You Are The One - Birds

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
boyjohn

Re: You Are The One - Birds

#16 Post by boyjohn »

Yes, the bird sounds are very filmic, maybe not anthemic enough.
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

rashomon

#17 Post by rashomon »

Having listened a good many times now and I’m pretty sure Neil sings the main chorus or refrain as:

You are the one / I was the one
You are the one I want / the one
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

MrTennant

#18 Post by MrTennant »

the8thark wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:30 am Does anyone know why the PSB or their team chose to put bird sounds at the beginning of the track?

The end of Will O Wisp (Last 15 seconds) feels a little tacked on just to blend in better with You Are The One. Personally I feel that last 15 seconds was not needed, and the bird sounds would have worked just well. But I digress, does anyone have any information about those bird sounds and why they exist on the track?
I really believe they could find the influence in a very well old Spanish song called Hawaii, Bombay from the most famous Spanish pop group of history called Mecano. The intro of the song is just the same and the relaxing tempo of the song is really similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzoOK2GZF8

jules

#19 Post by jules »

Maybe the birds are the grouse of burning the heather.

Spittingcat

#20 Post by Spittingcat »

This is a love song to a city… and the cliche is that bird sound is rural… a nice bit of subversion, and works so nicely.

retrofuturist

#21 Post by retrofuturist »

The train takes you from the city to the country.
A change of pace and a change of scene.
Beautiful.

df118junkie

#22 Post by df118junkie »

Future Lover wrote: Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm Are you... okay? The sound of trains is leading into the birdsong in track 02.
https://youtu.be/MrtQ7_2oQbM

Listen about 1 min onwards...

Pod

#23 Post by Pod »

I like the way the mechanical train sounds juxtapose the natural freedom of the birds. Blimey - that’s a bit deep for a Wednesday evening isn’t it?
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

BoyStrange

#24 Post by BoyStrange »

Now also Wayne Studer subscribe to the "You are the one I want/The one"-view.
(http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/hotsp ... theone.htm)

If the chorus lyric on PSBs official site indeed is correct, then it's even more cheesy and awful than it already was.
(In my opinion, of course.)

Tom Angel

#25 Post by Tom Angel »

I have to admit that this track isn't really all that. I liked it on first listen.

It's a cousin of the only one - which is one of th east underwritten, insipid songs they've ever recorded. It is better than that, but it just sounds a bit wet. Maybe it needs more listens...
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

glennjridge

#26 Post by glennjridge »

its like an undercooked chicken. its a very very slight song with no surprises to be had. it has a serviceable verse, but that chorus is as pedestrian,bland and by the numbers as they come. and I know these type of trite sentiments sell, but I would have thought that Neil and Chris were above such banal song titles.

ZiggyPSB

#27 Post by ZiggyPSB »

What is it about simple or straightforward PSB song titles or lyrics that make people turn their noses up?
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

glennjridge

#28 Post by glennjridge »

because I know how good Neil is. "Sad robot world" . thats how you name a song! the imagery alone. He's better than "you are the one".
surely he could have said what he wanted to say with something a bit more imaginative.

ZiggyPSB

#29 Post by ZiggyPSB »

Nope. I still don’t get it. Sad robot world hardly sounds any cleverer than You are the one.
I'm a proud sycophant because I like Wedding in Berlin
http://www.last.fm/user/FFancy24
Dublin 19/06/2011, Manchester 20/06/2013, Edinburgh 31/12/2013, London 23/07/2014, London 23/07/2016, London 02/04/2017

Old Soak

#30 Post by Old Soak »

Has anyone heard this preview version with sampled speech at the end as noted on Geowayne today?
On at least some (possibly all) preview copies of Hotspot distributed to journalists, a brief sampled snippet of a young woman saying "I'd like to meet you" occurs near the end of "You Are the One." It sounds as though it comes from a film (if so, which one?), perhaps like the "European film we could have seen" mentioned in the lyrics, though it also reflects the song's deeply romantic lyrics and mood. Why this sample was removed from the final released version of the album is unknown; it could be there were copyright issues, or maybe the Boys simply thought better of it and felt the track would be improved by its deletion.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing