New single - I don't wanna

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
User avatar
daveid
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sat 11 Feb 2006, 9:38 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#121 Post by daveid » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:46 pm

I'm surprised people aren't a bit more miffed about the reduction of b sides to one per single. It's like the 80s and early 90s again the difference being that albums were more frequent then. However I suppose Agenda and Laundrette make up for it a bit.

telys
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue 23 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#122 Post by telys » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 9:31 pm

daveid wrote:
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:46 pm
I'm surprised people aren't a bit more miffed about the reduction of b sides to one per single. It's like the 80s and early 90s again the difference being that albums were more frequent then. However I suppose Agenda and Laundrette make up for it a bit.
At least then we were guaranteed really good remixes. As it is now, there's no faith in the promise of remixes.

negative_0ne
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 3:53 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#123 Post by negative_0ne » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 10:59 pm

at this point, being the 4th single,
they probably don't have much of a budget.

for art, remixes, etc.

so, at least there is one new song, and maybe 1 decent remix.

mostly in the past, they were much more successful, so they could
afford doing videos, mixes, better artwork, and more.

at least its coming out on vinyl, and cd.

later
-1

User avatar
glennjridge
Posts: 7951
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#124 Post by glennjridge » Tue 10 Mar 2020, 11:24 pm

daveid wrote:
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 8:46 pm
I'm surprised people aren't a bit more miffed about the reduction of b sides to one per single. It's like the 80s and early 90s again the difference being that albums were more frequent then. However I suppose Agenda and Laundrette make up for it a bit.
Me too. maybe they think they are putting out too much material and as such people arent as excited for a new release if they are receiving alot of new material along the way.

I miss 2 per single though! charge more money! I will pay it.

User avatar
retrofuturist
Posts: 3341
Joined: Mon 08 May 2006, 12:31 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#125 Post by retrofuturist » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 12:04 am

Greetings,

Whilst it's good that the 12" isn't identical to the single, like Monkey Business was, it still seems like a lost opportunity.

If it were up to me, we'd be seeing the album version removed, and the main Dreamland Full Intention mix included.

12" singles are designed for the dance-floor...

Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Wed 11 Mar 2020, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
billjermaine
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat 13 Oct 2012, 6:45 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#126 Post by billjermaine » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 12:12 am

Surprised at this as the choice of single. Very b-side calibre. Have a feeling New Boy will outshine it.

User avatar
vincenzosz
Posts: 758
Joined: Thu 05 Mar 2009, 5:43 pm
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#127 Post by vincenzosz » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 1:28 am

Great artwork.
Fits the theme of the song perfectly. And it’s simple, bold and eye catching.

I’m always happy when songs I don’t love become singles, often they include remixes that improve on the song.

User avatar
Andie
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri 08 Feb 2013, 9:41 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#128 Post by Andie » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 9:55 am

Future Lover wrote:
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 6:03 pm
I think it's perfect for the song - a young man waiting for that invite, only to refuse it. Is there a more perfect reduction of the song's theme than a single text on a phone screen?
Agree!! That was my first thought, I reckon it suits the theme perfectly.
I've preordered the CD.
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

User avatar
rashomon
Posts: 1384
Joined: Mon 26 Sep 2005, 11:44 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#129 Post by rashomon » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 10:10 am

vincenzosz wrote:
Wed 11 Mar 2020, 1:28 am
Great artwork.
Fits the theme of the song perfectly. And it’s simple, bold and eye catching.

I’m always happy when songs I don’t love become singles, often they include remixes that improve on the song.
This is a positive way of seeing it ...

I like 'I don't wanna' anyway but I can see that viewpoint that releasing a song you don't like gives it another chance to win doubters over.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

User avatar
tottenhammattspurs
Posts: 3321
Joined: Sat 04 Nov 2006, 6:17 pm
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#130 Post by tottenhammattspurs » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 10:27 am

In a 12 month period we've had 22 tracks released. Twenty two. From a band that have been releasing music for 37 years. Next month we have another seven NEW tracks to look forward to (B-Side plus Laundrette CD). That's 29 tracks in a little over a year. Add to that 7 official remixes and 4 U.S remixes and you can't really complain. Take your 12 favourites of those 29 tracks and that's your album. What other band that's been going as long is as prolific as that? New order have released ONE album and no B-Sides in the last ten years. Depeche release one sub-standard album and no B-sides every four years. If this amount of output means only one B-side per single then so be it.
is is and isnt isnt


User avatar
leesmapman
Posts: 1699
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#132 Post by leesmapman » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 10:39 am

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Wed 11 Mar 2020, 10:27 am
In a 12 month period we've had 22 tracks released. Twenty two. From a band that have been releasing music for 37 years. Next month we have another seven NEW tracks to look forward to (B-Side plus Laundrette CD). That's 29 tracks in a little over a year. Add to that 7 official remixes and 4 U.S remixes and you can't really complain. Take your 12 favourites of those 29 tracks and that's your album. What other band that's been going as long is as prolific as that? New order have released ONE album and no B-Sides in the last ten years. Depeche release one sub-standard album and no B-sides every four years. If this amount of output means only one B-side per single then so be it.
Hard to argue with that.

Tom Angel
Posts: 3236
Joined: Sat 04 Feb 2006, 3:09 pm
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#133 Post by Tom Angel » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 2:59 pm

Indeed, it is HARD to argue with that.

What are the 'seven NEW tracks to look forward to' though.

If it is Disco 5, I'm fairly certain they'll hold fire on more releases this year... although maybe towards the end? Who knows.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

User avatar
Sandy Shaw
Posts: 3911
Joined: Thu 29 Nov 2007, 9:36 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#134 Post by Sandy Shaw » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 3:01 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 05 Mar 2020, 1:16 pm
Sage wrote:
Thu 05 Mar 2020, 8:25 am
Sorry, what makes you say there will be no more singles? Can you back this up with proof?
Sandy Shaw is finalising the affidavit at this very moment.
Very good!

The no further singles from Hotspot was according to Neil in person.
What's for supper?

User avatar
leesmapman
Posts: 1699
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: New single - I don't wanna

#135 Post by leesmapman » Wed 11 Mar 2020, 4:01 pm

Tom Angel wrote:
Wed 11 Mar 2020, 2:59 pm
What are the 'seven NEW tracks to look forward to' though.
The b-side of "I don't wanna" and 6 new tracks from "Beautiful laundrette" (a 7th track of laundrette was a b-side of Dreamland already)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sage and 36 guests