You Are The One - Birds

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
glennjridge

Re: You Are The One - Birds

#31 Post by glennjridge » Mon 10 Feb 2020, 5:38 am

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Tue 04 Feb 2020, 10:51 pm
Nope. I still don’t get it. Sad robot world hardly sounds any cleverer than You are the one.
Thats ok. to each their own. I just dont like overused cliche teen pop style lyrics is all. you are the one, the only one,and all that.
Neil was def on automatic pilot with those 2 tracks.

the8thark

#32 Post by the8thark » Mon 10 Feb 2020, 5:53 am

glennjridge wrote:
Mon 10 Feb 2020, 5:38 am
Thats ok. to each their own. I just dont like overused cliche teen pop style lyrics is all. you are the one, the only one,and all that.
Musically Hotspot is not that bad at all, quite good at times.
Lyrically I agree with you, the album is not even close to the best lyrics Neil and Chris have written.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

onzio

#33 Post by onzio » Mon 10 Feb 2020, 11:39 am

the8thark wrote:
Mon 10 Feb 2020, 5:53 am
glennjridge wrote:
Mon 10 Feb 2020, 5:38 am
Musically Hotspot is not that bad at all, quite good at times.
Lyrically I agree with you, the album is not even close to the best lyrics Neil and Chris have written.
I agree too. The lyrics are propably the weakest link this time.
I love the overall sound and the beautiful melodies btw.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Dog

#34 Post by Dog » Mon 10 Feb 2020, 10:35 pm

Old Soak wrote:Has anyone heard this preview version with sampled speech at the end as noted on Geowayne today?
On at least some (possibly all) preview copies of Hotspot distributed to journalists, a brief sampled snippet of a young woman saying "I'd like to meet you" occurs near the end of "You Are the One." It sounds as though it comes from a film (if so, which one?), perhaps like the "European film we could have seen" mentioned in the lyrics, though it also reflects the song's deeply romantic lyrics and mood. Why this sample was removed from the final released version of the album is unknown; it could be there were copyright issues, or maybe the Boys simply thought better of it and felt the track would be improved by its deletion.
Interesting.
Woof.

retrofuturist

#35 Post by retrofuturist » Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm

Wow. It's very true, and it's a real shame they were taken out because for me it was a highlight of the song. So much so, I mentioned it in my initial review of the album. To be honest, I hadn't noticed until now, as I didn't bother listening to CD1 and went straight to the instrumentals. Hearing the final version now, it feels empty without the samples.

At 2:22 there is a dialogue between a male and female in Italian, that sounds like it was recorded down the end of a telephone line. Then at 2:34 it concludes when she says "I'm glad to meet you".

Then another "I'm glad to meet you" at 3.24.

Also, Neil's ethereal "the one, the one" from 2.24 to 2.35 do not appear on the media version.

Old Soak

#36 Post by Old Soak » Sun 16 Feb 2020, 10:32 pm

retrofuturist wrote:
Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:02 pm
Wow. It's very true, and it's a real shame they were taken out because for me it was a highlight of the song. So much so, I mentioned it in my initial review of the album. To be honest, I hadn't noticed until now, as I didn't bother listening to CD1 and went straight to the instrumentals. Hearing the final version now, it feels empty without the samples.

At 2:22 there is a dialogue between a male and female in Italian, that sounds like it was recorded down the end of a telephone line. Then at 2:34 it concludes when she says "I'm glad to meet you".

Then another "I'm glad to meet you" at 3.24.

Also, Neil's ethereal "the one, the one" from 2.24 to 2.35 do not appear on the media version.
How did it get distributed please? CD or digital file? Either presumably watermarked?
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing