Snippets

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
lucienchardon

Re: Snippets

#46 Post by lucienchardon »

Thanks for the link. I couldn't handle the temptation and just listened a couple of times. They sound great. Funnily enough the snippet for Wedding in Berlin is one of my favorites. I don't wanna sounds really good too. Can't wait to hear the full versions on Friday! It's sounding like a fantastic album. So far, I still think Decide is the best thing from this era.

Denene

#47 Post by Denene »

Thanks so much Dog for the original link.
Rorie wrote: Wed 22 Jan 2020, 8:01 pm The snippets differ whether you play the CD snippets or the LP ones. So you can listen to two different snippets of each song by bouncing from the CD to the LP previews.
And what a star noticing the extras! I've been so lucky and had some early listens to a few of the album tracks via a journalist friend, and hearing all 10 here is brilliant. The manager at my local HMV was unboxing Hotpot yesterday and offered to put it on in store for me. He was brilliant, and said the only thing he couldn't do was sell the CD's before Friday.

Will o the wisp and I don't wanna are both absolute earworms, I love them.

Friday is going to be a superb day.

Disco.

#48 Post by Disco. »

Holding on until Friday.

Gabby

#49 Post by Gabby »

I don't mind snippets and am listening with impunity! lol

This all sounds rather good - I like the eclectic sounds and song styles - actually puts me in mind of Very which had several different flavours, yet hung together as a nice cohesive piece, so here's hoping Hotspot will be the same.

I can see even in the snippets that Effen's summation that Dreamland fits better in the album than it does as a stand alone is true.

I can understand a bit why reviewers have been lukewarm - I'm sensing some "PSB by the numbers" here too - not necessarily a bad thing - but explains why they're drawing from experiences of older albums and looking backwards at their career - and also explains why Monkey Business is getting some attention because it is somewhat outside of the PSB wheelhouse.

All in all, snippets are giving me a good feeling about the album. I know I might sounds bit critical above, but PSB are my musical heroes so even something by their standards I consider average is still head an shoulders above most of the other music out there. When they set the bar so high to start with, it's always going to be a tough audience after that.

glennjridge

#50 Post by glennjridge »

I only allowed myself one....wedding in berlin because it seems to be divisive.I figured, ah so what. at first listen it reminds me of "For your own good" with a lighter arrangement. a tad monotonous, but I will see if when i hear the final version if it changes my mind that is a very odd decision to use as a last track.

le petit corbusier

#51 Post by le petit corbusier »

All the new snippets sound ace to me. Can't wait!
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Synthrobot

#52 Post by Synthrobot »

Listened to the previews of the first two track. This is going to be great!

canveyboy

#53 Post by canveyboy »

Actually, the only 2 snippets I don’t like the sound of are Will o the wisp and Happy People - ironically 2 of the most talked up tracks on the album. But these still sound a bit too ‘trance’ like for me, a bit too Euro trancey like those awful tracks on Super - but I shall wait until hearing the songs in full before condemning them :)

Apart from those 2 I’m loving the other 8 tracks so very excited for the album!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

goughsjd

#54 Post by goughsjd »

Gabby wrote: Wed 22 Jan 2020, 10:01 pm
I can understand a bit why reviewers have been lukewarm - I'm sensing some "PSB by the numbers" here too - not necessarily a bad thing - but explains why they're drawing from experiences of older albums and looking backwards at their career - and also explains why Monkey Business is getting some attention because it is somewhat outside of the PSB wheelhouse.

All in all, snippets are giving me a good feeling about the album.
I would agree about sounding a bit PSB by numbers in a good way! Probably why I really like the sound of it so far!! Wedding instrumental I imagine will be great!!
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

romy

#55 Post by romy »

"Happy People" sounds like this,,,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ye4NeVdUT8

Andie

#56 Post by Andie »

I've listened to the snippets, they sound great, but tbh it's hard to tell from 30 secs!! Roll on tomorrow!!
    Don’t be scared, for only the dark can show you the stars

daveid

#57 Post by daveid »

glennjridge wrote: Wed 22 Jan 2020, 11:01 pm I only allowed myself one....wedding in berlin because it seems to be divisive.I figured, ah so what. at first listen it reminds me of "For your own good" with a lighter arrangement. a tad monotonous, but I will see if when i hear the final version if it changes my mind that is a very odd decision to use as a last track.
    Me too. I listened to You are the one. Only 24 hours or so to wait for the whole album so...

E-Mail Vampire

#58 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

Love the sound of the clips. The only track that seems out of place is Wedding In Berlin. It should have been left as a gift for the friend and not considered as part of an album campaign.

Lleonard Pler

#59 Post by Lleonard Pler »

Tempting, but so close to the release date... I'll wait until tonight at 12.01am when it pops up on Spotify.

Based on the Wedding in Berlin reception, I might replace it with Decide (strongest track from this era so far). Bless the customized playlists.

Effen Vida

#60 Post by Effen Vida »

Against all the odds, Wedding in Berlin has grown on me a fair bit. Dare I say... I actually enjoy it now.
    I played the album through twice on headphones late last night and I didn't even consider skipping WIB. It's daft and fun.

Looking forward to finally being able to talk to you all about the entire album!