Show your love for “Hoping for a Miracle”

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
onzio

Re: Show your love for “Hoping for a Miracle”

#16 Post by onzio »

I really love it. I agree that is the best track on the album. I like also the way it is followed by I don't wanna. This is the best part of this album. The middle bit reminds me also of Hit Music coda. The vocals are well produced, the chord change is really various but still catchy. The melody is interesting even after a massive "listen on repeat". There isn't a thing I don't like about it.
Expressing passion, explaining pain
This is my kind of music

Barn

#17 Post by Barn »

yup, best song on Hotspot for me too.

Roundhead General

#18 Post by Roundhead General »

After repeated listens it’s still my favourite song and that’s some achievement as there is plenty of competition on the album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

jules

#19 Post by jules »

I do love i don't wanna and Hoping for a miracle. Two stand out tracks. I don't listen to the singles and i have no idea if i like Wedding. I don't wanna is a kind of miserablism. Hoping is beautiful and i like tracks that tells a story. The instrumentals are great too.

Debussy

#20 Post by Debussy »

It's the standout for me. The bridge is gorgeous like a warm bath.

This is the kind of song i yearn for from each album. They always deliver a beautiful gem.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Future Lover

#21 Post by Future Lover »

Any idea on what the vocodered voice is saying? The only bit that's not available in the official lyrics?
What shocks me more is that the first seven seconds have the "It's been this way since life began" verse in a very distorted, barely audible way. Bowie-esque!

Jeff226

#22 Post by Jeff226 »

The riff is the best sound on the entire album... its haunting and perfect. I want an extended mix, and some shortening of the bridge in the middle maaaaybe.

Sandy Shaw

#23 Post by Sandy Shaw »

Wonderful song. I realised that (for me at least) there are faint echos of Song for Guy (one of the chord changes in particular).
Last edited by Sandy Shaw on Sat 07 Mar 2020, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's for supper?

Sage

#24 Post by Sage »

Future Lover wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:22 pm
Any idea on what the vocodered voice is saying? The only bit that's not available in the official lyrics?
What shocks me more is that the first seven seconds have the "It's been this way since life began" verse in a very distorted, barely audible way. Bowie-esque!
To me it says "falling down".

Future Lover

#25 Post by Future Lover »

Yeah, pretty much hear it too, but there seems to be an extra word in between. Well, let's wait for "Annually".

I project strongly to the lyrics. As a Millennial (TM), I used to be a precocious kid, best in class, one of the best in my generation actually, the world was supposed to be my oyster. I knew not if, but when. But then reality hit me, I had to choose money over my dreams, and now forever stuck in a desire for a "miraculous career". f*** Tony Blair, this is my song.

ype

#26 Post by ype »

I love it, it's simply one of their best songs ever.
Someone else might have said this elsewhere, but the hook reminds me of That's my impression.

NikacP0kac

#27 Post by NikacP0kac »

Could be miles off, could be correct.

My ears say the vocoder lyrics are "Stop me from getting better."

My two cents.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

Tom Angel

#28 Post by Tom Angel »

Is it Chris also doing a slight vocal at the end there too?

I love it. SO good. I like that it's hard to hear what's going on at the end.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

rojak

#29 Post by rojak »

This ballad is pretty close to perfect, me thinks.
Does anyone know what the vocoder line says?
And isn't the bridge simply THE sublime high point of the album? It just took my
breath away! When Neil goes, Hello, hello, for some reason, i was thinking of David Bowie...
Lastly, does the song actually covers 2 different narrators/people?

CroMagnon

#30 Post by CroMagnon »

Hoping for a miracle could slot into any one of the previous 13 albums and improve it. Things I love:

- the wonderful keyboard riff, not just the notes, but the instrumentation / sounds
- the effortless transitions from section to section, as if the song has always existed - how could it not have previously existed? - moving from verse to bridge to chorus into middle eight
- the way that the riff emerges again underneath the second part of the second verse
- the melody change and additional vocals in the final chorus, and Neil's additional vocals
- the way it sounds like the the song is going to fade with a resigned sigh ... 'with no room for manoeuvre' ... then the keyboard riff appears again one final time, then the unexpected half-heard talky bit comes in ... then the song ends and there are the tiny vinyl crackles.

It's a magnificent successor to King's Cross and Luna Park; not quite as amazing as the former, better than the latter. Best PSB track since The way it used to be.
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.