Can you make Hotspot better?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: Can you make Hotspot better?

#31 Post by Greendrake » Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:49 pm

markrobertnolan wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:28 pm
Greendrake wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020, 2:34 pm
No Only the dark? Hmmm.
Er, no. Its a tingle-tangle chittering and chattering, spluttering and splattering track. "You are the whine, I want the whine."
That's You are the one you're talking about, not Only the dark.
Only the duck can show you the stars!

Nickname

#32 Post by Nickname » Thu 13 Feb 2020, 3:21 pm

There is a new b-side on the way so who knows but including ten tracks, I don't reject Weding in Berlin but I include An Open Mind and No Boundaries I change the order. I don't wanna is out and You are the one too.

1. Will o the wisp.
2. No Boundaries
3. Dreamland
4. Hoping for a miracle
5. Happy people
6. Only the dark
7. Monkey business.
8. Burning the heather
9. An open mind
10. Weding in Berlin

I think it's much better.

TG

#33 Post by TG » Thu 13 Feb 2020, 4:30 pm

Thought I'd resequence it to be "in the club" and then "afterhours". I like the flow better

Will-o-the-wisp
Decide
Happy People
Dreamland
Monkey business

Hoping for a miracle
Only the dark
I dont wanna
At Rock Bottom
Burning the heather (radio edit)

markrobertnolan

#34 Post by markrobertnolan » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:45 am

glennjridge wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020, 11:06 pm
it wouldn't be popular, but if I was the producer I would have dropped "you are the one",wedding in berlin,and burning the heather, make them B-sides and tell the boys dont come back until they have tracks more worthy of the main album than those.

the rest...are very good although I tend to sleep on "hoping for a miracle" which is just too monotonous although I can see that it appears to be a fan favorite. but wilo the wisp,happy people and I dont wanna and Only the dark....best ever tracks IMO
I agree. Although I left Burning the Heather in on my [revised] version of Hotspot. I also agree from the viewpoint that too many yes men around you makes you Michael Jackson - not in a good way.

markrobertnolan

#35 Post by markrobertnolan » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:51 am

the8thark wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 3:46 am
Honestly just remove Wedding and pretend it never existed.
The rest of the album, though not great is fine as is for a Stuart Price album.

The PSB don't really know how to end and album well . . . for the most part. In my opinion Footsteps and Requiem are the best enders. Saturday Night is not bad either. Quite a few times the different albums have a good ender then they ruin it by tacking on the end after it. Fundamental and Yes suffer from this. Hotspot also suffers from this as Heather sort of works as an ender, well it's better than every other other track there as an ender.

The other albums just get it totally wrong.
Nonsense. Saturday Night Forever is the worst ending of any Pet Shop Boys album. Footsteps isn’t that great either (although it sounds better in headphones.) Whereas, Into Thin Air is epic and up to date. And Vocal - probably the best closer ever. Well I never understood Pet Shop Boys fans who don’t like club music.

Future Lover

#36 Post by Future Lover » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 10:18 am

markrobertnolan wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:51 am

Nonsense. Saturday Night Forever is the worst ending of any Pet Shop Boys album. Footsteps isn’t that great either (although it sounds better in headphones.) Whereas, Into Thin Air is epic and up to date. And Vocal - probably the best closer ever. Well I never understood Pet Shop Boys fans who don’t like club music.
I co-sign this, even though I enjoy "Footsteps" occasionally.

Debussy

#37 Post by Debussy » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 12:03 pm

Errrgh, why must go to... 'the songs I like are best, your choices are wrong'?

After decades of amazing music, there's something for everyone in their catalogue.
Isn't that enough?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

markrobertnolan

#38 Post by markrobertnolan » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:56 pm

Greendrake wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:49 pm
markrobertnolan wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 12:28 pm
Greendrake wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020, 2:34 pm
No Only the dark? Hmmm.
Er, no. Its a tingle-tangle chittering and chattering, spluttering and splattering track. "You are the whine, I want the whine."
That's You are the one you're talking about, not Only the dark.
Yes. I know.

Old Soak

#39 Post by Old Soak » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 5:55 pm

No. It's their most perfect album since Very. The order of track selection has obviously been well considered. The fast-slow-fast pacing forms a most pleasing journey, almost like a mega-version of the best dance tracks which feature 'drops' and build to crescendos. I wouldn't change a thing.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

rashomon

#40 Post by rashomon » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 7:15 pm

Im with you Old Soak - even on that very first listen the tracks and their sequencing seemed on point to me.
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Tom Angel

#41 Post by Tom Angel » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 7:21 pm

Footsteps is such an insipid and blandly underwritten song - I know this is my opinion, but I fail to see how anyone might claim it as a great song. Even it's fans.

I've not lsitened to it for years. I seem to recall the Montage version is better..
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

MD

#42 Post by MD » Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:46 pm

Old Soak wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 5:55 pm
No. It's their most perfect album since Very. The order of track selection has obviously been well considered. The fast-slow-fast pacing forms a most pleasing journey, almost like a mega-version of the best dance tracks which feature 'drops' and build to crescendos. I wouldn't change a thing.
With regard to your first statement; I could not disagree more. The most perfect album since “Very” is in my humble opinion
“Yes”

However, if one is to keep the current track listing as is I would definitely agree that the order of tracks selection was very well thought out and does the album justice.

I just can’t get over how boring, to my ears, “You are the One” is. I also can’t stand the lyrics to “Wedding in Berlin “
Neither of these two songs are horrible by any means, but they just don’t meet the standard of the rest of the album for me. I’m not giving up on them, it could be that they will grow on me.
"Not everyone is lucky enough to understand how delicious it is to suffer"

chrissyboy

#43 Post by chrissyboy » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 12:52 am

the8thark wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 3:46 am
Honestly just remove Wedding and pretend it never existed.
The rest of the album, though not great is fine as is for a Stuart Price album.

The PSB don't really know how to end and album well . . . for the most part. In my opinion Footsteps and Requiem are the best enders. Saturday Night is not bad either. Quite a few times the different albums have a good ender then they ruin it by tacking on the end after it. Fundamental and Yes suffer from this. Hotspot also suffers from this as Heather sort of works as an ender, well it's better than every other other track there as an ender.

The other albums just get it totally wrong.
Yes remove the dreadful Wedding in Berlin. Christ knows what they were thinking when they dropped this turd into the running order. Should’ve remained a private wedding gift for their friends. Replace with Forgotten Child or At Rock Bottom but not as the final track.

Pod

#44 Post by Pod » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 1:04 am

MD wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:46 pm
Old Soak wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 5:55 pm
With regard to your first statement; I could not disagree more. The most perfect album since “Very” is in my humble opinion
“Yes”

However, if one is to keep the current track listing as is I would definitely agree that the order of tracks selection was very well thought out and does the album justice.

I just can’t get over how boring, to my ears, “You are the One” is. I also can’t stand the lyrics to “Wedding in Berlin “
Neither of these two songs are horrible by any means, but they just don’t meet the standard of the rest of the album for me. I’m not giving up on them, it could be that they will grow on me.
Best album since ‘Very’ is ,in my humble opinion, ‘Electric’ - by quite some distance.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

jules

#45 Post by jules » Sat 15 Feb 2020, 6:17 am

Will-o-the-wisp
Happy people
You're the one
I dont wanna
Dreamland
Angelic thug
Burning the heather
Hoping for a miracle
Only the dark

I can only see Only the dark as a closer. Wedding should have been a b-side or given on a bonus disc with annually. They could have put an epic track for the closer, because the opener is epic, it's the end of the trilogy, and they often do this.