4th single off Hotspot - I Don't Wanna

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

TallThinMan

Re: 4th single off Hotspot - I Don't Wanna

#137 Post by TallThinMan »

I think "New Boy" is rather lovely actually. I see what they mean about the strong melody.

Markpro

#138 Post by Markpro »

leesmapman wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 10:13 am
There's a lyrics video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAXGhYLVXXs
Was just about to post it but you beat me to it...the video actually fits in very well with the song, not just the usual boring lyric video but it actually some narrative to go with it now so makes the song better, quite enjoyed that. nice little bonus actually.
Last edited by Markpro on Fri 24 Apr 2020, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Dog

#139 Post by Dog »

CD and vinyl arrived here in West Yorkshire.
Woof.

TallThinMan

#140 Post by TallThinMan »

Markpro wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 10:51 am
leesmapman wrote:
There's a lyrics video:
Was just about to post it but you beat me to it...the video actually fits in very well with the song, not just the usual bring lyric video but it actually some narrative to go with it now so makes the song better, quite enjoyed that. nice little bonus actually.
I've just watched it and I agree. It reminded me a little of the opening titles of the old UK TV programme "Grange Hill" (which is a good thing)! I wonder who's making these lyric videos and how expensive they are to make? Obviously a lot less expensive than the traditional "Monkey Business" style video. Some of them have been excellent.

y3potential

#141 Post by y3potential »

TallThinMan wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:24 am
Markpro wrote:
leesmapman wrote:
There's a lyrics video:
Was just about to post it but you beat me to it...the video actually fits in very well with the song, not just the usual bring lyric video but it actually some narrative to go with it now so makes the song better, quite enjoyed that. nice little bonus actually.
I've just watched it and I agree. It reminded me a little of the opening titles of the old UK TV programme "Grange Hill" (which is a good thing)! I wonder who's making these lyric videos and how expensive they are to make? Obviously a lot less expensive than the traditional "Monkey Business" style video. Some of them have been excellent.

I see what you mean regarding the "Grange Hill" reference. Watching the lyric video I half expected a giant sausage on a fork to loom into view. Also agree that some of the recent lyric videos have been excellent. Dreamland in particular.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

sonicbleep

#142 Post by sonicbleep »

TallThinMan wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 10:34 am
I think "New Boy" is rather lovely actually. I see what they mean about the strong melody.
completely agree.

I am sure I read somewhere that Chris played the trombone on the original demo.

Patrick Bateman

#143 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Yes, the lyric video is a nice touch. Glad they've been putting effort into things like that recently - one thinks of the On Social Media video, for instance. :clap:

King1968

#144 Post by King1968 »

Loving New Boy a beautiful chill out track

canveyboy

#145 Post by canveyboy »

New Boy has really grown on me now. Beautiful track. The vocal at the start really reminds me of In The Club or In The Queue...each new verse Neil starts singing I automatically think “I wish I could come across you...”
Its taken me all of my life to find you

dbaseboy

#146 Post by dbaseboy »

Was just thinking the same @canveyboy. You can so imagine them writing this at Neil’s flat back in the day. Really like it actually.

Markpro

#147 Post by Markpro »

y3potential wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:43 am
TallThinMan wrote:
Fri 24 Apr 2020, 11:24 am
Markpro wrote:

I see what you mean regarding the "Grange Hill" reference. Watching the lyric video I half expected a giant sausage on a fork to loom into view. Also agree that some of the recent lyric videos have been excellent. Dreamland in particular.
Haha, as soon as i saw the Grange Hill reference the first thing i thought of was the sausage on a fork while badly singing the theme tune
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Synthrobot

#148 Post by Synthrobot »

The 12" arrived this morning to never be opened or touched by human hands :lol:

wieske

#149 Post by wieske »

Now Boys is a really great, lovely track. Pure Pet Shop Boys, pure class! Like the 'I don't wanna' remixes too. They're all very 'accessible'. Another great single package in my opinion! 👌
Don't give me all your northern pain
Don't sell me New York in the rain
Let's leave our promises behind
Rewind and try again

Old Soak

#150 Post by Old Soak »

New Boy is absolutely fabulous, it even sounds imperial and effortless. What a gem.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing