US TOUR

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
boyjohn

Re: US TOUR

#16 Post by boyjohn » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 11:42 pm

It does seem a bit far fetched, but stranger things have happened. Getting Marr on board for such an excursion would be the icing on the cake.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Luke Colorado

#17 Post by Luke Colorado » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 11:47 pm

I’d pay $500/ticket to see them play the Electric album all the way thru with a Disappointed encore. I’m not joking.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Disco.

#18 Post by Disco. » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 12:20 am

Well, they played bigger venues than that on the last tour in the U.S.

Luke Colorado

#19 Post by Luke Colorado » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 12:25 am

Wrong. The last two DC venues (2013 and 2016) they played a 19xx seater and a 18xx seater. Comparing apples to apples: NO filled a 6K seater.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

glennjridge

#20 Post by glennjridge » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 4:28 am

This seems kinda wrong. I dont think bands that have been around for so long and have both tasted success like both of these have, want to share a bill.

even though you might not think so, after all these years, they probably view each other as a threat and would rather it just be themselves.

Sage

#21 Post by Sage » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 6:56 am

What a treat for the fans, seeing these two bands live in the same night.

They really should do some sort of duet or crossover. 'Getting Away With It' is most suitable, and they could also guest appear on a song for each other, the way they've done with Brandon Flowers.

Disco.

#22 Post by Disco. » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 9:40 am

Luke Colorado wrote:
Sun 09 Feb 2020, 12:25 am
Wrong. The last two DC venues (2013 and 2016) they played a 19xx seater and a 18xx seater. Comparing apples to apples: NO filled a 6K seater.
They played bigger venues in other cities.

Spittingcat

#23 Post by Spittingcat » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 10:43 am

they probably view each other as a threat
Or, alternatively, they are known as having long standing friendships and having a lot of respect for each other.

PSBForTheMasses

#24 Post by PSBForTheMasses » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 12:09 pm

glennjridge wrote:
Sun 09 Feb 2020, 4:28 am
This seems kinda wrong. I dont think bands that have been around for so long and have both tasted success like both of these have, want to share a bill.

even though you might not think so, after all these years, they probably view each other as a threat and would rather it just be themselves.
What is left "for threat" (unless I misunderstood your post)? Both bands have had immerse commercial success in the past but now they do not put the charts on flame; actually their chart positions (and sales) are a joke. Each has its core fan base who will probably buy any album even if it has no songs but snippets of random musical instruments. Each has proven themselves for success, respect and quality, and collected as many awards as there are. And each is relatively unknown to young generation (by the way, I have always assumed that PSB are more internationally recognized than NO. In Turkey, NO would not be able to fill a small club for concert, but PSB have (to my surprise) a large and dedicated fan base and played here two times).

Sage

#25 Post by Sage » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 1:29 pm

PSBForTheMasses wrote:
Sun 09 Feb 2020, 12:09 pm
glennjridge wrote:
Sun 09 Feb 2020, 4:28 am

What is left "for threat" (unless I misunderstood your post)? Both bands have had immerse commercial success in the past but now they do not put the charts on flame; actually their chart positions (and sales) are a joke. Each has its core fan base who will probably buy any album even if it has no songs but snippets of random musical instruments. Each has proven themselves for success, respect and quality, and collected as many awards as there are. And each is relatively unknown to young generation (by the way, I have always assumed that PSB are more internationally recognized than NO. In Turkey, NO would not be able to fill a small club for concert, but PSB have (to my surprise) a large and dedicated fan base and played here two times).
I think New Order are bigger in Australia than PSB.
I only found out about PSB from a UK TV show in 2009, and barely hear about them meanwhile everyone knows Joy Division and Blue Monday.
Though you are right. I checked Spotify. New Order have 4,585,823 monthly listens and PSB have 4,679,263.
I used to be a bigger fan of NO but shifted over to PSB. Clearly it's more rewarding to be a pethead with the amount of content they release.
If PSB view NO as a threat, would they really be promoting their music? In the interview from 4 days ago they went on about how good New Order are and their album Substance.
They're friends, not rivals. Barney went to one of the Super shows IIRC, they seem to keep close tabs on each other.

psbfannyc

#26 Post by psbfannyc » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 1:59 pm

If this is true...then PSB would obviously open up for New Order...

I actually hope they do collaborate on a live journey. It would be great with a Peter Saville multimedia designed show for the both of them.

glennjridge

#27 Post by glennjridge » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 2:32 pm

That whole minefield of who opens for who captures the problem why I dont think it would happen. someone is going to have to be the subordinate to a peer in the situation. psbfanny said, "obviously" the PSB would open for NO. I doubt Neil and Chris would cede that.

it would effectively define who won the endless NO vs PSB debate. you might think oh big deal they are all adults...but not really when it comes to things like this. ego's are involved. even something as simple as who goes on last would speak volumes.

think prince and Michael jackson agreeing to touring together. I suspect that wouldnt have happened because of a "rivalry" even if it was friendly. I doubt any of these groups wants the baggage of that.

Flaffer

#28 Post by Flaffer » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 3:05 pm

glennjridge wrote:
Sun 09 Feb 2020, 2:32 pm
someone is going to have to be the subordinate to a peer in the situation. psbfanny said, "obviously" the PSB would open for NO. I doubt Neil and Chris would cede that.
Hi Gary, Jason et al
Still waiting to hear the Adam Freeland, Manhattan Clique and Axwell mixes of Integral.

Disco.

#29 Post by Disco. » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 3:27 pm

psbfannyc wrote:
Sun 09 Feb 2020, 1:59 pm
If this is true...then PSB would obviously open up for New Order...

I actually hope they do collaborate on a live journey. It would be great with a Peter Saville multimedia designed show for the both of them.
Why obviously :D

psbfannyc

#30 Post by psbfannyc » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 4:32 pm

glennjridge wrote:
Sun 09 Feb 2020, 2:32 pm
That whole minefield of who opens for who captures the problem why I dont think it would happen. someone is going to have to be the subordinate to a peer in the situation. psbfanny said, "obviously" the PSB would open for NO. I doubt Neil and Chris would cede that.

it would effectively define who won the endless NO vs PSB debate. you might think oh big deal they are all adults...but not really when it comes to things like this. ego's are involved. even something as simple as who goes on last would speak volumes.

think prince and Michael jackson agreeing to touring together. I suspect that wouldnt have happened because of a "rivalry" even if it was friendly. I doubt any of these groups wants the baggage of that.
But they did for Robbie Williams and according to Neil, it was very lucrative.