Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
onzio

Re: Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

#61 Post by onzio » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 2:52 pm

I prefer it being at the end. I have the feeling that the album ends with Burning the Heather and then the end credits start to roll, while the performance is over. It has that "let's just relax and stop being serious" kind of mood when you are aware of the great job you did. I stop being serious too and I enjoy my 5 minutes of childish attitude while listening to it.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Dog

#62 Post by Dog » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 3:26 pm

Yes, I prefer it at the end. The bells at the end of Happy People and beginning of Wedding suggest they could have been together originally. Burning the heather would have ended the album excellently but better Wedding is at the end than mid-album.
Woof.

Patrick Bateman

#63 Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 7:24 pm

ArtHist wrote:
Thu 30 Jan 2020, 7:30 pm
Lyrics: "We're getting married, because we love each other"

Ummm... is there some other reason? Tax scam? Green card? For a dare?
Ennui.

chrissyboy

#64 Post by chrissyboy » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 7:28 pm

Some say Wedding in Berlin is fun. I have to say it isn’t. It’s an abomination. It sits alongside One and One Make Five, The Night I Fell in Love, Happiness and Hold On as some of the most cringeworthy garbage they’ve produced. Left as the final track on Hotspot it would almost ruin what is otherwise as lovely, cohesive album. It has to go.

gehegu

#65 Post by gehegu » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 7:36 pm

According to the Spanish radio 3 interview wedding was originally a present for a friend couple and psb’s intention was to use it as a b-side, but Price fell in love with the song and somehow convinced them to be in hotspot.

Pod

#66 Post by Pod » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 7:44 pm

Over a week in now and I’m loving Hotspot, except track 10, which is still crap.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

leesmapman

#67 Post by leesmapman » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 7:45 pm

Crazy Price. But as Shakespeare once said: every good comedy ends with a wedding. Or something like that.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

glennjridge

#68 Post by glennjridge » Mon 03 Feb 2020, 11:45 pm

I said many times here I hoped they would put it on some B-side because I was dying to hear it. its a great title. little did I know I would get my wish in the worst possible way. one of the most precious real estates on an album there is.. "the closer".. and apparently Price said, "we need a closer boys.... and by God it has to drone.

onzio

#69 Post by onzio » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 10:15 am

chrissyboy wrote:
Mon 03 Feb 2020, 7:28 pm
Some say Wedding in Berlin is fun. I have to say it isn’t. It’s an abomination. It sits alongside One and One Make Five, The Night I Fell in Love, Happiness and Hold On as some of the most cringeworthy garbage they’ve produced. Left as the final track on Hotspot it would almost ruin what is otherwise as lovely, cohesive album. It has to go.
Ok so I like abominations!
I love One and One Make Five and Happiness
I absolutely hate The Night I Fell in Love and Hold On.
I don't understand how they could be associated!
On Wedding in Berlin I've stressed out my opinion about it a couple of times: it has a great backing track, ace melody, earworming chant, but I think that the lyrics are really cheap and obvious, and I think that the wedding march insertions are just a fun note, and didn't add anything to the track. This is obviously a track and not a song, take it like it is.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

luca857

#70 Post by luca857 » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 12:56 pm

I hated WIB at first. Then I tried hard to like it and I almost succeeded, because I knew I'd have to live with this album for a long time. Eventually I went back to my initial impression. Not only it's an abomination, but it's also a shame that it's been given such precious place in an album (to be fair though it's not the first time that this happens). Add to that the fact that it was Price's idea.

karnsculpture

#71 Post by karnsculpture » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 1:45 pm

I think it's a fun track, nothing wrong with PSB being fun as long as it isn't all they do.

Pod

#72 Post by Pod » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 8:57 pm

I’ve officially divorced it, because I don’t love it. I did it without delay.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

the8thark

#73 Post by the8thark » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 3:04 pm

Kiran wrote:
Wed 29 Jan 2020, 8:08 pm
I've now run through the album 3 times. On first hearing I disliked it. By the 3rd play I dislike it slightly less but still think it should be a b-side. I'd rather it simply wasn't on the album and there was just 9 tracks.
I agree 100%.
Just like how I also feel Legacy should have been a b-side too and Yes should have had 10 tracks only.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

billjermaine

#74 Post by billjermaine » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 6:18 am

I love the production of it and support the change in traditional song structure. My main problem with it is the cringey lyrics with no context whatsoever to ironise it, no darkness to offset it, no punchline. No true Pet Shop Boys fan should trust any world built on pure love and happiness and wedding bells. It should cause alarm.

Dog

#75 Post by Dog » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 10:11 am

billjermaine wrote:I love the production of it and support the change in traditional song structure. My main problem with it is the cringey lyrics with no context whatsoever to ironise it, no darkness to offset it, no punchline. No true Pet Shop Boys fan should trust any world built on pure love and happiness and wedding bells. It should cause alarm.
Proportionately there’s little irony in the PSB canon. They are often at pains to point out that the majority of their work is from the heart and irony-free.
Woof.