Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
le petit corbusier

Re: Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

#16 Post by le petit corbusier » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 12:58 pm

A few days have passed and I can confidently say I love Wedding in Berlin. Can't wait to get married (if I ever do) and play this for two hours straight to the attendees.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

moxlox

#17 Post by moxlox » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm

I liked it immediately! Still do.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is the next single, despite the caustic reaction on here!!

Our tenth wedding anniversary is next week and the lyrics resonate well with how I felt at the time (and still do!) - my wife likes it too.
Circuses and Bread

rashomon

#18 Post by rashomon » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 2:05 pm

My missus just heard it for the first time ... not madly impressed but not hating either.

She thought it was cheesy but agreed with my view that the loose choppy synthline has something of the sound of the album version of 'Big Time Sensuality' by Bjork

https://youtu.be/B5Dc1LEn4AM
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

le petit corbusier

#19 Post by le petit corbusier » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 2:08 pm

rashomon wrote:My missus just heard it for the first time ... not madly impressed but not hating either.

She thought it was cheesy but agreed with my view that the loose choppy synthline has something of the sound of the album version of 'Big Time Sensuality' by Bjork

What a good song, Big time sensuality. I always wished for a PSB Vs Björk collab. Impossible, I know.
Look left, then right
And run for your life

rojak

#20 Post by rojak » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm

The band's website just posted a youtube clip of the church bells that was used for the track. After Stuart transforming it into a warped and ominous sound, I can't help but to speculate if it was meant to allude to the ugly mess that is Brexit, a soured marriage.

Oznerol

#21 Post by Oznerol » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 3:16 pm

I was adviced here on the forum that it was so terrible that (as it use to happen) I didn´t found it so bad whe I heard it.
It's really a weird decition to include it on the album for sure, it's a perfect piece for a b-side, like almost all the PSB songs released for special moments ("Casting a Shadow" for the eclipse -b-side of New York city boy-,"One-Hit Wonder" for a TV show -b-side of Pop Kids-, "Screaming" for the Psycho remake -b-side of I don't know what you want but I can't give it any more), but I think it filled a gap on their discography..they released songs for almost any situation (even ringtones!) so music for a wedding was maybe inevitable!
Being said that, I think that the instrumental is GREAT and work perfectly for the situation, but I have some problems with the lyrics: I found them a little awkward, going from the cheesy and obvious ("we love each other" "because time feels right") to the really unnecessary ("because all people do it no matter if they're straight or gay"...the inclussion of this sentence implies that YES, it still matters! Otherwise, the clarification is unnecessary..the same way you don´t need to clarify "no matter if they're black or white", or "thin or fat", or whatever, if you get my point.That line turned a Universal song into a particular thing, around an specific subject..just the opposite of what they tried to do...IMHO...)
This is not my signature.

le petit corbusier

#22 Post by le petit corbusier » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 3:26 pm

I see what you mean, Oznerol. But the song is not pretending it never mattered, or gay rights always existed or exist everywhere. It's a celebratory song about, also, gay people finally being able to marry. But those rights shouldn't be taken for granted, as laws aren't eternal or set in stone as things could change for the worse (if you agree gay marriage is a good thing).
Look left, then right
And run for your life

jollysight

#23 Post by jollysight » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 3:37 pm

The song is an absolute disaster.
It is so cringe. Like Jivebunny has made an unwanted comeback.
Counts Give it a Go and Winner as friends.

The only coldspot on the album IMHO. It should have stayed as a gift for friends.

KingofRome

#24 Post by KingofRome » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 3:39 pm

rashomon wrote:
Thu 30 Jan 2020, 2:05 pm
My missus just heard it for the first time ... not madly impressed but not hating either.

maybe you missed my post, i heard Björk too ^^

https://youtu.be/u_4afV_onWI

Synthrobot

#25 Post by Synthrobot » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 4:29 pm

Oznerol wrote:
Thu 30 Jan 2020, 3:16 pm
I found them a little awkward, going from the cheesy and obvious ("we love each other" "because time feels right") to the really unnecessary ("because all people do it no matter if they're straight or gay"...the inclussion of this sentence implies that YES, it still matters! Otherwise, the clarification is unnecessary..the same way you don´t need to clarify "no matter if they're black or white", or "thin or fat", or whatever, if you get my point.That line turned a Universal song into a particular thing, around an specific subject..just the opposite of what they tried to do...IMHO...)
I agree. That bit makes me, not cringe, but feel awkward. I LOVE the song however. It is weird, but good weird.
If I ever get married again that’ll be played, no question.

Gabby

#26 Post by Gabby » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

Synthrobot wrote:
Thu 30 Jan 2020, 4:29 pm
Oznerol wrote:
I found them a little awkward, going from the cheesy and obvious ("we love each other" "because time feels right") to the really unnecessary ("because all people do it no matter if they're straight or gay"...the inclussion of this sentence implies that YES, it still matters! Otherwise, the clarification is unnecessary..the same way you don´t need to clarify "no matter if they're black or white", or "thin or fat", or whatever, if you get my point.That line turned a Universal song into a particular thing, around an specific subject..just the opposite of what they tried to do...IMHO...)
I agree. That bit makes me, not cringe, but feel awkward. I LOVE the song however. It is weird, but good weird.
If I ever get married again that’ll be played, no question.
I like WIB a lot, but have to agree the inclusion of this line paradoxically makes it feel LESS inclusive.

djveef

#27 Post by djveef » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 6:25 pm

Oznerol wrote:
I was adviced here on the forum that it was so terrible that ...
... WIB was the first track of Hotspot I have listened to!

boyjohn

#28 Post by boyjohn » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 6:27 pm

I'm glad that they put the line in. Even though most of us live in marriage equality countries, many of their fans don't and it's good to have a shout out to those people who still live in backward countries.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Gabby

#29 Post by Gabby » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 6:31 pm

boyjohn wrote:
Thu 30 Jan 2020, 6:27 pm
I'm glad that they put the line in. Even though most of us live in marriage equality countries, many of their fans don't and it's good to have a shout out to those people who still live in backward countries.
That is a fair comment. :)

ZiggyPSB

#30 Post by ZiggyPSB » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 7:07 pm

Here’s something fun. Take the music of Wedding in Berlin, and add the lyrics of Gin and Jag.

Never married, no kids that I know of
Didn’t want a litter
It might have been a mistake I admit
But you don’t want to end up bitter
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017