Spotify

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Machu

Spotify

#1 Post by Machu »

Today The Pop Kids Remixes went out from Sporify... :oops:

retrofuturist

Re: Spotify

#2 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Machu wrote:
Wed 04 Mar 2020, 7:14 pm
It does baffle me the number of people nowadays who think, "Oh, I don't need to own/buy any music nowadays... I have Spotify".

I guess if someone's not all that into music, or has pretty generic tastes, then maybe that's fair enough, but genuine fans of any artist cannot afford to be so complacent.

Retro. :)

leesmapman

#3 Post by leesmapman »

Spotify is for people who hear music, but not listen to it.
Last edited by leesmapman on Thu 05 Mar 2020, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greendrake

#4 Post by Greendrake »

Totally agree with Retro on this. Relying on streaming services for repetitive listening of what you like is such a scatterbrained approach that I don't feel sorry for anyone who gets eventually let down by it. If I like a piece of music I will always own a, if possible, lossless copy and won't depend or anyone or anything (e.g. someone's will or internet connectivity) to be able to enjoy it whenever/wherever I like.

Effen Vida

#5 Post by Effen Vida »

Machu wrote:
Wed 04 Mar 2020, 7:14 pm
They’re still on Tidal, if that’s any help to you?

Synthrobot

#6 Post by Synthrobot »

...and Apple Music.

glennjridge

#7 Post by glennjridge »

An extended member of my family who works for apple told me they were going to wind down I-tunes music buying site and switch to a subscription template so people will just stream music and not own. I am fairly devastated as thats where I buy 100% of my music and they have been so good lately with uploading the PSB catalog and all my other fav artists and even rare stuff.
I want to own the music. not visit it like a divorced father visiting his kids.

Greendrake

#8 Post by Greendrake »

glennjridge wrote:
Sat 07 Mar 2020, 8:29 am
Juno and Qobuz will (hopefully) not stop selling downloads. Apple can suck if it wants to (it has not been selling lossless anyway, so I care even less).

glennjridge

#9 Post by glennjridge »

I wish I had your ears. I just for the life of me cannot differentiate between various file types, mp3/wave/lossless etc etc

Bjossi

#10 Post by Bjossi »

glennjridge wrote:
Sun 08 Mar 2020, 3:08 am
I wish I had your ears. I just for the life of me cannot differentiate between various file types, mp3/wave/lossless etc etc
Just to clarify one thing: Lossless and wave are equivalent quality wise, when you decode a lossless file you get the original input audio data, bit identical. There is no reason to use wave files unless decoding speed is more important to you than storage space.

As for lossy files like mp3s, usually only good, trained ears can tell the difference between a medium-to-high quality mp3 file and the full quality source, and I don't think those ears would notice most of the imperfections during casual listening. If you want to find out what quality level is good enough for you, ABX testing is a useful tool for that, it avoids all knowledge bias and puts your ears (and listening hardware) to the test.

kellyken

#11 Post by kellyken »

When it comes to Spotify, it reminds me to another music streaming service - Tidal. It is also a popular service for people to listen to music. But to play the Tidal music on other devices if you want, you need to use the AudFree Tidal Music Converter for Mac to help you. With it, you can get the local Tidal music files on your computer and can transfer them to other players for listening.
Last edited by kellyken on Fri 17 Apr 2020, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Padster

#12 Post by Padster »

glennjridge wrote:
An extended member of my family who works for apple told me they were going to wind down I-tunes music buying site and switch to a subscription template so people will just stream music and not own. I am fairly devastated as thats where I buy 100% of my music and they have been so good lately with uploading the PSB catalog and all my other fav artists and even rare stuff.
I’ve literally just cancelled my Apple Music subscription.

For years I’ve built up my iTunes library importing CDs / MP3s and buying occasional stuff. Apple Music just basically screwed up my entire library with trying to match songs from CDs / MP3s with songs in their database. It left albums in the library with tracks missing or completely deleted which in turn affected playlists etc. The key was the “cloud” version of Apple Music (where you can share you library between devices), switching that off stopped all the screw ups to some degree although it still did some strange things.

It’s taken me the best part of a month to rebuild my library and playlists back to what they were before Apple Music appeared. I always back up my library to another computer / disk but hadn’t realised what Apple Music was doing so my backups became worthless.

Bizarrely I only found this out when I went to listen to Elysium further listening and tracks were missing, Leaving being the first track missing.

Just a warning to some who still use iTunes as a music server and use Apple Music subscription on the same computer don’t get bitten and check your albums haven’t been screwed up.

sonicbleep

#13 Post by sonicbleep »

So quick question - has anyone been using soundcloud go+ and any feedback?

I use Spotify and have done for sometime - I liked the fact you could use Spotify with DJ software and mix from spotify playlists and albums - which is quite handy if you don't want to fill your laptop or hard drive up with MP3s. In June/July Spotify are withdrawing support for any 3rd party DJ apps, so most DJ platforms are moving over to Soundcloud Go+ or beatport.

Bands like the Pets have mostly a copy and paste of whats on Spotify on Souncloud go+ but their older stuff isn't on beatport (not sure if that's a Parlophone Vs X2 thing.

Gabby

#14 Post by Gabby »

Padster wrote:
Sat 04 Apr 2020, 11:07 am
glennjridge wrote:
I’ve literally just cancelled my Apple Music subscription.

For years I’ve built up my iTunes library importing CDs / MP3s and buying occasional stuff. Apple Music just basically screwed up my entire library with trying to match songs from CDs / MP3s with songs in their database. It left albums in the library with tracks missing or completely deleted which in turn affected playlists etc. The key was the “cloud” version of Apple Music (where you can share you library between devices), switching that off stopped all the screw ups to some degree although it still did some strange things.

It’s taken me the best part of a month to rebuild my library and playlists back to what they were before Apple Music appeared. I always back up my library to another computer / disk but hadn’t realised what Apple Music was doing so my backups became worthless.

Bizarrely I only found this out when I went to listen to Elysium further listening and tracks were missing, Leaving being the first track missing.

Just a warning to some who still use iTunes as a music server and use Apple Music subscription on the same computer don’t get bitten and check your albums haven’t been screwed up.
ITunes destroyed my music collection about 10 years ago. I wont go near an Apple product now.

Dont come between me and my music!

Marie loves PSB

#15 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Oh, tell me about it! - (sorry forgot to quote [before I replied] - Apple products) :down: - I put Hotspot on to my I-pod and found it difficult to do as I haven't used it in a long time. I clicked something on my P.C and it deleted all the whole music collection on my I-pod except the Hotspot album. It some how splits Dreamland to another album too which, is annoying. :oops: I am really wondering if I can be bothered to spend hours trying to get all of my collection back on it again. :wall: