It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TwizzleUK

Re: It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

#241 Post by TwizzleUK »

Greendrake wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 9:08 am
Hmm... I've never had a bluray player but I have a bluray CD-ROM which I am going to use to rip the bluray (hopefully arriving soon) into a MKV file before watching it.

But now it looks like I will have to first convert/resample the video file to whatever frame rate/timing represents the actual acting/shooting speed and matches the CD music speed. All these woes with physical players / regions / standards appear really silly. In 2020 we can be free from them can't we?
When you do so, can you let us know what settings you use to get it at the actual correct speed to match the released audio CDs. Stuff like this really bugs me, so I'd like to create my own version on my network drive I can watch at the right speed

TwizzleUK

#242 Post by TwizzleUK »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Thu 18 Jun 2020, 11:27 pm
Struck me that now there's a decent digital copy of the film, there's a wonderful opportunity for some fan-made promo videos in the style of 'Always On My Mind' to be created for the album-only tracks featured using their lip sync sections interspersed with other clips from the film. Could be achieved for 'It Couldn't Happen Here', 'Two Divided By Zero', 'Kings Cross' and 'One More Chance' (the latter perhaps cut to the Further Listening Seven Inch Mix).
A browse through YouTube reveals someone did the above for 3 out of 4 of the above album tracks a few years ago - I guess using the laser disc or VHS footage:
These are almost what I had in mind, but interspersed with a few more clips from elsewhere during the film, a la 'Always On My Mind'. I think they make great promo videos for these non-single tracks. Hopefully someone can redo them using the Blu-ray footage - and of course make one for 'Two Divided By Zero' as well!

One of the crowd

#243 Post by One of the crowd »

Played the original release I have on laptop (which is same sync as Blu Ray)

The opening credits plays "It Couldn't Happen Here"

It gets to this line at 2:03

The CD gets there at 1:57
Fishing

zukunft

#245 Post by zukunft »

Amazon UK has lost my shipment somewhere. I got a refund immediately, but the „It couldn‘t happen here“ limited edition is sold out. If someone has a spare copy, feel free to write a PM.

Oznerol

#246 Post by Oznerol »

TwizzleUK wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 12:46 pm
Greendrake wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 9:08 am
Hmm... I've never had a bluray player but I have a bluray CD-ROM which I am going to use to rip the bluray (hopefully arriving soon) into a MKV file before watching it.

But now it looks like I will have to first convert/resample the video file to whatever frame rate/timing represents the actual acting/shooting speed and matches the CD music speed. All these woes with physical players / regions / standards appear really silly. In 2020 we can be free from them can't we?
When you do so, can you let us know what settings you use to get it at the actual correct speed to match the released audio CDs. Stuff like this really bugs me, so I'd like to create my own version on my network drive I can watch at the right speed
Using the info shared here in a previous comment, I did a try speeding up a Bluray mp4 rip in a 4%, from 100% to 104% speed, and the result was almost perfect. Less than a second of difference in a complete song compared with the CDs counterparts (..just like this https://youtu.be/lvhRPJH5Tgw )
Last edited by Oznerol on Mon 22 Jun 2020, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is not my signature.

oakey

#247 Post by oakey »

IMDB lists the movie's length as 1h26m, that is the same duration as the bluray, so that one represents the theatrical release: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093284/te ... tt_dt_spec

The PAL DVD is 4% too fast and thus too short, ie due to the PAL speedup as mentioned before.

Why the songs included on the soundtrack were at a bit too slow pace is a wild guess of course. One reason could be that only a limited box office run was foreseen with most of the revenues anticipated from the (PAL) VHS, which would then run the songs at the correct speed for the largest audience. Only speculating of course. One would think that BFI knows how to restore a movie digitally from the original print though...

Oznerol

#248 Post by Oznerol »

ola t wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 8:44 am
It has been common for European films to be shot at 25 frames per second, even though they will then have to be slowed down to 24 frames per second when they are shown in cinemas – at least in the age of actual film projection. It makes some kind of sense to shoot at 25 fps when the film is mainly intended for video release, or when a major producer is a European broadcast company, since 25 fps converts nicely to 50 fps PAL for broadcast, VHS, DVD, etc.
This sounds so logical, that I think that here we have the answer!!...the film must have been shooted on 25fps, aimed to the VHS release more than cinemas...then played on cinemas at 24fps (a 4% wrong speed.. but on the limited big screeen projections just a very few people will notice that..) ..and then released at the correct 25fps speed on VHS. The new Bluray restoration used the 35mm film master, so..it also runs slower than it was shooted... That´s maybe the only reasonable answer...
This is not my signature.

Wish

#249 Post by Wish »

zukunft wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 5:51 pm
Amazon UK has lost my shipment somewhere. I got a refund immediately, but the „It couldn‘t happen here“ limited edition is sold out. If someone has a spare copy, feel free to write a PM.
My box from Amazon isn't even dispatched yet. Looks like I won't receive it too...

retrofuturist

#250 Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I've put in another order with another store... so depending on how this plays out, I might end up with 0, 1 or 2 copies.

What a debacle.

(If by some bizarre and unlikely circumstance I end up with 2 copies, I'll be reselling one at cost price)

Retro. :)

Gabby

#251 Post by Gabby »

Wish wrote:
Tue 23 Jun 2020, 12:37 am
zukunft wrote:
Mon 22 Jun 2020, 5:51 pm
My box from Amazon isn't even dispatched yet. Looks like I won't receive it too...
I originally ordered from Amazon and got cold feet and ordered a second copy from the BFI shop. The BFI one shipped first but the Amazon one is allegedly on it's way now too.

I hate that ordering stuff is so dodgy/hit and miss.

I cant be certain of anything until its actually in my hot little hands.

leesmapman

#252 Post by leesmapman »

I just got the order from the BFI site. So happy!

Disco.

#253 Post by Disco. »

#29 in Top 100 Video chart in the U.K

Boring90

#254 Post by Boring90 »

Arrived! 5 days from England to the U.S.!

Will watch it tonight on the new OLED.
Las Vegas 1999

leesmapman

#255 Post by leesmapman »

It's quite funny in some parts. But I kinda lost my attention during the 2nd half. The movie looks great by the way.