What's your opinion about Agenda?

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
the8thark

What's your opinion about Agenda?

#1 Post by the8thark » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 6:46 am

Do you like Agenda? Or do you hate it? What's your opinion about the EP?
Do you like that the CD version was exclusive to Annually?
Do you feel the EP was appropriately titled? (you know what I mean)

I do think some more discussion about this EP would be a good thing as it's a very unique EP, to say the least.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

leesmapman

Re: What's your opinion about Agenda?

#2 Post by leesmapman » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 7:06 am

I love it. It's witty, funny (they wanted to call it Satire at one point), has some killer tracks.

The name Agenda is very apropriate for these songs.

I understand they made a seperate relase for it, since it's a-typically PSB at their least subtle.

Last edited by leesmapman on Fri 03 Jan 2020, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

glennjridge

#3 Post by glennjridge » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 7:12 am

I think it was amazing. everything about it, I find that "social media" is now an all time fav, a main album level style track...and I even loved "Give stupidity a chance" , forgotten child and what are we gonna do about the rich.

and second I LOVED that it was essentially a surprise release. no irritating release date months into the future, bang, it was just there one morning. and most people just hit the BUY button. as it is now, people get so impatient and they scrounge for new albums out of desperation and curiosity and in alot of cases they find it and download illegally and I suspect some dont get around to paying for it (I dont mean people here)whereas if it was readily available people scoop it up immediately.

retrofuturist

#4 Post by retrofuturist » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 7:33 am

Greetings,
the8thark wrote:
Fri 03 Jan 2020, 6:46 am
What I don't like:

- It showcases Neil's Guardian-influenced elitism (which I suspect is not going to hold up well over time)
- For the most part the lyrics and music aren't all that flash

What I do like:

- Its existence successfully kept any overtly political songs off Hotspot
- On Social Media and The Forgotten Child are decent enough stand-alone songs (when kept away from the other cringy two, which are just too much)
- I like that they didn't include Decide, and that they saved it for an Election Day release.
the8thark wrote:
I don't mind, except that the Digital Stores delivery and returns processes have some God awful "standard processes" which could leave someone who Pre-Ordered it without a copy. Too much luck and chance involved for my liking.
the8thark wrote:
It's a decent title, although because it's not very deep it captures the Narrative more than the Agenda which lies underneath it. So Agenda is a better title than Narrative, and more subversive, but Narrative would have been more accurate. Satire would be too obvious, so I am glad they didn't go with that.
the8thark wrote:
I do think some more discussion about this EP would be a good thing as it's a very unique EP, to say the least.
You're not wrong there, and after finding myself liking and enjoying Hotspot for its uniqueness, I'm a bit less against it than I was... even though it's still obviously not to my taste.

Retro. :)
Last edited by retrofuturist on Fri 03 Jan 2020, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andie

#5 Post by Andie » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:04 am

I thought the Agenda EP was great! Nothing I hated about it.
I was happy to have it exclusively with Annually, which I would've ordered anyway.
I thought the title was really good. It seemed appropriate.

I enjoyed the videos that went with it. On social media was brilliant, loved that!!!
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

Sage

#6 Post by Sage » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:21 am

Hate it. Going to pretend it doesn't exist.
It was nice how it created a buzz and came out of nowhere, and songs like The Forgotten Child aren't awful but when you consider the shallow political arguments being made in the lyrics the songs lose merit.
On Social Media isn't bad either. I like to imagine the lyrics are unironic. It's a bit throwaway though.
the8thark wrote:
We've discussed it at length in the original thread.

I think the best thing to come out of Agenda is the prospect of further EPs coming out.

How about the merch. They actually made merchandise for it including a parody Make America Great Again hat.
I remember most fans were glad they used the EP as an outlet for political nonsense, and I can agree with that even though Dreamland is politically inspired.

I think if they make a CD available with Annually it should be exclusive. We already had the songs in CD quality so the release doesn't have much value to me. I like that they can release CDs in a small and limited way actually. They should do this more, produce rare limited run EPs through the site when they want to be low key.

Nicholas

#7 Post by Nicholas » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:37 am

Love it and agree with the politics of it.

When people refer to the lyrical content as ‘political nonsense’ or similar, do they feel the same way about tracks like Opportunities, Shopping etc?

Old Soak

#8 Post by Old Soak » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:20 pm

I like it a lot. I think On social media is one of the cleverest, most acerbic lyrics they've written and the video is priceless. The forgotten child is a lovely, mystical song that fits right in with Into thin air and Invisible. Give stupidity a chance and What are we going to do about the rich are lesser works, probably because the lyrics are unusually right to the point rather than giving the normal opportunity to dig for hidden meanings, but I certainly don't dislike them. If it wasn't for the EP format these would be b-sides. I can't help thinking What are we going to do about the rich would sound great in a music hall style, the sort of thing that used to pop up on 'The Good Old Days' with an added "Whoops, how's your father" thrown in for good measure - it has that good old fashioned sing-along vibe about it.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

Eleven

#9 Post by Eleven » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:30 pm

You better like it because I think Tim Powell is the next Stephen Hague for PSB.
It sounds VERY everywhere, I also think this was like a test and the next album after Hotspot will be very much like Very/Yes kind of. More pop less house dance.

jules

#10 Post by jules » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:32 pm

Very good mini album, with catchy chorus and great lyrics.

Bjossi

#11 Post by Bjossi » Fri 03 Jan 2020, 9:42 pm

I find myself often going out of my way to play tracks from Agenda, mainly Stupidity or Forgotten child. I like it very much overall, and how "boomy" it is - it's a joy to listen to it with good punchy headphones or speakers.

Dog

#12 Post by Dog » Sun 05 Jan 2020, 12:05 am

I love it. It makes for great listening alongside the other Hotspot era tracks we’ve had so far - here’s my playlist which is making for a fine substitute ahead of the album:

1. Dreamland
2. Monkey business
3. On social media
4. What are we going to do about the rich?
5. Burning the heather
6. Decide
7. An open mind
8. No boundaries
9. Give stupidity a chance
10. The forgotten child

In fact I’d have been quite happy with this as an album release.
Woof.

bongsteve

#13 Post by bongsteve » Sun 05 Jan 2020, 3:43 am

Do you like Agenda? 50/50. Two goods songs (Where is the child/Social Media) and two not so good
o you like that the CD version was exclusive to Annually? No issues with that at all.
Do you feel the EP was appropriately titled? (you know what I mean) Absolutely

Marie loves PSB

#14 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sun 05 Jan 2020, 1:23 pm

the8thark wrote:

I only like the track "Social Media". I like the video to it as well. They did that well. As did the Dreamland video.

I had to buy Annually just to buy that track. - Not really impressed to be honest to spend around £20 for it and the print is so small in the Annually book that I have had to give up reading it. Waste of time for me to be honest.

It was appropriately titled I think. :)

Bjossi

#15 Post by Bjossi » Sun 05 Jan 2020, 3:08 pm

Marie loves PSB wrote:
Sun 05 Jan 2020, 1:23 pm
I had to buy Annually just to buy that track. - Not really impressed to be honest to spend around £20 for it and the print is so small in the Annually book that I have had to give up reading it. Waste of time for me to be honest.
I didn't bother with Annually and just bought Agenda through Juno Download. I've decided to stop bothering with CDs in general, actually, unless there is a special occasion or downloads|streaming is not available.