Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
markrobertnolan

Re: The Problems With Hotspot

#556 Post by markrobertnolan » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 11:36 am

It is not at all cohesive. It is a mess. It’s a tingle tangle chittering and chattering spluttering and splattering mess, especially after the expertly executed Electric and Super. It’s not so much Expertly produced but more polishing a glittery you know what. Anybody seeking to justify Wedding in Berlin wins sycophant of the year.

le petit corbusier

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#557 Post by le petit corbusier » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:29 pm

I didn't want to open a new thread for this. Would anybody share the eq on their phones? I'm always unsure whether I'm listening to my music correctly lol

This is the equaliser on my Google play music player on my Android phone. That's what I use to listen to music along with my Sennheiser 4.40 bt headphones.

Refuerzo de graves means bass boost and sonido envolvente means surround.

Look left, then right
And run for your life

Sandy Shaw

#558 Post by Sandy Shaw » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:37 pm

le petit corbusier wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:29 pm
I didn't want to open a new thread for this. Would anybody share the eq on their phones? I'm always unsure whether I'm listening to my music correctly lol

This is the equaliser on my Google play music player on my Android phone. That's what I use to listen to music along with my Sennheiser 4.40 bt headphones.
I can't do that as don't have anything on my phone as sophisticated as that!
However I have been thinking about how we all have our own preferences for equalisation if you like. I had some weird setting on my stereo at home which had almost completely supressed the treble so last night I did adjust treble and bass before giving my Hotspot CD another spin! Ideally I'd listen to all PSB at top volume in Tate tanks as some of us were lucky enough to do with It's a sin!
What's for supper?

le petit corbusier

#559 Post by le petit corbusier » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:47 pm

Sandy Shaw wrote:

Ideally I'd listen to all PSB at top volume in Tate tanks as some of us were lucky enough to do with It's a sin!
I wish I could had experienced that!
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Gabby

#560 Post by Gabby » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:51 pm

I think my biggest negative reaction to Hotspot is the seeming disconnect between Happy People and Wedding in Berlin. Clearly they were intended to segue into each other at some point.

So if not, why not, and why not change the ending of Happy People so it's not so darn obvious?

Other negatives, as mentioned the fade out on Monkey Business is criminal, and as someone else mentioned on I Dont Wanna the final verse maybe would have been more impactful with some word play showing the person DID WANNA rather than repeat the I Dont wanna.

Does anyone else think that Neil is taking on the persona of the person he sings about in WillOtheWisp in Monkey Business? They sound like the same person. 😁

These are honestly minor quibbles though. This album is very strong and definitely has the same DNA as Behaviour.

Tenlow

#561 Post by Tenlow » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm

@le petit corbusier:

Music doesn't have to be EQ'd in order to be listened to "correctly". The artist usually creates the sound as intended for you.

That being said, an equalizer can definitely make sense depending on the gear you use (e.g. to tame down bass heavy headphones or vice versa). But that is highly dependant on what phone you use, what headphones you use, your personal preferences etc.) There is no such thing as a perfect setting.

For an "audiophile" the best setting (in theory)would be a neutral headphone and no EQ whatsoever, so there you go ;)
Firing verbal shots like a tommy gun

le petit corbusier

#562 Post by le petit corbusier » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 1:56 pm

Tenlow wrote:Music doesn't have to be EQ'd in order to be listened to "correctly". The artist usually creates the sound as intended for you.

That being said, an equalizer can definitely make sense depending on the gear you use (e.g. to tame down bass heavy headphones or vice versa). But that is highly dependant on what phone you use, what headphones you use, your personal preferences etc.) There is no such thing as a perfect setting.

For an "audiophile" the best setting (in theory)would be a neutral headphone and no EQ whatsoever, so there you go ;)
Oh, thank you for the explanation, Tenlow. I find the music flat if I don't fiddle with the eq. So, basically, what I do with the eq is a monstrosity!
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Enfant Terrible

#563 Post by Enfant Terrible » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 2:01 pm

It's all down to personal taste really. I like the idea of hearing the music as close to what the artist intended as possible. Obviously, our own playback equipment plays a big part in that, so who knows how close you can really get.
However, I recently had a hearing test, which showed some small loss in the higher frequencies. I then looked at my results, and wherever there was a loss (negative) on the curve of frequencies, I turned that into a gain (positive) on the graphic eq that I have. The difference was astonishing - everything sounded so crystal clear. If anyone else has had a test recently and tries it out, I think you'd be amazed at what you hear. It's the aural equivalent to putting on glasses after visiting the optician.

chrissyboy

#564 Post by chrissyboy » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 2:30 pm

So... for me, Hotspot is a really strong album. Their strongest set of songs since Yes. I wasn’t keen on Monkey Business initially but it has grown on me massively, especially since the video was released. Two complaints - some of the vocals sound a bit muddy/processed, presumably a deliberate choice. And Wedding in Berlin. What on Earth possessed them to put this track in the album? What a steaming turd, even worse than Happiness, Pazzo and Hold On. It’s coming straight off my playlist, probably to be replaced by The Forgotten Child.

But otherwise, great stuff.

le petit corbusier

#565 Post by le petit corbusier » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 3:28 pm

Enfant Terrible wrote:

It's all down to personal taste really. I like the idea of hearing the music as close to what the artist intended as possible. Obviously, our own playback equipment plays a big part in that, so who knows how close you can really get.
However, I recently had a hearing test, which showed some small loss in the higher frequencies. I then looked at my results, and wherever there was a loss (negative) on the curve of frequencies, I turned that into a gain (positive) on the graphic eq that I have. The difference was astonishing - everything sounded so crystal clear. If anyone else has had a test recently and tries it out, I think you'd be amazed at what you hear. It's the aural equivalent to putting on glasses after visiting the optician.
I had never thought about that! But I understand. 3 years ago I started using glasses and I couldn't stop laughing at the sudden level of detail and depth of field I was now able to achieve when I stepped out of the doctor's office. I was overwhelmed. I might test my ears!
Look left, then right
And run for your life

Paninaro2020

#566 Post by Paninaro2020 » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 3:42 pm

Markpro wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:04 am
erm...have you heard "Winner"
Yes Winner is miles better than Dreamland! YOU'RE A WINNER! :dance:
Test The Limits Of Your Inhibition

Markpro

#567 Post by Markpro » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:22 pm

Disco. wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:40 am
The Way it used to be a ballad ? 😎
Ballad: (in popular music) a slow love song

I would call it a ballad...i would also call it perfection :D
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

stopthecar

#568 Post by stopthecar » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 7:32 pm

Markpro wrote:
Disco. wrote:
Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:40 am
The Way it used to be a ballad ? Image
Ballad: (in popular music) a slow love song

I would call it a ballad...i would also call it perfection :D
The Way it used to be...... Slow?

alig

#569 Post by alig » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 8:49 pm

Putting "you are the one" as second track right after "Will O" feels misplaced. Just when the album gets going, they put the brakes on.
"John 3:16."

Dog

#570 Post by Dog » Mon 27 Jan 2020, 9:19 pm

alig wrote:Putting "you are the one" as second track right after "Will O" feels misplaced. Just when the album gets going, they put the brakes on.
It reinforces the Berlin theme and the analogue sound, just like Single following Discoteca establishes Bilingual’s main themes.
Woof.