"Literally & Pet Shop Boys versus America +": Autographed by Neil & Chris March 19, 2020

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Re: "Literally & Pet Shop Boys versus America +": Autographed by Neil & Chris March 19, 2020

#46 Post by Future Lover »

Well, I understand that some of you don't visit these places daily, but I guess there's so many people that do, and the Rough Trade books were available one day prior by mistake, allowing a small window to grab them before it became massive.
It's just the rules of the game - I wasn't a fan when the original "Vocal" CD Single came out, and now my only option is to pay at least 50 pounds for it (which I refuse to do). I'm blessed that we were able to get so many signed items this year, maybe more is to come.

PETHEAD72

Re: "Literally & Pet Shop Boys versus America +": Autographed by Neil & Chris March 19, 2020

#47 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Future Lover wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 9:01 am
Well, I understand that some of you don't visit these places daily, but I guess there's so many people that do, and the Rough Trade books were available one day prior by mistake, allowing a small window to grab them before it became massive.
It's just the rules of the game - I wasn't a fan when the original "Vocal" CD Single came out, and now my only option is to pay at least 50 pounds for it (which I refuse to do). I'm blessed that we were able to get so many signed items this year, maybe more is to come.
On here every day,i did manage to get the signed books from rough trade on wednesday,when i noticed the official site had links to the books for rough trade etc,they put the link for the slipcases up after and must have sold on what i think was 30 minutes as i went on again about 7:30 after a forum member alerted me.totally gutted.
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

PETHEAD72

#48 Post by PETHEAD72 »

Luke Colorado wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:47 am
PETHEAD72 wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 1:21 am
PSB items junk?,wow some PSB fan you are.the majority of your comments on here are always negative.
Yes; junk; Its about the music.

I'm just honest. I gave up the notion years ago that collecting or gushing was going to result in a personal connection with N&C. That seems to offend folks around here. Oh well.
Not offended in the slightest luke,i love collecting PSB items...especially limited edition ones.
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

Kobalt Blew

#49 Post by Kobalt Blew »

Pod wrote:
Fri 14 Feb 2020, 12:26 am
PETHEAD72 wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 11:04 pm
I am absolutely livid about missing out on the slipcase,was on the website today and nothing was mentioned,even when the post was put up for the books to but from rough trade etc there was nothing for the slipcase versions?,that must have appeared afterwards!

So many things announced at one time as well,we all lead busy lives and are not bound to surfing the official site 24/7,the real collectors miss out on items like this.an announcement of some sort should be made a day before or so.

Really unhappy about this.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Totally gutted - knew nowt about this until now and I check the site regularly. An alert email to the people who subscribe to their site is a minimum for me.

Surely doing this slipcase edition as a pre-order would've been better all around, they'd have sold more. The print run could still have been a limited edition.
previously Parlophoney.

ArtHist

#50 Post by ArtHist »

Wouldn't worry too much, there'll be something else limited/signed/collectable along by the Boys any minute.

Marie loves PSB

#51 Post by Marie loves PSB »

ArtHist wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020, 5:35 pm
Marie loves PSB wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020, 3:49 pm
rashomon wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020, 1:15 pm

I do wish they chose better cover photos for these books
I agree Rashomon. They could have taken better cover photographs. Thank you for letting us know PSBfannyc. :D I won't be ordering (I am skint anyway to be honest) as I managed to get a signed book of Literally when it first came out at the Claude Gill book signing all those years ago. My brilliant mum took me to that book signing. My mum had the day off work - I am sure I took the day off school too. All those long years ago. I must have been around 13 or 14 years old. :up:
PMSL!! Good on you Marie! And to your mum too. Those memories will last forever, what a lovely thing to do.
Thank you for your nice comment ArtHist! :D Think we were very lucky that day. :up:

Marie loves PSB

#52 Post by Marie loves PSB »

Izione wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 9:08 pm
So... signed books sold out at all 3 book stores.
Also the slipcase limited edition on the official store also sold out after 3 hours.
So well done to those who got it.
No promises but, please keep an eye on Coles' online bookshop. :shhh: Neil Tennant's signed book that was always sold out became available again nearly a year later.

Glad some of you have had a chance of getting a signed copy of their books. :D

Marie loves PSB

#53 Post by Marie loves PSB »

PETHEAD72 wrote:
Thu 13 Feb 2020, 11:04 pm
I am absolutely livid about missing out on the slipcase,was on the website today and nothing was mentioned,even when the post was put up for the books to but from rough trade etc there was nothing for the slipcase versions?,that must have appeared afterwards!

So many things announced at one time as well,we all lead busy lives and are not bound to surfing the official site 24/7,the real collectors miss out on items like this.an announcement of some sort should be made a day before or so.

Really unhappy about this.
I think to be honest they could be doing things much better! :down: I think to give everyone a chance and being fair they should have said something on their web-site on the Monday for example - "Keep an eye out on Friday at 11.00am for signed/limited edition items - news etc..". I seem to miss out on quite a few things just because I haven't been on my computer for an afternoon or have gone out etc...

G_Goalden

#54 Post by G_Goalden »

Can I suggest following them on Instagram and putting notifications on.

Not great for those that aren’t allowed a phone near them. But if you have an iphone / apple watch combination you can pretty much find out straightaway.

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

Enfant Terrible

#55 Post by Enfant Terrible »

I’ve just noticed...the text on the spine of these books is the wrong way round! Well, the wrong way compared to most books. Looking at the spine of pretty much any other book, the text should be flipped 180 degrees. Can see why they’ve done it like this based on the design of the rest of the cover, but still...that’s going to look a bit odd on many bookshelves.

Pandoro

#56 Post by Pandoro »

Shit. I missed the slipcase edition on the website too.

that was really limited ???? :grumble:

Izione

#57 Post by Izione »

Pandoro wrote:
Tue 18 Feb 2020, 3:15 pm
Shit. I missed the slipcase edition on the website too.

that was really limited ???? :grumble:
They went up at 17:00 on Thursday on the official store, and the singed books announced at the same time.
The official store had sold the slip case edition out by 18:30 and the signed books at the book stores a bit earlier had sold their allocation.
http://www.realizationmusic.co.uk
@realizationmsc

“Words make you think a thought. Music makes you feel a feeling. A song makes you feel a thought.”

psbfannyc

#58 Post by psbfannyc »

Look how happy they are making so much money..........

https://www.petshopboys.co.uk/pet-texts ... ning-books

"19 February 2020

Signing books
Signing copies of the new editions of "Pet Shop Boys, Literally" and "Pet Shop Boys Versus America" this morning. Full details of where you can find them at the link below."

https://www.petshopboys.co.uk/news/2020 ... k-reissues
Attachments
06db1b5218b7bf958424f82bdf4ae6ac.jpg
06db1b5218b7bf958424f82bdf4ae6ac.jpg (532.43 KiB) Viewed 2546 times

Xakrij

#59 Post by Xakrij »

I refuse to 'double dip' this time and re-purchase these 2 re-issues due to the manner in which these items were sold.
I even might have purchased signed copies and 2 additional copies from the OS just to get the the exclusive slipcase to house the signed editions...with the intention of gifting the 2 standard volumes.
Instead I think I'll treat myself to a lovely bottle of champagne while I browse through the originals I already have.

(Champers all right for you, Pats?)
Shot in the fatal cause of 'frock-and-droll'

moebius

#60 Post by moebius »

I don't understand why there have been so few "slipcase edition" available...
Very frustrating... :wall: