Hotspot ratings

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Rate Hotspot

9%
35%
29%
13%
9%
2%
2%
No votes
2%
No votes

Total votes: 55

ArtHist

Re: Hotspot ratings

#16 Post by ArtHist »

8, took repeated plays. Would have scored higher without Wedding.

TallThinMan

#17 Post by TallThinMan »

9/10 from me. I’m playing it every day. The melodies are beautiful. It’s just lovely. A top three PSB album for me.

If the vocals on Dreamland were better and if Happy People segued into Wedding in Berlin the way it sounds like it originally did, leaving Burning the Heather to end the album…it would be 10/10.

CroMagnon

#18 Post by CroMagnon »

I gave Hotspot an 8. It has the effortless class of the earliest albums, and lacks that sense of 'try-hardiness' that has affected the consistency of some of their later work. Melodically, it's amazing, Neil's vocals sound wonderful (Dreamland notwithstanding), and Chris is on sublime form with many of his subtle instrumental touches.

If Hotspot had been released in 1996 as the followup to Very, it would have fitted perfectly as the next step in the evolution of the PSB sound, and I don't think anyone would have thought it a step down from the first five albums.

It's an outstanding release for a band at this stage in their career.
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

goughsjd

#19 Post by goughsjd »

9/10 think it's fantastic and still. On repeat atm
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

Hillbilly

#20 Post by Hillbilly »

I've upgraded from 5 to 6, but I can't go any further. I find Hotspot to be the worst of the Price Trilogy. The production is a mess and it just doesn't sound good. The ballads are the best songs. "Wedding in Berlin" is a really bad way to finish the album; the magnicifent "Burning the heather" should have been the last track. I also find "Monkey business" a bit cringe worthy, even though the production is great on that one. I think the album is a disappointment! I am thankful this is their last with Stuart Price.

CroMagnon

#21 Post by CroMagnon »

Hillbilly wrote:
    Thu 13 Feb 2020, 10:41 am
    I've upgraded from 5 to 6, but I can't go any further. I find Hotspot to be the worst of the Price Trilogy. The production is a mess and it just doesn't sound good. The ballads are the best songs. "Wedding in Berlin" is a really bad way to finish the album; the magnicifent "Burning the heather" should have been the last track. I also find "Monkey business" a bit cringe worthy, even though the production is great on that one. I think the album is a disappointment! I am thankful this is their last with Stuart Price.
    It's fascinating how fans can hear the same album and think and feel so differently. I think it's the best of the Price trilogy, and has the feel of a classic PSB album, with a great mix of upbeat songs and ballads, some lovely lyrics, brilliant middle-eights, and Chris on top form with the music.

If the run of PSB albums had been:

Please
    Actually
    Introspective
    Behaviour
    Very
    Fundamental
    Hotspot

... then how would PSB have been perceived in 1999?
    Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

leesmapman

#22 Post by leesmapman »

Pet Shop Boys? What about Stuart Price? He just made an album with Les Rythmes Digitales and now he has made an album with Pet Shop Boys of Integral fame?
    Speaking of Integral: what is that whole ID / fascism paranoia about? That will never happen.

Drunk Swede

#23 Post by Drunk Swede »

No more than 5 for me. Just two tracks from the album I kept in my PSB playlist (Happy People and Only the Dark).
    Programmed in the system

cupoftea

#24 Post by cupoftea »

10 all the way.

Gabby

#25 Post by Gabby »

I gave it a 9. I still have yet to listen to it properly but from my car stereo I am loving it.

It transports me back to how i felt about PSB in the days of Actually thru to Behaviour and I love the European sensibilities.

Its a really strong album and I actually regret my "PSB by numbers" comment after hearing only the snippets. The songs as a whole have much more depth and hang together extremely well despite their apparent diversity. I could easily say the same of Actually and Behaviour.

I do believe this could be one of their best albums. I need to give it a proper listen to be sure, but this is absolutely PSB on top form.

retrofuturist

#26 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
    leesmapman wrote:
    Thu 13 Feb 2020, 1:46 pm
    Speaking of Integral: what is that whole ID / fascism paranoia about? That will never happen.
    Tell that to the Chinese dissidents executed by the CCP under the ruse of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Not saying the outbreak isn't real, of course, but that it provides the perfect opportunity and cover for masked men to forcibly remove people from their homes and take them to god knows where, to never come back again.

Anyhoo... probably best we get back to talking about Hotspot... and no, I don't mean the place where the bodies have been cremated.

Retro. :)

Future Lover

#27 Post by Future Lover »

Well, that was one way to spin a harmless joke about living in 1999 into far-right conspiracy theories.

leesmapman

#28 Post by leesmapman »

Future Lover wrote:
    Fri 14 Feb 2020, 8:54 am
    Well, that was one way to spin a harmless joke about living in 1999 into far-right conspiracy theories.
    i couldn't have said it better.

Andie

#29 Post by Andie »

I gave it 7. It would've got 8 if Wedding wasn't there!!!!!
    Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

glennjridge

#30 Post by glennjridge »

Its a bit meh for me. Actually that would be a very PSB idea for a song or album title “meh”