It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
TwizzleUK

Re: It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

#211 Post by TwizzleUK »

Just watched this and really enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Yes, it's a bizarre movie for sure, but not as cringeworthy as my memories anticipated. If you treat it as a (slightly) interwoven set of promo videos its quite fun. Always found the rainy and windy Clacton seafront footage very evocative of my summer holidays down on the south coast. Some wonderful visuals in there too - 'West End Girls' on the beach at night with the coloured flags makes for a great alternate promo video, as does the 'Rent' dance routine.

A shame they didn't "digitally reconstruct" the 'Always On My Mind' bonus video from the remastered footage (as they did with the trailer), because it's very poor quality compared to the beautifully remastered movie. But that's a very minor quibble.

Struck me that now there's a decent digital copy of the film, there's a wonderful opportunity for some fan-made promo videos in the style of 'Always On My Mind' to be created for the album-only tracks featured using their lip sync sections interspersed with other clips from the film. Could be achieved for 'It Couldn't Happen Here', 'Two Divided By Zero', 'Kings Cross' and 'One More Chance' (the latter perhaps cut to the Further Listening Seven Inch Mix).

Don't have the time or software to do this myself, but it'd fab if someone else did and bunged on YouTube...(hint, hint)! Sort of thing the boys would probably enjoy and approve of too (remember their endorsement of the Dr Who / Cybermen 'Integral' mash up?).

Glad they finally released this. Now just need the full 'MCMLXXXIX' and 'Discovery' tours on DVD or Blu-ray...

matt74uk

#212 Post by matt74uk »

From Twitter:

"The Limited Edition DVD/Blu-ray set of PSB’s 1988 feature film "It Couldn’t Happen Here" is now sold out at most stores. Details of a standard edition will be announced shortly."

So I assume this would be a standard case dvd/blu-ray and not the book thing. Which to be honest I would have preferred to know was coming from the start as I would have bought this version.

negative_0ne

#213 Post by negative_0ne »

So, sell the book version, and get this one.

Problem solved.

later

AdamDowds

#214 Post by AdamDowds »

It came today, and I gave the film a watch. Love how quirky it is, and how when I get to show it to friends I'll have no idea how to explain half of it!

It's a lovely package and I'm happy to have the book.

Dog

#215 Post by Dog »

AdamDowds wrote:It came today, and I gave the film a watch. Love how quirky it is, and how when I get to show it to friends I'll have no idea how to explain half of it!

It's a lovely package and I'm happy to have the book.
GOOD GOD MAN DON’T SHOW YOUR FRIENDS

What the hell will they think
Woof.

canveyboy

#216 Post by canveyboy »

It really is a thing of beauty...Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its taken me all of my life to find you

oakey

#217 Post by oakey »

Got it today and just watched it, had never seen it before.

Well, it is an odd little thing, isn’t it? Don’t think I will ever watch it again but nice to have as one of the oddest things in the PSB universe :) I did like the One More Chance sequence, perhaps also as that meant the movie was almost over...

Bizarre, that’s the word. And then to think that this was released in theatres back then!

I now understand the headline of that review: ‘It shouldn’t happen anywhere’

The restoration is nice but it had more of a DVD look than a bluray (let alone a 4K feel). Sound is only stereo too. The Always on my mind video looks like it was taken from Youtube with out of sync audio. Have not watched the documentary yet.

oakey

#218 Post by oakey »

Dog wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 7:33 pm
GOOD GOD MAN DON’T SHOW YOUR FRIENDS

What the hell will they think
I most certainly will not :D

Gabby

#219 Post by Gabby »

oakey wrote:
Fri 19 Jun 2020, 10:20 pm
Got it today and just watched it, had never seen it before.

Well, it is an odd little thing, isn’t it? Don’t think I will ever watch it again but nice to have as one of the oddest things in the PSB universe :) I did like the One More Chance sequence, perhaps also as that meant the movie was almost over...

Bizarre, that’s the word. And then to think that this was released in theatres back then!

I now understand the headline of that review: ‘It shouldn’t happen anywhere’

The restoration is nice but it had more of a DVD look than a bluray (let alone a 4K feel). Sound is only stereo too. The Always on my mind video looks like it was taken from Youtube with out of sync audio. Have not watched the documentary yet.
It is, as you say, an odd little thing. I have a bit of a soft spot for the movie, but that's probably because my leanings at the time were more toward the odd/surreal.

It's not exactly "get your mates around for a viewing party" material though is it? Sounds like they made a dogs dinner of the Always on my mind video then - the PopArt version is probably better. There's no excuse if what you describe is true.

There are a few quite memorable moments/sequences, but the whole thing just plods along and isn't particularly coherent/cohesive. I do think the sequence in the transport cafe with the ventriloquist doll is pretty good though.

oakey

#220 Post by oakey »

It’s nice to see Chris and Neil having a genuine laugh in that cafe, yes

Dog

#221 Post by Dog »

The commentary is a little disappointing. Jack clearly can’t remember much about it; indeed it feels in many places like he’s watching it for the first time. But his love for the film comes across strongly.

Apparently he didn’t get along with Joss Ackland, but all performances are praised and there is much warmth for the other actors. There is lots of cooing over the girls in the dance sequences and lots of technical talk about tracking shots and specific camera people.

There’s practically nothing said about the writing. I was hoping for a deeper understanding of what’s actually going on. The King’s Cross section is influenced by the paintings of Magritte.

They hardly reference Neil and Chris throughout, until right at the very end when they say how professional and uncomplaining they were. And that “Chris is an absolute wizard on that synth”!!??
Woof.

canveyboy

#222 Post by canveyboy »

My Blu-ray / dvd package arrived Thursday. Very happy with it. I have a question re the blu-ray. If anyone has bought the blu-ray like me, I have a question about it. Please PM me, thanks!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its taken me all of my life to find you

Oznerol

#223 Post by Oznerol »

Just something curious...comparing the "new" remastered 2020 version with the "old" versions available (VHS, LD and with the actual studio recordings of the songs) the new one one seems to run at a notably lower speed!! After a couple of minutes, there are already many seconds of difference...weird!
This is not my signature.

TwizzleUK

#224 Post by TwizzleUK »

Oznerol wrote:
Sun 21 Jun 2020, 4:18 pm
Just something curious...comparing the "new" remastered 2020 version with the "old" versions available (VHS, LD and with the actual studio recordings of the songs) the new one one seems to run at a notably lower speed!! After a couple of minutes, there are already many seconds of difference...weird!
Yeah, I noticed that whilst watching. All the tunes are ever so slightly flatter and slower than the released versions, so the whole film is running at a slower speed than it should - unless that's the speed it was originally recorded at (which I doubt). Wonder how that oversight got through the remastering process and quality control?

oakey

#225 Post by oakey »

That’s probably due to the 4% PAL speedup compared to film due to a difference in frame rate, 24 vs 25 frames per second: http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/articles/P ... peedUp.asp

That is no longer an issue with bluray, but in the old days PAL VHS, Laserdisc etc were all 4% too fast. You heard it when music was played in movies on video, that sounded pitched.

If the DVD that comes with ICHH is PAL it should suffer from the same problem, you can check. NTSC also has 24 rates per sec so it wasn’t an issue there, but then again NTSC’s resolution was lower than PAL.

Pretty sure the bluray is at the speed the film was originally shot.