Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.

Which Hotspot instrumental (2nd disc) is your favourite?

Will-O-the-Wisp
34%
You Are The One
2%
Happy People
11%
Dreamland
5%
Hoping For A Miracle
18%
I Don't Wanna
2%
Monkey Business
9%
Only The Dark
9%
Burning The Heather
2%
Wedding in Berlin
7%

Total votes: 44

the8thark

Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#1 Post by the8thark »

I'm going to say Will-O-the Wisp

In You Are the One around the mid 1:20's the paino seems really off like it's played on the wrong timing or something. Really sounds out. Don't know why though.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

tottenhammattspurs

Re: Your favourite Hotspot Instrumental?

#2 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

Who knows? Perhaps when the official store finally send me the bloody thing I might find out! 😡😡😡
is is and isnt isnt

Greendrake

#3 Post by Greendrake »

Will-o-the-wisp indeed because it's a great track but the lyrics are not appealing to a 100% straight person. I in fact have replaced Will-o-the-wisp, Dreamland and Wedding in Berlin with their instrumentals in my Hotspot playlist.

daveid

#4 Post by daveid »

I forgot about the instrumentals despite buying the deluxe edition. Must listen today...

Nicholas

#5 Post by Nicholas »

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 10:28 am
Will-o-the-wisp indeed because it's a great track but the lyrics are not appealing to a 100% straight person. I in fact have replaced Will-o-the-wisp, Dreamland and Wedding in Berlin with their instrumentals in my Hotspot playlist.
:roll:

Glenny4

#6 Post by Glenny4 »

Will-O-the-Wisp, but it's not even in my top 3 from the album , work that one out. :lol:

Greendrake

#7 Post by Greendrake »

Nicholas wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 11:02 am
Don't know why pretend that what I have said does not make sense.

PSB have mostly been great at writing songs agnostic on sexual orientation — they fit everyone. Will-o-the-wisp is just not one of them. Not blaming them, rather thankful they have released the instrumental.

CroMagnon

#8 Post by CroMagnon »

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 11:44 am
Nicholas wrote:

PSB have mostly been great at writing songs agnostic on sexual orientation — they fit everyone. Will-o-the-wisp is just not one of them. Not blaming them, rather thankful they have released the instrumental.
So you're unable to empathise with the experience of seeing an old flame years later, and feeling that twinge of regret or latent attraction? You don't have to be any less than '100% straight' to understand that feeling, surely?

Willo is not a song about coming out or battling with sexuality - it's not Metamorphosis, for example - where it would (sort of ... I suppose) make more sense that you struggle to feel a connection with the lyrics.

Put another way ... if the song had been sung by a woman, with identical lyrics, you would have been fine with it, even though you're still not attracted to men, and the woman singing the song is?
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

Spittingcat

#9 Post by Spittingcat »

Still waiting for my CDs to turn up…
Will-o-the-wisp indeed because it's a great track but the lyrics are not appealing to a 100% straight person
Speak for yourself. Best lyrics on the album… not just because of the strong sense of place… or the contrast between the older lives of both the narrator and subject (although that of the subject is being guessed at) and their more hedonistic youth… but also because it is unashamedly written from the viewpoint of an older gay man… they are so often “invisible” in society… it’s all makes for genuinely interesting lyrics that avoid any accusation of being too generic or lacking in substance.

100% straight person loving this song here.

Markpro

#10 Post by Markpro »

Will-o-the-wisp for me, i have already mixed my own old school extended version using both tracks as i wanted it to go on forever.
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Nicholas

#11 Post by Nicholas »

Greendrake wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 11:44 am
Nicholas wrote:

Wedding in Berlin is extremely agnostic on sexual orientation. It literally has a line in it which makes this point.

Spittingcat

#12 Post by Spittingcat »

Don’t think WotW would be a good single choice, but it is the song I most want to have a proper extended mix… with an instrumental intro… so conflicted. Might just copy your idea Markpro, and sort my own one… not spent the time to do that since Thursday.

Ironically Nicholas, Wedding is the track I’m most looking forward to having an instrumental of… I really like the full version, but I can see the vocals getting trying long before those of any of the other songs do.

For a few of the slow songs, I could be using the instrumentals to remove a bit of lyrical repetition I expect. I know that’s what pop songs do… but a bit more space for the music, while keeping most of the lyrics, would suit a few of these songs I think. That’s what Electric&Super often did so well.

Nicholas

#13 Post by Nicholas »

The Hoping For a Miracle and Burning the Heather instrumentals are both phenomenal. BtH is so busy and textured and fidgety, kind of a unsettled ‘rugged moorland at dusk in heavy wind*’ sort of atmosphere. Really powerful.

*not a very articulate description

Greendrake

#14 Post by Greendrake »

CroMagnon wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 12:08 pm
So you're unable to empathise with the experience of seeing an old flame years later, and feeling that twinge of regret or latent attraction? You don't have to be any less than '100% straight' to understand that feeling, surely?
Understanding a feeling is surely not enough to empathise. Here I can do the former but not the latter — precisely because the lyrics entertain man-to-man attraction, which I can't ever feel. Not feeling connected to the lyrics is what makes it better to hear the song without lyrics at all.
CroMagnon wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 12:08 pm
Put another way ... if the song had been sung by a woman, with identical lyrics, you would have been fine with it, even though you're still not attracted to men, and the woman singing the song is?
In that case I could possibly imagine myself in the place of "such a free spirit" the woman sang about. That could have well worked actually.
Nicholas wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 12:14 pm
Wedding in Berlin is extremely agnostic on sexual orientation. It literally has a line in it which makes this point.
With Wedding in Berlin it's a totally different story why I prefer to listen to the instrumental, nothing to do with sexual orientation. I just can't help getting the lyrics as a total trolling on the whole institution of marriage — despite Chris denying any irony in the song. In fact, I admire that trolling and it makes me laugh, but for me it disqualifies the track from being an album track. Just nice to listen to it standalone once in while.

Future Lover

#15 Post by Future Lover »

This just sounds like thinly-veiled homophobia, I'm sorry.