Can you make Hotspot better?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
davidctecno

Re: Can you make Hotspot better?

#46 Post by davidctecno »

1. Will o the wisp
2 . Dreamland
3. I d0n't wanna
4. Hoping for a miracle
5. Monkey Bussines
6. Only the dark
7. Burning the heather
8. Happy People
9. Wedding In Berlin
10. Decide ( CYA Remix)

I don't like You're the one

jasonjohn

#47 Post by jasonjohn »

Footsteps is great, it definitely has its fans.

markrobertnolan

#48 Post by markrobertnolan »

Pod wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 1:04 am
MD wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:46 pm
Old Soak wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 5:55 pm
No. It's their most perfect album since Very. The order of track selection has obviously been well considered. The fast-slow-fast pacing forms a most pleasing journey, almost like a mega-version of the best dance tracks which feature 'drops' and build to crescendos. I wouldn't change a thing.
With regard to your first statement; I could not disagree more. The most perfect album since “Very” is in my humble opinion
“Yes”

However, if one is to keep the current track listing as is I would definitely agree that the order of tracks selection was very well thought out and does the album justice.

I just can’t get over how boring, to my ears, “You are the One” is. I also can’t stand the lyrics to “Wedding in Berlin “
Neither of these two songs are horrible by any means, but they just don’t meet the standard of the rest of the album for me. I’m not giving up on them, it could be that they will grow on me.
Best album since ‘Very’ is ,in my humble opinion, ‘Electric’ - by quite some distance.
Agreed. Electric and Super are brilliant. Hotspot is not.

glennjridge

#49 Post by glennjridge »

jasonjohn wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 8:48 am
Footsteps is great, it definitely has its fans.
The montage version is nice. warm and understated, whereas the nightlife version I find to be kinda rough sounding. if the album version was more like that it would have been loads better.

on another note, HotSpot could have used more guitar. I can only discern it on Burning the heather with the acoustic guitar and the mixed low crunch guitar on Wilo the wisp. but I think some songs would have benefited from it namely "you are the one" and Monkey business. even though they might have been afraid monkey business might have sounded too much like "get lucky", it still seems like it needs some guitar to add to the funkiness. not everyone is like us who thinks in terms of, "it sounds too much like this or that."

Old Soak

#50 Post by Old Soak »

MD wrote:
Old Soak wrote:
No. It's their most perfect album since Very. The order of track selection has obviously been well considered. The fast-slow-fast pacing forms a most pleasing journey, almost like a mega-version of the best dance tracks which feature 'drops' and build to crescendos. I wouldn't change a thing.
With regard to your first statement; I could not disagree more. The most perfect album since “Very” is in my humble opinion
“Yes”

However, if one is to keep the current track listing as is I would definitely agree that the order of tracks selection was very well thought out and does the album justice.

I just can’t get over how boring, to my ears, “You are the One” is. I also can’t stand the lyrics to “Wedding in Berlin “
Neither of these two songs are horrible by any means, but they just don’t meet the standard of the rest of the album for me. I’m not giving up on them, it could be that they will grow on me.
Sorry, whilst Yes includes bona fide classics Love etc, King of Rome and in particular the sublime The way it used to be it also features Legacy and the complete nothing Building a wall. All over the world isn't up to much either. A mixed bag.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Old Soak

#51 Post by Old Soak »

markrobertnolan wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 2:09 pm
Pod wrote:
MD wrote:

“Yes”

Best album since ‘Very’ is ,in my humble opinion, ‘Electric’ - by quite some distance.
Agreed. Electric and Super are brilliant. Hotspot is not.
Electric has some great tracks but is ruined by Thursday for me. (C)rap ruins an already underwhelming track.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

cupoftea

#52 Post by cupoftea »

Electric has one great track, Inside a dream. Never enjoyed the rest of it. Hotspot is far and away so much better!

Spittingcat

#53 Post by Spittingcat »

A mixed bag.
Not a duff track on Yes, love it still.
ruins an already underwhelming track
I can’t listen to any version of the track that still has the rap in it… but Example’s sung section is brilliant.

Anyway… back to Hotspot… You are the one stops the album in its tracks, just as you’re getting into it… it’s an album closer, not track 2 of any album that wants to excite the listener or give them a good time.

Pod

#54 Post by Pod »

cupoftea wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 9:02 pm
Electric has one great track, Inside a dream. Never enjoyed the rest of it. Hotspot is far and away so much better!
Are you serious or just having a laugh (no ‘arm done)!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

MD

#55 Post by MD »

Old Soak wrote:
Sat 15 Feb 2020, 8:08 pm
MD wrote:
Old Soak wrote:
“Yes”

Sorry, whilst Yes includes bona fide classics Love etc, King of Rome and in particular the sublime The way it used to be it also features Legacy and the complete nothing Building a wall. All over the world isn't up to much either. A mixed bag.
It’s really quite surprising how diverse our likes and dislikes are in this forum. In a good way, no bunch of fawning Yes men here. I absolutely love Building a Wall, I even like Legacy! For me there are no bad tracks on Yes.

Pet shop boys have two types of albums; the ones I can listen to from beginning to end without skipping a single track and those that I do skip tracks. Right now the Skip free albums are:

Please
Actually
Introspective
Behavior
Very
Bilingual
Yes
Elysium.
That list is not in order of preference.

Those with skips:

Nightlife
Release
Fundamental
Electric
Super( this may be my all-time least favorite PSB album )

To be decided:

Hotspot

Your vigorous defense of this album has led me to reconsider. I have decided to re-introduce You are the One and Wedding in Berlin to my hotspot playlist. I definitely don’t hate those tracks, so I’m going to give them more time to grow on me. The first time I heard Invisible from Elysium I was not overwhelmed with joy. I actually love that track now!

I am definitely going to tag the Monkey Business prins mix onto the end along with At rock bottom, Decide and it’s remix just for fun.

Right now I am absolutely loving Monkey business!! It’s definitely one of their quirkier songs but damn good nonetheless.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

telys

#56 Post by telys »

Without skips: Please, Disco, Actually, Introspective, Behaviour, Relentless, Bilingual, Alternative, Very

Probably without skips: Super

With skips: Nightlife, Release, Fundamental (it's that darn Numb that messes it up), Yes (Legacy no thanks), Elysium (Ego music, Your early stuff, take them away), Electric (Bolshy and Love is a B construct), Format, Disco 2, Disco 3, Disco 4.

With many skips: Hotspot - a huge disappointment. Monkey Business is good, for the moment, but it's content is vapourous. Wedding in Berlin is imho the worst PSB track ever released. You are the one and Only the dark have incredibly shallow, pathetic lyrics. Will-o-the-wisp's Berlin references are laughable, at the level of amateurs. But Dreamland, Burning the H and Hoping for a Miracle are great. Hoping for a M is imho one of the best PSB tracks ever.
----
You've got me all wrong

E-Mail Vampire

#57 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

1. Party Train (Will-o-the wisp renamed)
2. Hoping For A Miracle
3. I Don’t Wanna
4. Happy People
5. Dreamland (feat Years & Years)
6. Monkey Business
7. An Open Mind
8. Burning The Heather
9. Only The Dark
10. The Forgotten Child

the8thark

#58 Post by the8thark »

Pod wrote:
That's the great thing about the PSB. We all have different opinions on which we think are the best and worst songs and albums, but in the end the one fact we all agree on is the PSB are awesome and we are all so grateful they have had such a long career.

Really something for everyone out there.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Pod

#59 Post by Pod »

the8thark wrote:
Fri 21 Feb 2020, 8:24 am
Pod wrote:
That's the great thing about the PSB. We all have different opinions on which we think are the best and worst songs and albums, but in the end the one fact we all agree on is the PSB are awesome and we are all so grateful they have had such a long career.

Really something for everyone out there.
Absolutely
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Tom Angel

#60 Post by Tom Angel »

I do think that an open mind would make hot spot better - although I DO see how they thought it might not fit in.

Decide however really would have been an almighty closer as opposed to the unanimously considered crap of wedding in Berlin.

I also see there is an extended version of An open mind that they spent a few days on according to the new annually I hope this sees the light of day.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls