It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Pod

Re: It Couldn’t Happen Here June 2020 Release Confirmed

#106 Post by Pod »

Come on, it’s hardly a surprise!
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

leesmapman

#107 Post by leesmapman »

New extras announced! Some cool stuff too. The complete list is:

• Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
  • Limited Edition 48-page Digi-book includes a new interview with Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys and previously unseen excerpts from his personal on-set production diary, as well as an introduction to the film by director Jack Bond and writing on the film by Anthony Nield, Jason Wood, Omer Ali, John Ramchandani, William Fowler and Vic Pratt
  • Comprehensive feature commentary by Jack Bond, James Dillon and Simon Archer (2020)
  • West End Boy: Jack Bond (2020, 27 mins): the director discusses his eclectic career as a filmmaker and his enterprising approach to the making of It Couldn't Happen Here
  • It Can Happen Here: Arlene Phillips (2020, 26 mins): the renowned choreographer reflects upon a life in dance - and the trials and tribulations of working on It Couldn't Happen Here
  • Always on My Mind (1987, 5 mins): the full-length promotional video for the Pet Shop Boys’ acclaimed ‘Christmas Number One’ hit, featuring Joss Ackland and footage from It Couldn’t Happen Here
  • Actually: an unfilmed early version of the script for the film, included here in its entirety for the first time anywhere
  • As it Happened: Image galleries including the complete final version of the script, the director’s shot lists, Pet Shop Boys reference lyric sheets and promotional materials for It Couldn’t Happen Here
Still no commentary of PSB :-(

Future Lover

#108 Post by Future Lover »

Damn, now I wanna purchase it too. But it's such a bad time to buy stuff :(

Sage

#109 Post by Sage »

Yep I noticed the special features description has been updated.
Presumably Always on My Mind will be remastered. I'm hoping they put it on the Youtube channel.

Too bad there's no PSB commentary. The film is rife for commentary with all of the usual and unexplainable moments. I'm still convinced the laughing during the diner scene is unscripted and genuine.
Watching the film with Neil and Chris would be very entertaining.

I'm disappointed there are no deleted scenes listed.
Remember, the elaborate music video for Heart was filmed for It Couldn't Happen Here but it didn't fit in. So compare the music video for Always On My Mind to the section in the movie, then you can imagine what the section for Heart would be. Presumably complete with dialogue. Let's not forget, starring Ian McKellen who has become greatly successful. People would probably pick up the bluray just to see him if the scene was added in the bonus features.

There's no additional footage featured at all, no bloopers either.
Maybe they've lost the film reels, so I can't be too mad.
It's never too late to do an expanded special edition if they choose to make these features I mention available.

I'm really not big on reading, and the special features are practically all written such as the early script, Neil's interview, Neil's diary notes, etc. :roll:

telys

#110 Post by telys »

Sage wrote:
Mon 30 Mar 2020, 12:46 pm

I'm really not big on reading, and the special features are practically all written such as the early script, Neil's interview, Neil's diary notes, etc. :roll:
Yep, reading turns out to be difficult for people these days. Generations of illiterates yearning for images patiently living in fake democracies while constantly being fed something to be worried about, all through some social media where they channel their fake anger believing they're part of a movement which in reality is like a river that flows into a desert. Dreamland for the rich and powerful.
----
You've got me all wrong

tottenhammattspurs

#111 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

The laughing in the cafe scene was unscripted. But they decided to keep it in.
is is and isnt isnt

TallThinMan

#112 Post by TallThinMan »

Sage wrote:
Remember, the elaborate music video for Heart was filmed for It Couldn't Happen Here but it didn't fit in. So compare the music video for Always On My Mind to the section in the movie, then you can imagine what the section for Heart would be. Presumably complete with dialogue. Let's not forget, starring Ian McKellen who has become greatly successful.
Got a source for that?

G_Goalden

#113 Post by G_Goalden »

<Duplicate>
Last edited by G_Goalden on Tue 31 Mar 2020, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

G_Goalden

#114 Post by G_Goalden »

TallThinMan wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020, 1:15 pm
Sage wrote:
Remember, the elaborate music video for Heart was filmed for It Couldn't Happen Here but it didn't fit in. So compare the music video for Always On My Mind to the section in the movie, then you can imagine what the section for Heart would be. Presumably complete with dialogue. Let's not forget, starring Ian McKellen who has become greatly successful.
Got a source for that?
IMDb says that he was in Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit - which were both successful, as was X-men. He also managed to get himself on Coronation Street.

He's done a few of other TV and film things too, and some theatre stuff.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005212/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Sorry - I couldn't resist - blame the isolation!

G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

Sage

#115 Post by Sage »

TallThinMan wrote:
Sage wrote:
Got a source for that?
Yeah it's in the audio commentary in PopArt.
Here's my transcription:
"This is also directed by Jack Bond who did the film, and we worked with him because I think they wanted to put this in film didn't they? There was some very convuluted plot we were gonna add a scene to the film with Heart in it (the new single) then we didn't in the end."

TallThinMan

#116 Post by TallThinMan »

Sage wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020, 1:43 pm
TallThinMan wrote:
Sage wrote:
Got a source for that?
Yeah it's in the audio commentary in PopArt.
Here's my transcription:
"This is also directed by Jack Bond who did the film, and we worked with him because I think they wanted to put this in film didn't they? There was some very convuluted plot we were gonna add a scene to the film with Heart in it (the new single) then we didn't in the end."
Thanks!

MikeyC

#117 Post by MikeyC »

G_Goalden wrote:
Tue 31 Mar 2020, 1:29 pm
TallThinMan wrote:
Sage wrote:
Got a source for that?
IMDb says that he was in Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit - which were both successful, as was X-men. He also managed to get himself on Coronation Street.

He's done a few of other TV and film things too, and some theatre stuff.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005212/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Sorry - I couldn't resist - blame the isolation!

G.
“Blame the isolation” — a good song title!!

Ian M. also plays an important role in one of the best Scissor Sisters songs!! x

Suburban_Boy

#118 Post by Suburban_Boy »

I knew that Gareth Hunt was no longer with us, but was actually quite surprised to discover that Joss Ackland still is, and based on this video, still going strong at 92!

https://youtu.be/03RvlxssMHo

He's posting here as part of Letters Live which in the current climate has gone online and changed tack a little. For those who aren't familiar with it, description below.
LETTERS LIVE is a series of live events celebrating the power of literary correspondence. Inspired by Shaun Usher's Letters of Note, Letters Live is an initiative by publishing company Canongate and Benedict Cumberbatch’s production company SunnyMarch. It has become a phenomenon wherever is has played in the UK.
The idea of LETTERS LIVE is simple: we ask talented, inspiring and high-profile artists from various disciplines to read letters out loud to our audiences. LETTERS LIVE celebrates letter writing and the art of correspondence first and foremost.

Pod

#119 Post by Pod »

Yeah Joss Ackland has been quite frank about his role in the film...
Old report, but hey...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1476550.stm
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

Bucky Goldstein

#120 Post by Bucky Goldstein »

Yeah, didn't he say he only did it because his daughter was a fan, or something? To be fair to him, he is the best thing in it...
"...Purchase or hire thirty-eight ripe Spongs. Wheel them home, and shoot them. Then simply bake them, and eat them once. The end."