PSB worked with lots of producers/remixers etc. But where are they now?
Is it the case of "I'm a vampire too", as Neil said in Nightlife FL booklet.
Trevor Horn is still around but all the others they come and they go quickly. It's 2020, they're 65-years old. Who gives a damn if the sound would be "dated" on one of all these albums...
Pet Shop Boys are a pop act, so should work with a contemporary pop or dance music producer. It’s a long time since Trevor Horn was having those hits with Frankie Goes to Hollywood. They’ve done their Trevor Horn album.