Annually 2020 + Free CD

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: Annually 2020 + Free CD

#301 Post by Greendrake »

The content of this post has been reserved by the author due to the unprecedented, categorical and peremptory exercise of censorship that took place on 20 May 2021.

Whereas this content can be restored, the author neither intends to do so, nor to publish any further posts to avoid any possible perception as "passive agressive", "pointless", "unhelpful", "homophobic" or "bigoted".
Last edited by Greendrake on Fri 21 May 2021, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveid

#302 Post by daveid »

My two favourites are Angelic thug and Johnny's theme. The latter reveals its beauty without the lyrics.

jasonjohn

#303 Post by jasonjohn »

BlackPanther wrote: Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:19 pm
NotInvisible wrote: Mon 20 Apr 2020, 7:03 pm They continue to record music to make themselves happy. Anyone who thinks they're raking in dough from a website exclusive needs their head checked. The print run on these things is ridiculously small.
You seriously think so? So if no-one would be buying this stuff at all, they would continue to release it just because it makes themselves happy?

I'm sure that they do like to make music. But releasing stuff in one form or the other is all about a bigger marketing plan. Up until the late 90s, releasing singles was a way to get an album in the picture and sold. Nowadays it's all about concerts, because artists make more money from that than from releasing an album. An album release is a way to get people's attention for a tour and to get concert tickets sold.

Everything that is being released in the end is a way to create or maintain a certain form of hype that results in people wanting to buy concert tickets. And yes, there will be releases that in ITSELF are not profitabele, but if in the end such release increases the amount of tickets sold, it was worth the investment.

Now once more, I stated this before, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I like most of their music, I buy their stuff. But people should stop acting like they're some kind of charity organization with the sole purpose of makeing a few thousand remaining fans happy by releasing "free" CDs. Because they're not. And no artist is.

And there's NOTHING wrong with that, but please stop being naive.
Speaking of naivety, their tours mostly sell because of their Greatest Hits. It's their earlier career that gets people in, with a fresh mix and concept from a recent album.

They've always enjoyed making albums.

I reckon they LOVE building up their catalog. They've earned the right to do it at their own pace and direction.

In years to come, it will be a pleasure for some kid to stumble on Being Boring, and then discover Behaviour, then randomly pick up Electric or Fundamental, and just be blasted by those little packages of idea and colour.

What a terrific catalog it is. The past decade has been completely worth while, on top of everything else. Loved it.

y3potential

#304 Post by y3potential »

jasonjohn wrote: Sun 26 Apr 2020, 1:05 pm
BlackPanther wrote: Sat 25 Apr 2020, 2:19 pm
NotInvisible wrote: Mon 20 Apr 2020, 7:03 pm They continue to record music to make themselves happy. Anyone who thinks they're raking in dough from a website exclusive needs their head checked. The print run on these things is ridiculously small.
You seriously think so? So if no-one would be buying this stuff at all, they would continue to release it just because it makes themselves happy?

I'm sure that they do like to make music. But releasing stuff in one form or the other is all about a bigger marketing plan. Up until the late 90s, releasing singles was a way to get an album in the picture and sold. Nowadays it's all about concerts, because artists make more money from that than from releasing an album. An album release is a way to get people's attention for a tour and to get concert tickets sold.

Everything that is being released in the end is a way to create or maintain a certain form of hype that results in people wanting to buy concert tickets. And yes, there will be releases that in ITSELF are not profitabele, but if in the end such release increases the amount of tickets sold, it was worth the investment.

Now once more, I stated this before, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I like most of their music, I buy their stuff. But people should stop acting like they're some kind of charity organization with the sole purpose of makeing a few thousand remaining fans happy by releasing "free" CDs. Because they're not. And no artist is.

And there's NOTHING wrong with that, but please stop being naive.
Speaking of naivety, their tours mostly sell because of their Greatest Hits. It's their earlier career that gets people in, with a fresh mix and concept from a recent album.

They've always enjoyed making albums.

I reckon they LOVE building up their catalog. They've earned the right to do it at their own pace and direction.

In years to come, it will be a pleasure for some kid to stumble on Being Boring, and then discover Behaviour, then randomly pick up Electric or Fundamental, and just be blasted by those little packages of idea and colour.

What a terrific catalog it is. The past decade has been completely worth while, on top of everything else. Loved it.

Totally this.. :up:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

NotInvisible

#305 Post by NotInvisible »

BlackPanther wrote: Sat 25 Apr 2020, 9:35 pm
NotInvisible wrote: Sat 25 Apr 2020, 8:59 pm Reread what I wrote.
I don't wanna.
Fair enough, you obviously didn't read it the first time, either. ;)

bongsteve

#306 Post by bongsteve »

Boring90 wrote: Fri 24 Apr 2020, 7:16 pm Arrived in the U.S. I paid for the speedy delivery.
Mine is still showing that they received the shipping notification but nothing beyond...no in transit or anything. I'm thinking 10-14 days could end up 10-14 weeks :lol:

Oznerol

#307 Post by Oznerol »

Completely amazed that my package arrived today, at home in Argentina..altough I paid originally for normal shipping (pre-Covid times...) they send it via DHL..so I went into the situation to pay some extra taxes and import fees, but it´s better anyway than losing an out-of-stock item in the limbo maybe forever, as the normal international shipping delivery is mostly suspended here on this days...
A nice surprice on this quarrantine times...(and I was needing one...)
This is not my signature.

MikeyC

#308 Post by MikeyC »

Oznerol wrote: Tue 28 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm Completely amazed that my package arrived today, at home in Argentina..altough I paid originally for normal shipping (pre-Covid times...) they send it via DHL..so I went into the situation to pay some extra taxes and import fees, but it´s better anyway than losing an out-of-stock item in the limbo maybe forever, as the normal international shipping delivery is mostly suspended here on this days...
A nice surprice on this quarrantine times...(and I was needing one...)
Glad to hear that!! :)

NotInvisible

#309 Post by NotInvisible »

Anyone in the States still waiting for theirs?

MikeyC

#310 Post by MikeyC »

NotInvisible wrote: Fri 01 May 2020, 12:11 am Anyone in the States still waiting for theirs?
Yes I’m waiting in Brooklyn, NYC!! x

bongsteve

#311 Post by bongsteve »

NotInvisible wrote: Fri 01 May 2020, 12:11 am Anyone in the States still waiting for theirs?
Yep. The tracking says it's now in transit but not in the country. I'm guessing it's still a week before I receive. I'm in Southern California.

leesmapman

#312 Post by leesmapman »

Even in the Netherlands still waiting.

Danimal

#313 Post by Danimal »

Still waiting for mine in Michigan, USA. Tracking says it was sent to country of destination yesterday, guessing it will arrive in a week to ten days.

leesmapman

#314 Post by leesmapman »

I just got my copy. Interesting read.
Some things I noticed:
- the dialogue cut from "You are the one" is from Call Me By Your Name. Originally they wanted a dialogue from Fellini's 8.5, but that didn't go through because of copyrights and the owners not wanting to do it, so they asked the people form Call Me By Your Name and they agreed. Unfortunately, that was over the deadline. That's why people here heard the version with the Call Me By Your Name samples.

- They were starting to work on another ballet with Javier de Frutos when they were asked to do the music for Beautiful Landrette. They had set some time apart to work on the ballet, but that turned out to be too premature, so they decided to work on the play.

oakey

#315 Post by oakey »

leesmapman wrote: Fri 01 May 2020, 6:47 am
Even in the Netherlands still waiting.
Really? Got mine last week (Netherlands too)