Having played almost nothing but since release here are my ‘hot spots’ on each of the Hotspot tracks .... loving this album!
- lots of interesting bits throughout but the talking parts about going ‘respectable with a wife’ and ‘living in a rented flat’. My, it’s so very Pet Shop Boys!
You are the one
- the phrasing and delivery of the ‘tingle tangle’ section that starts with ‘It’s like a drug, it’s like a dream’ ... really makes this one soar
- ‘A blues would be in B flat / pain defining wisdom / but the soul is in the high hat / programmed in the system’ no idea what he’s on about but it sounds very good to me !
- the tinkling melody and the ‘Dreamland is a free land’ refrain as sung by Neil (obviously!)
Hoping for a miracle
- ALL of it! But being selective ... this bit ‘A meadow in Oxford where you sat in the sun / Those were the days you had just begun / firing verbal shots / like a Tommy Gun’
I don’t wanna
- the bassline right after ‘What’s the deal? / A guy so shy he doesn’t feel / that he has any sex appeal’. I can hear this flowing straight into ‘In the night’ - mashup required!
- ‘There are diamonds in the sky that shine for me’
Only the dark
- tough one as my least favourite ballad on the album but I’ll say the opening sequence before Neil starts singing
Burning the heather
- all the synth sax parts and the bit when Neil sings ‘otherwise it’s just hype you hope’
Wedding in Berlin
- at 2.54 - the industrial/engine/winding synth followed by the beat drop. This bit reminds me of the fantastic part in the extended Left to my own devices mix with the propeller blades ... so good in fact that I’m going to cue it up for a listen right now!
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional