New Pet Shop Order Boys

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TallThinMan

Re: New Pet Shop Order Boys

#46 Post by TallThinMan »

Luke Colorado wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 7:13 pm I see lots of first/second tours from electronic bands with far fewer resources than PSB and they all can manage dynamic, exciting, shows. I don’t see the challenge. Yes, I agree, it’s been their MO to put together a performance and beat it into the ground, but I’m hoping touring with the (slightly) looser New Order will inspire them to be less rigid.
I agree. The problem (if you want to call it that) is that the type of show they put on, with programmed music and lights, dancers, choreography etc. doesn’t leave any room for improvisation other than Neil’s between songs patter. It’s more like going to see a show at a theatre. First and foremost they’re songwriters presenting their songs, rather than musicians.

Luke Colorado

#47 Post by Luke Colorado »

I get it, I’m not necessarily looking for riffing within a song, id just like a dynamic set list.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Dog

#48 Post by Dog »

I think the Dreamworld setlist and show will be being built to work as a stand-alone show, a festival slot, and for this new Unity tour. I’m sure it’ll be the same core but flexible to work for each.
Woof.

TallThinMan

#49 Post by TallThinMan »

Talking of New Order, I’d be fascinated to know if Neil and Chris are on speaking terms with Hooky. It must be very awkward.

TwizzleUK

#50 Post by TwizzleUK »

Nickname wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 5:10 pm - New album (with all the promotion, interviews, podcasts, videos, TV performances, etc)
- B-sides
- Agenda
- My Beautiful Laundrette musical songs
- Musik musical songs
- Disco 5
- Re-editions of PSB versus America and Literally
- Anually
- Return of the ballet The Most Incredible Thing
- Dreamworld Tour
- New Pet Order Shop Boys Tour

Am I missing something?. What a year. 8)
It Couldn't Happen Here Blu-ray/DVD

Luke Colorado

#51 Post by Luke Colorado »

Recent interviews with Hook gave me the impression he was too old to carry the anger around. He’s got his own thing going on. I think he’s over it.

Krakatoa

#52 Post by Krakatoa »

West 4th wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 7:03 pm
Luke Colorado wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 5:27 pm Wasn’t there a Depeche show in 90/91 where Electronic opened and Neil sang? Am I making that up?
Yes I believe at Dodgers Stadium in 1990. The PSB also played with them but it was billed as Electronic.
...correct at Dodger Stadium they were billed as "Electronic", later that same year I was fortunate enough to see PSB's official US concert debut at Los Angeles' Mayan Theater.

spooky

#53 Post by spooky »

West 4th wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 7:03 pm
Luke Colorado wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 5:27 pm Wasn’t there a Depeche show in 90/91 where Electronic opened and Neil sang? Am I making that up?
Yes I believe at Dodgers Stadium in 1990. The PSB also played with them but it was billed as Electronic.
correct, and i was at 1 of those shows. PSB came on stage to perform Patience of a Saint, and Getting Away with It. Electronic also was scheduled to do their own tour for the first album(which i still have my ticket for), but they cancelled the dates.

Luke Colorado

#54 Post by Luke Colorado »

Amazing. What a thrill

Anybody know what this one-off LA show was all about in 1990?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pet-shop ... 81e05.html

Silver Age

#55 Post by Silver Age »

Luke Colorado wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 7:24 pm I get it, I’m not necessarily looking for riffing within a song, id just like a dynamic set list.
Bring back the awesome show from the first tour. With the electric chair bit as well. (I think that was on the first tour?).

drunk14

#56 Post by drunk14 »

TallThinMan wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 8:02 pm Talking of New Order, I’d be fascinated to know if Neil and Chris are on speaking terms with Hooky. It must be very awkward.
Not at all an awkward thing. They are adults. And it's normal that you can have a good relantionship with different people who can be conflicted with one another. If you are mature enough, that's not a problem. And those people should undarstand this... if they're mature enough as well.
I've been around the world for a number of reasons. I've seen it all the change of seasons, and I, my lord, may I say nothing?

TallThinMan

#57 Post by TallThinMan »

Silver Age wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 10:06 pm
Luke Colorado wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 7:24 pm I get it, I’m not necessarily looking for riffing within a song, id just like a dynamic set list.
Bring back the awesome show from the first tour. With the electric chair bit as well. (I think that was on the first tour?).
That was Suburbia/So Sorry I Said from the Performance tour, which was the second tour.

Dog

#58 Post by Dog »

Luke Colorado wrote:Amazing. What a thrill

Anybody know what this one-off LA show was all about in 1990?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pet-shop ... 81e05.html
From Literally 5:

“The Pet Shop Bays have decided to play a concert here in Los Angeles 'for a laugh", and to create excitement about Behavior and next year's tour.”

https://petshopboys.net/html/literallys ... age_1.html
Woof.

Gabby

#59 Post by Gabby »

drunk14 wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 10:07 pm
TallThinMan wrote: Mon 24 Feb 2020, 8:02 pm Talking of New Order, I’d be fascinated to know if Neil and Chris are on speaking terms with Hooky. It must be very awkward.
Not at all an awkward thing. They are adults. And it's normal that you can have a good relantionship with different people who can be conflicted with one another. If you are mature enough, that's not a problem. And those people should undarstand this... if they're mature enough as well.
Indeed. I'd pay good money to see Peter Hook and the Light as support for PSB. Could totally work. I would argue they are a better live band than NO are now having seen them twice. The Technique tour last year was brilliant. Hooky knows how to give the NO/JD fans what they want to hear.

NO last appearance in Toronto was OK but nothing to write home about.

Sage

#60 Post by Sage »

Guys this was already confirmed in another thread.
I love seeing it promoted now though, they're really celebrating it instead of it seeming incidental. It could just be for marketing...

"The Unity Tour" will it have a separate setlist then?