Dreamland (Full Intention Classic Remix) ?!!

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Greendrake

Re: Dreamland (Full Intention Classic Remix) ?!!

#31 Post by Greendrake »

Luke Colorado wrote:
Sun 23 Feb 2020, 3:19 am
Why would PSB mention them if they can’t be bought? They’re for club play. This is been happening since Electric.
Well, not official then. "Semi-official" maybe since they are produced from stems by professionals.

I think there has been a consensus that "official" means that PSB have been involved (asked for the remixes to be made, listened to them, picked some up for release in some way).

If their management simply made the stems available to professionals, and some of them endeavoured to produce something — that alone does not make the remix official, no matter how reputable the remixers are. Especially if PSB themselves may know nothing about these remixes.

Sage

#32 Post by Sage »

I count them as being official.

I suspect the remixes are all created together and go through a selection process for which will be commercially available.
Whether a remix is chosen for the single release is fairly arbitrary, in my opinion.

For instance with The Pop Kids and Say It To Me, there are remixes by Offer Nissim both unreleased and released.
Is the 'Offer Nissim Drama Mix' official, but the 'Offer Nissim Drama Radio Mix' and 'Offer Nissim Drama Tribe Mix' only semi-official? They were made at the same time and come from the same place.

Luke Colorado

#33 Post by Luke Colorado »

Sage is right. I don’t know what the hell the hair-splitting is for. But if helps you sleep at night, Drake, do what ya gotta do.
I sincerely *love* Disco 2 and listen to it straight through regularly.

Greendrake

#34 Post by Greendrake »

Sage wrote:
Sun 23 Feb 2020, 4:21 am
For instance with The Pop Kids and Say It To Me, there are remixes by Offer Nissim both unreleased and released.
Is the 'Offer Nissim Drama Mix' official, but the 'Offer Nissim Drama Radio Mix' and 'Offer Nissim Drama Tribe Mix' only semi-official? They were made at the same time and come from the same place.
I agree that where some mixes out of a bunch produced at the same time and place were officially released, the whole bunch can be called official.

But in this case, AFAIK, none of Full Intention mixes of Dreamland were officially released, so not the same story as with Offer Nissim mixes of The Pop kids.

The archivist in me doesn't sleep very well if it knows that some producers' mixes in the archive were labeled official whereas PSB may not even know that those producers ever remixed them.

Disco.

#35 Post by Disco. »

Citrosonic promotions , is he PSB ‘s dance promotion company in the U.S, they are paid by the boys to promote them in U.S clubs/dance radio stations. And you can find snippets of the U.S remixes of Dreamland on their site, so in that sense the remixes are official.

Disco.

#36 Post by Disco. »

These mixes were made for the U.S market, like many PSB mixes before them.

Disco.

#37 Post by Disco. »

These mixes were made for the U.S market, like many PSB mixes before them.

Synthrobot

#38 Post by Synthrobot »

It is general practise for PSB to send the stems out to a number of remixers and select the remixes they prefer. This inevitably means completed remixes exist that will never be released (officially), as they were put in PSB’s dumper box. Not saying this is the case with the Full Intention mixes though.

Disco.

#39 Post by Disco. »

These mixes were distributed to U.S Club DJs and dance radio stations along with the Casy Alva remixes and Lynn Wood remix.

canveyboy

#40 Post by canveyboy »

I miss the days of U.S only official remixes where we all had to buy import 12” singles to get hold of the remixes - I’m thinking the Shep mixes of What have I done to deserve this?, Always on my mind & Left to my own devices and of course the PSB very own exclusive remixes of Its A Sin! Loved those days of waiting for the post man to deliver from Esprit Mail Order 😂
Its taken me all of my life to find you

ype

#41 Post by ype »

So status aside, what does everyone think about the remixex? :-)

canveyboy

#42 Post by canveyboy »

ype wrote:
Sun 23 Feb 2020, 10:43 am
So status aside, what does everyone think about the remixex? :-)
Not as good as the commercially released remixes. They all feel a bit weak tbh! I think the best remixes were released!
Its taken me all of my life to find you

raggatwin

#43 Post by raggatwin »

The DJ LW mix started off well..thought ot was gonna be mid 90s speed garage but then descended into EDM bolloxs by numbers...
Hello my name is Neil Tennant and I'm Chris Lowe and we're of the Pet Shop Boys.

Sage

#44 Post by Sage »

Anyone else notice the dates in the meta data.
Thin White Duke mixes are dated 13/09/19, and were coded with SADiE.
Full Intentions 05/12/19 Logic Pro X.
Casey Alva mixes, 11/12/19, Pro Tools.
DJLW 29/12/19 Logic Pro X.

Vaguely interesting.

What does everyone make of the remixes?
I quite like the DJLW and Full Intentions mixes.
Though I agree with raggatwin, the DJLW mix goes a bit hard on the EDM vibe. Not fitting in with how PSB music should be.

Disco.

#45 Post by Disco. »

They are quite good, but the best ones were released commercially.