Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
djveef

Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

#1 Post by djveef » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 4:51 pm

Hi there!

This is my first post here... So risky... But I shall do it! :wink:

The closing track of Hotspot is definitely controversial for many of us: "so weak", "it's a shame", "should have been replaced by decide", and so on...

My point of view: an instant gold nugget! A so unexpected track in terms of song structure, fluctuating between love and irony.

Note: I should mention I may be influenced by the fact my girlfriend and myself have decided to get married in 2023 (so more in line with the love side of my last sentence)...

Cheers,
DJ Veef

ArtHist

Re: Wedding in Berlin: revival of interest?

#2 Post by ArtHist » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 5:22 pm

More chance of a Third Reich in Berlin Revival.

Effen Vida

#3 Post by Effen Vida » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 5:32 pm

I’ve lived with it for more than most and, now that I’m over the shock of it, I’ve begun to really enjoy it.
This isn’t something I expected at all. Honestly, I utterly hated it at first...so maybe there’s hope for some of you, too.

Propertius

#5 Post by Propertius » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 6:05 pm

I was thinking it should have been a b-side, but then it occurred to me that for sales reasons it made sense to include it on the album: there will be some demand for the song at weddings, and by associating the song with the album, they might sell a few more albums. It’s more helpful than it would be on a single—though all these old formats may be growing marginal...

Artistically the song has me of two minds—I skip it a lot, and I don’t like it very much, but at the same time I do like being challenged a little to develop an appreciation of something I don’t instantly find appealing. There have been quite a few PSB songs I thought were far below their standards, at first, that I later came to love. So even in the context of the album, WIB does something for me, even if not what I’d ideally want.

Tom Angel

#6 Post by Tom Angel » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 6:35 pm

I HATED it, and thought that after all the effort it ruined the album.

Decide would most certainly have made the album a classic, but Wedding has grown on me - i like the looped bells sound in the background - it's pretty good, and it feels like a bit of welcomed lightheartedness after Burning the heather, which I thought was too pedestrian at first but it's gorgeous and fits in really well.

Hot spot lacking An open mind is missing an open goal too, but that's the PSB these days.

Wedding in berlin should be filed as 'a good idea at the time' BUT it's OK
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Kiran

#7 Post by Kiran » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 8:08 pm

I've now run through the album 3 times. On first hearing I disliked it. By the 3rd play I dislike it slightly less but still think it should be a b-side. I'd rather it simply wasn't on the album and there was just 9 tracks.
I rule. You don't.

Pod

#8 Post by Pod » Wed 29 Jan 2020, 8:18 pm

The instrumental version is tolerable.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

MikeyC

#9 Post by MikeyC » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 12:31 am

Upon first listen I thought “WTF???” but it’s no more WTF?? than ‘Happiness’ is from Super! I can’t help but smile when I hear it now, and those beats are infectious!! It’s a fun, joyous way to end the album!
Last edited by MikeyC on Thu 30 Jan 2020, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

glennjridge

#10 Post by glennjridge » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 2:16 am

This song to me is such a missed opportunity, I really believe they ....could have... created a song that could and would be played at weddings. it has the perfect lyric concept...they have the perfect platform to get the song out to the people, but...instead
they wasted it all to put said nice lyrics and wonderful sentiment with a droning monotonous and dreary backing track.

if there was any time to do a campy glorious sounding patented upbeat and beautiful song like "liberation" it was for this track, and they just totally lost the plot. nobody's going to play this at weddings. also didnt help they named it "wedding in berlin' rather than "w're getting married"

Eleven

#11 Post by Eleven » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 2:45 am

It should be the next single just in time for the tour

retrofuturist

#12 Post by retrofuturist » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 5:29 am

Greetings,

Like Effen Vida, "I’ve lived with it for more than most", but I still find nothing particularly redeeming about it.

I believe it should have been relegated to b-side status, like another song they performed at a "special occasion" - I Cried For Us. It wouldn't have been out of place at all on the single of Dreamland.

Retro. :)

jasonjohn

#13 Post by jasonjohn » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 5:52 am

Closing track for a themed EP Marriage, or something.

Debussy

#14 Post by Debussy » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 9:45 am

I've flip flopped between thinking it's amusing and clever, or a major mis-step.
I've settled on the latter. I wonder which other songs were shelved in favour of this?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

rashomon

#15 Post by rashomon » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 9:50 am

I keep humming "we're getting married .... we're getting married" ... so it's doing the ear-worm thing for me.

I'm undecided on this track but do find it a welcome boost in energy after the beautiful melancholy of churning the sweater.

I consider it a palette cleanser that leads nicely into Will-o-the-wisp
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional