Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Which Hotspot instrumental (2nd disc) is your favourite?

Will-O-the-Wisp
15
34%
You Are The One
1
2%
Happy People
5
11%
Dreamland
2
5%
Hoping For A Miracle
8
18%
I Don't Wanna
1
2%
Monkey Business
4
9%
Only The Dark
4
9%
Burning The Heather
1
2%
Wedding in Berlin
3
7%
 
Total votes: 44

Message
Author
User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#31 Post by Greendrake » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:15 am

amandine insensible wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 6:17 pm
I skip It's a Sin cause I didn't grow up Catholic. and The Theatre cause I'm not homeless. and The Dictator Decides cause I'm not a dictator :roll:
Nice try aye. Seriously, made me think a bit.

As a listener, I can feel strong indirect connection to song lyrics or, otherwise, interpret it in some metaphoric way I feel connected to.

It's a sin deals with the issue of younger generations being pressurised by their older superiors into certain way of thinking and behaviour, and the ability to question that and go your own way despite that pressure and direction. You don't need to have grown up Catholic to feel connected to that.

The Theatre raises social issues. They affect everyone, not just the homeless. The dictator decides takes it to the global level. Everyone who is not indifferent to the global situation and the presence of authoritarian regimes in the world can feel connected to it.

A quintessential example would be Can you forgive her? (which made me a PSB fan and has been my most favourite PSB track since then) — despite what the lyrics are literally about. I was 13 back then, barely understood English and could comprehend none of the lyrics except for the title. But nonetheless I strongly perceived the song as being about facing facts and admitting truth that is difficult to accept. This is universally applicable, not just to boyfriends accused by their girlfriends of being gay.

Unlike all the above, I don't see how to generalise or take in a metaphoric way a song explicitly talking about a man still feeling attraction to his former male lover he accidentally comes across in public. Unlike all the above, this is intimately personal. You either see yourself in the scenario, or it is not for you at all.
Only the duck can show you the stars!

User avatar
Ghost within this house
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#32 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:23 am

Does anyone know where you can buy copies? I've got one copy (and the signed print) on its way from the Official Store, but I want a second copy and it doesn't appear as if the Official Store has any left!

Any ideas, hive mind?

Ghost
x
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

User avatar
Spittingcat
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 11:11 am
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#33 Post by Spittingcat » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:25 am

I don't see how to generalise or take in a metaphoric way
Have you never loved and lost? Never thought about what someone from your past is doing now, when seeing them again for the first time in a long time? Never pondered how as we get older our lives and paths all change? Or, for that matter, have you never wanted to listen to a song that isn’t about the life you know?
Any ideas, hive mind?
Exclusive to HMV now, I believe.

https://store.hmv.com/store/music/cd/ho ... exclusive)

User avatar
Ghost within this house
Posts: 3159
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#34 Post by Ghost within this house » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:32 am

Sorted!

Ta
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#35 Post by Greendrake » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 2:40 am

Spittingcat wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 12:25 am
Have you never loved and lost? Never thought about what someone from your past is doing now, when seeing them again for the first time in a long time? Never pondered how as we get older our lives and paths all change? Or, for that matter, have you never wanted to listen to a song that isn’t about the life you know?
That angle works indeed. But the explicitness of the story being man-to-man adversely interferes with it and disturbs my perception to the point where I am better off imagining my own story while listening to the instrumental.
Patrick Bateman wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 8:21 pm
Why Dreamland? Is it because there are two gay singers? The lyrics don’t seem particularly offensive to homophobes.
Not really accepting your inference of me being a homophobe, but that's off-topic.

The reason Dreamland (instrumental) works much better for me has nothing to do with the lyrics or sexual orientation of the singers. It's the creative input of Mr Alexander. His voice is definitely not my cup of tea. I especially dislike the way he sings "It’s a kind of amnesia where all problems seem to disappear": such a far-fetched pathetic effort to squeeze a piece of harmonic melody out of himself. I feel ashamed for PSB to have allowed that. The instrumental feels much more harmonically coherent.
Only the duck can show you the stars!

User avatar
onzio
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#36 Post by onzio » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:24 am

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 10:28 am
Will-o-the-wisp indeed because it's a great track but the lyrics are not appealing to a 100% straight person. I in fact have replaced Will-o-the-wisp, Dreamland and Wedding in Berlin with their instrumentals in my Hotspot playlist.
Oh, I simply Imagine in my mind that the one on the train is a girl instead of a man.
I can relate with it. I used to dangerously stare at girls on the train at my UNI times.
Sometimes I got eye contact and a smile, sometimes I've been sued for stalking. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't you really listen to love songs sung by women? I mean just swap the gender.
That could apply on whathever you like that day...
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#37 Post by Greendrake » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:45 am

onzio wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:24 am
Oh, I simply Imagine in my mind that the one on the train is a girl instead of a man.
Heh.. I did try that.
But girls are not called "handsome" or "chap"s. And they don't become "respectable with a wife". Sorry but this time Neil wanted to be perfectly explicit about the genders.
Only the duck can show you the stars!

User avatar
onzio
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue 28 Oct 2003, 1:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#38 Post by onzio » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:53 am

Greendrake wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:45 am
onzio wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:24 am
Oh, I simply Imagine in my mind that the one on the train is a girl instead of a man.
Heh.. I did try that.
But girls are not called "handsome" or "chap"s. And they don't become "respectable with a wife". Sorry but this time Neil wanted to be perfectly explicit about the genders.
Ok, I agree that this time Neil has been explicit on genders, but what I was trying to say is that it isn't an explicit gay situation... I mean it doesn't take a big effort to think that the person you'd had a crush on a long time ago, now could have gotten married with children. I think is the same situation, as I wrote, whan you listen to a love song sung by a woman to a man. It works both way to me... I'm not so literal, I like the story. But I do agree that Neil has lost his universal touch talking about love and become more explicit like Olly suggested.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

bongsteve
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue 14 Aug 2007, 3:21 am
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#39 Post by bongsteve » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:12 am

Given we have instrumental versions of Yes, Elysium, Electric and now Hotspot, were there ever instrumental releases for Fundamental or Super? I don't recall hearing of or seeing them anywhere including discogs.

User avatar
Spittingcat
Posts: 755
Joined: Thu 27 Sep 2012, 11:11 am
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot

#40 Post by Spittingcat » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:16 am

But the explicitness of the story being man-to-man adversely interferes with it and disturbs my perception...
There’s really no need for it to, at all. No need to be disturbed. Brush that old prejudice aside, it’s of no use to you really, it’s just indoctrination and you can beat it.
But girls are not called "handsome"
They are sometimes.
And they don't become "respectable with a wife".
Sorry? Do you mean that you think a woman can’t have a wife… or a woman can’t be respectable and have a wife at the same time?

User avatar
glennjridge
Posts: 7919
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#41 Post by glennjridge » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:00 am

by the same token....why cant they release the acapellas also? theres alot of us who like to play around with their acapellas and redo the songs in a different way. but from what I understand if you have the instrumentals the acapellas can be created because of that, which I always find amazing.

User avatar
Greendrake
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed 29 Oct 2003, 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot

#42 Post by Greendrake » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:07 am

Spittingcat wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:16 am
Do you mean that you think a woman can’t have a wife… or a woman can’t be respectable and have a wife at the same time?
Women certainly can have wives and be respectable at the same time. But come on — you know that interpretation doesn't fit in here.
The narrative is clearly about a man who used to go out with men openly, but "maybe" doesn't do it anymore and has "gone respectable with a wife" instead. I'm fairly certain Neil used the word "respectable" here referring to the fact that being gay was stigmatised (disreputable) in the past (and still is in many places in the world).
bongsteve wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:12 am
Given we have instrumental versions of Yes, Elysium, Electric and now Hotspot, were there ever instrumental releases for Fundamental or Super?
Nope. By the way, the instrumentals of Electric were likely not authentic (the audio spectrogram shows that they were pressed from mp3s, the disk was never officially mentioned, and also because releasing them as a promo, unlike instrumentals of the other albums, seems odd). They may have well been made with voice removal software, which I guess can do damn good job these days.
Only the duck can show you the stars!

User avatar
glennjridge
Posts: 7919
Joined: Sat 01 Nov 2003, 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#43 Post by glennjridge » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:11 am

onzio wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:53 am
Greendrake wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:45 am
onzio wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 10:24 am
Oh, I simply Imagine in my mind that the one on the train is a girl instead of a man.
Heh.. I did try that.
But girls are not called "handsome" or "chap"s. And they don't become "respectable with a wife". Sorry but this time Neil wanted to be perfectly explicit about the genders.
Ok, I agree that this time Neil has been explicit on genders, but what I was trying to say is that it isn't an explicit gay situation... I mean it doesn't take a big effort to think that the person you'd had a crush on a long time ago, now could have gotten married with children. I think is the same situation, as I wrote, whan you listen to a love song sung by a woman to a man. It works both way to me... I'm not so literal, I like the story. But I do agree that Neil has lost his universal touch talking about love and become more explicit like Olly suggested.
Yeah I agree. I always enjoyed how neil could write lyrics in such a way so that it was as you say universal and we all could make the songs about ourselves and thus relatabl. but I am far less bothered by his gay lyrics, than I am by the imagery they choose to have on stage and in videos.

its just my opinion, but I have no idea why if they are going to deploy trannies why said trannies always have to have such horrific looks on their faces, it looks macabre. if they are going to simulate men who dress like women, why cant they just get real women?! the problem is SOLVED. or even those dancers in their live show with their corny early 80's dance moves. I should know. I see enough of those shitty 80's movies like dancin 2 electric boogaloo.

User avatar
NikacP0kac
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri 10 May 2013, 12:55 am
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#44 Post by NikacP0kac » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:13 am

Dreamland, because it's probably the only one I like more than the vocal version.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

User avatar
Sage
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:08 am
Contact:

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#45 Post by Sage » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 3:26 am

glennjridge wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:00 am
by the same token....why cant they release the acapellas also? theres alot of us who like to play around with their acapellas and redo the songs in a different way. but from what I understand if you have the instrumentals the acapellas can be created because of that, which I always find amazing.
STEMS are a step above.
Each main instrument separated.
They could re-release albums in STEMS format for remixers and curious fans. Or at least the next release in the format. (Disco 5?)

I thought we could construct the Hotspot acapellas from the instrumentals but the way it was mastered means the data doesn't line up. It's ever so slightly longer in duration so instead of the instrumentals canceling out completely they remain for the most part and you can hear the tape spinning in cycles.
The fact they went analogue ruined the trick.
With Elysium you can get clean acapellas because it's all digital.

I'd buy Hotspot again if it were available in STEMS.
Juno Download and other digital music sellers offer the format alongside the well known formats.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DJAMIX, Google [Bot], King1968, MSN [Bot], rekordarsky and 26 guests