Hotspot era design

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Gabby

Re: Hotspot era design

#16 Post by Gabby »

Future Lover wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019, 11:48 pm
Nicholas wrote:
Thu 12 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm
Pre-ordered the deluxe CD today. The signed print looks great but the yellow text on the special edition CD sleeve does look sort of terrible compared to the lovely white version.
Hoping for a slightly golden effect.
Yeah not a fan of the yellow font either so hope it's somewhat shiny. I hoped the vinyl sleeve might have a shiny effect to it too. Would make the sleeve design pop I reckon.

Nicholas

#17 Post by Nicholas »

Oh yeah, golden text might be nice.

Eleven

#18 Post by Eleven »

Im surprised they didnt follow the Electric Super artwork direction, not a fan of those covers and neither of Hotspot. In fact no cover since Behaviour I will put in the wall

Nicholas

#19 Post by Nicholas »

Eleven wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019, 2:33 pm
Im surprised they didnt follow the Electric Super artwork direction, not a fan of those covers and neither of Hotspot. In fact no cover since Behaviour I will put in the wall
LOVE the covers now. Love the idea of the typography being a footnote or a ‘photo caption’, in effect. Love the images doing the talking and setting the mood. Love the abstraction. All gorgeous.

Was ENORMOUSLY tempted by the BtH 7” in Fopp just now on the strength of its beautifulness but I restrained myself.
Last edited by Nicholas on Fri 13 Dec 2019, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tottenhammattspurs

#20 Post by tottenhammattspurs »

The whole thing looks like the "Concrete" sleeve and CD, photocopied whilst someone moved it...
is is and isnt isnt

Nicholas

#21 Post by Nicholas »

tottenhammattspurs wrote:
Fri 13 Dec 2019, 5:20 pm
The whole thing looks like the "Concrete" sleeve and CD, photocopied whilst someone moved it...
Beautiful abstract brutalist bliss.

Nicholas

#22 Post by Nicholas »

It looks sort of reflective in the image of the physical LP that Neil posted on Instagram earlier. Although that could just be the finish on the sleeve. ENTICING. Either way, it looks fantastic in that photo. Which I’ve not posted here.

Drunk Swede

#23 Post by Drunk Swede »

I think maybe the first idea was to design this era with Berlin references, like the sleeve for “Dreamland”, hence Hotspot being their “Berlin album”. And maybe they later thought that this idea didn’t work that great, so they’ve put the “Berlin imagery” on inner sleeves - being like the core - and went for images they’ve taken themselves and blurred them to tie it all in on front covers.

With the designs we’ve seen so far, I think Hotspot and BtH comes together really well, while Moneky could have been even more blurry to tie in better. And Dreamland being the black sheep of them all, with the Berlin stuff up front and the big title. I really don’t like that cover.

Love the placement of text in the bottom right corner!
Programmed in the system

Drunk Swede

#24 Post by Drunk Swede »

I think maybe the first idea was to design this era with Berlin references, like the sleeve for “Dreamland”, hence Hotspot being their “Berlin album”. And maybe they later thought that this idea didn’t work that great, so they’ve put the “Berlin imagery” on inner sleeves - being like the core - and went for images they’ve taken themselves and blurred them to tie it all in on front covers.

With the designs we’ve seen so far, I think Hotspot and BtH comes together really well, while Moneky could have been even more blurry to tie in better. And Dreamland being the black sheep of them all, with the Berlin stuff up front and the big title. I really don’t like that cover.

Love the placement of text in the bottom right corner!
Programmed in the system

Nicholas

#25 Post by Nicholas »

I do wish Monkey Business was a bit more blurrily abstract like Hotspot and BtH. Dreamland still feels appropriate because of the strong Berlin aesthetic and it being a pre-campaign aperitif rather than part of the album run-up. Really love the subdued hues they’re using on the reverse as well. Very marked contrast with the Super colours.

E-Mail Vampire

#26 Post by E-Mail Vampire »

I’m still not a fan of the Hotspot cover, yet I like Monkey Business’ cover.

I asked a friend who is good with artwork/graphic design to make covers for Burning The Heather/Hotspot/Monkey Business that used Berlin U-Bahn signs that kept in with the Dreamland theme as my OCD can’t cope with the artwork theme switch haha.

canveyboy

#27 Post by canveyboy »

Nice new photo being used by HMV - not seen this one yet but apologies if it’s been posted already!
Attachments
AE91D923-B057-4148-B9AC-BDA6AE4F2FF7.jpeg
AE91D923-B057-4148-B9AC-BDA6AE4F2FF7.jpeg (199.06 KiB) Viewed 387 times
Its taken me all of my life to find you

ArtHist

#28 Post by ArtHist »

canveyboy wrote:
Sat 11 Jan 2020, 1:02 am
Nice new photo being used by HMV - not seen this one yet but apologies if it’s been posted already!
Chris looks positively.....animated...Beats standing there with his arms by his sides, or in his pockets.

y3potential

#29 Post by y3potential »

Does anyone know the name of the font that is being used for the Hotspot era artwork and is it available to download anywhere..?
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Nicholas

#30 Post by Nicholas »

y3potential wrote:
Sat 11 Jan 2020, 1:52 am
Does anyone know the name of the font that is being used for the Hotspot era artwork and is it available to download anywhere..?
It’s part of the DIN typeface. Can’t remember if it was a standard on my Mac or if I picked up my version from work, but shouldn’t be too difficult to find a version online. I’ll double-check the weight of the font tomorrow.