"New Boy", the B-side of the fourth single (a song from the Imperial Phase)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
MrTennant

#1 Post by MrTennant »

Their new B side song is called "New Boy". It’s the b-side of the fourth single.

Future Lover

Re: "New Boy", the B-side of the fourth single (a song from the Imperial Phase)

#2 Post by Future Lover »

I guess losing your first account wasn't a good enough sign... most probably from God, since the moderators are obviously terrible.

E-Mail Vampire

#3 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

Seems to be true

What’s on those early cassettes? Things we’ve never heard or different versions of songs we know?
Both. Something no one has ever heard is the first version of West End Girls with different music. it’s more punky, at the end I start shouting ‘Sometimes you’re better off dead’. It’s probably too embarrassing to release. One or two years ago I was listening to the cassette demos and I’ve always liked this song we wrote on at the time we wrote Rent. It’s called New Boy. I was at Smash Hits at the time. It’s about two girls on the phone in some suburban area, they see a new boy in town and are talking about him. It’s got a very strong melody, I’ve always remembered it. Anyway Chris and I finally finished it off after however many years and it’s the b-side of the next single. It was actually written the same day as Rent.

Future Lover

#4 Post by Future Lover »

No, I know it's true, but it wasn't worthy of it's own thread, since there's going to be a fourth single thread, and this interview was already posted separately. Everyone has a link to read this on their own. This is just some... nasty need to be an annoyance.

MrTennant

#5 Post by MrTennant »

Future Lover wrote:
Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:16 pm
No, I know it's true, but it wasn't worthy of it's own thread, since there's going to be a fourth single thread, and this interview was already posted separately. Everyone has a link to read this on their own. This is just some... nasty need to be an annoyance.

#1 Post by MrTennant » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 12:40 pm

4th single off Hotspot

#1 Post by michael888 » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:44 pm

E-Mail Vampire

#6 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

Future Lover wrote:
Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:16 pm

Ah ok sorry. I saw this thread before the other and thought there was a query to the authenticity of the information.

Greendrake

#7 Post by Greendrake »

This b-side deserves its own thread instead of having to be accommodated in the thread about the single it is released on.

The story of it resembles the one of One-hit wonder (which was as well written back in early 80s, then dug out in 2014 I think amidst preparations for the Reissues, and finally released as a b-side in 2016).

Pretty much excited to hear this another dug out gem soon, especially that Neil says "It’s got a very strong melody, I’ve always remembered it.". :dance:

Future Lover

#8 Post by Future Lover »

Well, birds of an annoying feather and all that...

Sage

#9 Post by Sage »

This forum, I wrote up a big post and hit preview then it went to the sign in screen and I lost my write up. I was basically ranting about rap music and how hip hop is so prevalent these days.

Anyway I have to point out, the 1 thing I was afraid of when I found out they were re-recording a song from the 80's was the chance of them adding a hip hop sound to it. It's turned out that's exactly what has happened and I hate it. I can't stand hip hop music. I'm sure I'd enjoy the original demo more. They ruined it as far as I'm concerned.
I know it's a very popular type of music, but I was just hoping they'd avoid it for this song at least.
PSB should dedicate an album to hip hop.
Watch parts of this https://youtu.be/IAqEs_Y47AU or this https://youtu.be/jwNd-SiXa5w
They fit right in. Everyone knows Pet Shop Boys for West End Girls which is a rap record. Do a rap album with the style throughout.

Spittingcat

Re: "New Boy", the B-side of the fourth single

#10 Post by Spittingcat »

PSB should dedicate an album to hip hop.
There are already so many PSB songs that have their roots in hip hop, especially early ones.

glennjridge

#11 Post by glennjridge »

yeah, though email is a pretty song, the drums are hip hop-ish. same with the night I fell in love, and well obviously happiness is an option.
they seem to only go so far as the drums though. the music on top of it seems to be standard PSB usually.

Drem

#12 Post by Drem »

Great song! From this era's b-sides, it's second only to "An open mind" but not very far from it in terms of quality while diversity is still presents.

I guess Neil & Chris should really take an opportunity of one-year delayment of touring and accompanying promotion, listen carefully through their old archives of demos and unreleased material and create a 15th album for release next spring, using only 15+ years old material unlike they usually do (using some songs from previous album's recording sessions but mostly composing new ones). Nobody would accuse them in any kind of laziness or lack of ideas, I think, even if Neil thinks about most of that material as of "second-rate songs".
"I think it’s an amazingly good album, I’ve got to be honest with you. It’s one of the albums I feel most proud of. But for people who don’t really know us, and have a sort of an idea about us, ‘Electric’ is more what the Pet Shop Boys are meant to be."
(Neil Tennant, speaking about "Elysium" on the eve of "Electric" release.)