Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
leesmapman

Re: The Problems With Hotspot

#571 Post by leesmapman » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 9:31 pm

alig wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:49 pm
Putting "you are the one" as second track right after "Will O" feels misplaced. Just when the album gets going, they put the brakes on.
It could also be a statement by the band. As in "ok, we've done the big dance thing we've done on the previous two albums, now it's time to do something completely different"

Disco.

#572 Post by Disco. » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 9:48 pm

stopthecar wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:32 pm
Markpro wrote:
Disco. wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:40 am
The Way it used to be a ballad ? Image
Ballad: (in popular music) a slow love song

I would call it a ballad...i would also call it perfection :D
The Way it used to be...... Slow?
:lol:

glennjridge

#573 Post by glennjridge » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 11:07 pm

Hotspot being the berlin album...I would have thought that a dark techno album would have been what was inspired by berlin quite frankly.
the simpsons even had an episode where they riffed on the notion germans love techno. actually subtracting lyrical references of a few german streets and trains, I thought musically this album was about as german sounding as Bilingual or Nightlife

Paul

#574 Post by Paul » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 11:19 pm

I think it's a fantastic album and certainly up there with please and actually.
Only the dark is brilliant, it's been on repeat since I got the album. The only minus point is Wedding in Berlin. That should have been a b side at most and I'd have closed the album with an open mind.

CroMagnon

#575 Post by CroMagnon » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 12:08 am

After many, many listens to the album, i think there’s only one major problem with it ... Dreamland.

Neil’s voice sounds wonderful throughout the album, except on Dreamland, where his vocals are notably weaker and have a strange, off-colour, strident quality. I don’t like Olly’s voice in general, so this doesn’t help. Musically Dreamland also feels like a holdover from Super, and out of place on Hotspot.

I’m finding myself skipping it regularly ... further encouraged by wanting to hear the magnificent Hoping for a miracle as the following track.
Love comes quickly, but is a catastrophe and a bourgeois construct etc.

glennjridge

#576 Post by glennjridge » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:19 am

me also. its that freakin olly dude. if his voice didnt grate on my nerves enough, SEEING the dude walk on stage at that live show, sheesh

boyjohn

#577 Post by boyjohn » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:29 am

glennjridge wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:19 am
me also. its that freakin olly dude. if his voice didnt grate on my nerves enough, SEEING the dude walk on stage at that live show, sheesh
that was amazing wasn't it, he was so hot
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Bjossi

#578 Post by Bjossi » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:46 am

I definitely don't rate Please - Very as highly as many of you do. I quite like Introspective and Please overall, Actually is a mixed bag, Behaviour is ok when I'm in the mood for it (I do like Being boring, Seriously and So hard and a lot of the B-sides and bonus stuff though), and Very I find rather weak (I do like Theatre, Queen and Go west, but many of the other tracks just fatigue me with the busy sound). I should say I did hear all of them for the first time in 2010 (after Yes) so I was very late to the party.

the8thark

#579 Post by the8thark » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:20 am

Bjossi wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:46 am
I definitely don't rate Please - Very as highly as many of you do. I quite like Introspective and Please overall, Actually is a mixed bag, Behaviour is ok when I'm in the mood for it (I do like Being boring, Seriously and So hard and a lot of the B-sides and bonus stuff though), and Very I find rather weak (I do like Theatre, Queen and Go west, but many of the other tracks just fatigue me with the busy sound). I should say I did hear all of them for the first time in 2010 (after Yes) so I was very late to the party.
Yes was the first PSB album I heard also. Did You See me Coming got me hooked into the PSB into 2009. We have that similarity. However the other albums we like are quite different. With Very, I like 7/12 of the tracks, however I do not like Queen or Theatre.

My point? We all like different PSB songs and albums more or less than others. Doesn't make any of us wrong, just makes us have different opinions. Something for everyone.
Dog wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 9:19 pm
It reinforces the Berlin theme and the analogue sound, just like Single following Discoteca establishes Bilingual’s main themes.
I agree with you about the Berlin sound. But Single? To me Single and Discoteca feel like one track just cut in two or two very very similar tracks. If there was an Introspective version 2, the whole 8-ish minute Discoteca/Single as a single track would work amazingly. To me 5-7 tracks like this would be amazing.
stopthecar wrote:
Compared to the usual PSB song it is, but compared to the rest of Yes, it's not. To me the track si not a ballad based on it's very unique lyrics. It's one of the only PSB songs to be written this way.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

alig

#580 Post by alig » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 6:27 am

glennjridge wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 11:07 pm
Hotspot being the berlin album...I would have thought that a dark techno album would have been what was inspired by berlin quite frankly.
the simpsons even had an episode where they riffed on the notion germans love techno. actually subtracting lyrical references of a few german streets and trains, I thought musically this album was about as german sounding as Bilingual or Nightlife
Wedding in Berlin is proper techno.
"John 3:16."

Dog

#581 Post by Dog » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 7:51 am

the8thark wrote:
Bjossi wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:46 am
Yes was the first PSB album I heard also. Did You See me Coming got me hooked into the PSB into 2009. We have that similarity. However the other albums we like are quite different. With Very, I like 7/12 of the tracks, however I do not like Queen or Theatre.

My point? We all like different PSB songs and albums more or less than others. Doesn't make any of us wrong, just makes us have different opinions. Something for everyone.
Dog wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 9:19 pm
It reinforces the Berlin theme and the analogue sound, just like Single following Discoteca establishes Bilingual’s main themes.
I agree with you about the Berlin sound. But Single? To me Single and Discoteca feel like one track just cut in two or two very very similar tracks. If there was an Introspective version 2, the whole 8-ish minute Discoteca/Single as a single track would work amazingly. To me 5-7 tracks like this would be amazing.
stopthecar wrote:
Compared to the usual PSB song it is, but compared to the rest of Yes, it's not. To me the track si not a ballad based on it's very unique lyrics. It's one of the only PSB songs to be written this way.
My point re Discoteca and Single is that the two songs together help establish musical and lyrical themes of the album in a way that say Before and Se a vida e wouldn’t. The first two Hotspot tracks serve a similar purpose.
Woof.

Hillbilly

#582 Post by Hillbilly » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 8:46 am

joe stalin wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm
I’m trying to like the album. I gave it a 4/10 and I’ve probably upped that to a 6/10. Par with super, below electric

Not a patch on please, actually, introspective, behaviour, very or even Yes.

Probably above nightlife and release.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this

I prefer legacy to wedding in Berlin.
I'd say far below both Electric and Super, and even below Release (and Elysium)! Not sure about Nightlife, which at least until now has been my least favourite PSB album. Of course not a patch on any other album.

Why wouldn't you prefer "Legacy"? It is a well-crafted composition with complex and interesting lyrics, while "Wedding in Berlin" neither has good lyrics or a tune.

E-Mail Vampire

#583 Post by E-Mail Vampire » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:48 pm

If we are ranking Hotspot, for me it is the worst of the 3 Stuart Price albums.
One first listen I thought it was the worst album that they have made but with a few listens I would say it is better than Please, Introspective and a Elysium at least.

Tenlow

#584 Post by Tenlow » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:16 pm

E-Mail Vampire wrote:
Tue 28 Jan 2020, 1:48 pm
If we are ranking Hotspot, for me it is the worst of the 3 Stuart Price albums.
One first listen I thought it was the worst album that they have made but with a few listens I would say it is better than Please, Introspective and a Elysium at least.
The difference in taste is quite astonishing, really. I still can't believe that some people would rank Please AND Introspective as two of their worst albums. Amazing.
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

Future Lover

#585 Post by Future Lover » Tue 28 Jan 2020, 2:23 pm

Yeah, definitely in my Top 5, those two. If not #1 from time to time. You know what's REALLY overrated? Actually! It's your basic mum and dad's pick as a Pet Shop Boys album, because of the cover, I suppose? And the Imperial era? But hardly their best.