Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Remark

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#526 Post by Remark » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 10:59 am

the8thark wrote:
Sun 26 Jan 2020, 10:40 am
Do we want more Releases (as in Release clones) from the PSB or should they just retire?
I'd take Release clones for the remainder of their years before retirement!

Remark

#527 Post by Remark » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 11:05 am

Markpro wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 4:05 pm
Thanks Remark, now i don't have to write my review as you have described 99% of the way i feel regarding all the tracks on Hotspot, are you planning on any mixes yet...i'm sure there must be a Will-O-The-Wisp (Remark Extended Mix) simmering away.
Thanks so much! So glad our Hotspot feelings and response are aligned :D As for the remixes, I definitely have some tracks pegged for a Remark+PSB Encomium III release...and yes I'm drooling over the thought of a Will-o-the-wisp remix. Can't wait to hear the Full Intention mix of Dreamland as well as the Monkey Business mixes...

(And for all you Petheads, feel free to enjoy my 3+ hour DJ tribute mixes Encomium I and Encomium II in the interim...) :dance:

Remark

#528 Post by Remark » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 11:10 am

jamie1978 wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 6:21 pm
That moment on Will-o-the-wisp where the analogue synths filter sweep upward in the intro and then the kick drum comes in is just thrilling. Pure magic.

It's moments like that when you realise what a great match Stuart Price is with the PSB's. I'd be very happy if they never worked with another producer again - they work so well together.
Yes I could get into this. Had Hotspot sounded similar to Electric or Super in terms of production and theme/vibe (which I would have have loved), I think I would be ready for a change from Stuart Price. But given Hotspot is a different beast all together — in an incredible way — I too think that Stuart brings out the best of PSB. I prefer the sonic nature of Hotspot over Elysium by far. And in thinking about Hotspot's similarities to Release, again I feel Hotspot hits the spot more so.

In my opinion, Stuart could keep producing them if the output continued to be of this quality and varied.

Marie loves PSB

Re: The Problems With Hotspot

#529 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm

Paninaro2020 wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 3:08 pm
Please note this in this is my personal opinion.

Is anyone else really disappointed with this album? I know I am, I think some serious mistakes were made.
I have only listened to this album once but, I know personally it will take me a long time to really get in to it. I am like it with everything. I must be ok with it else it would have been turned off ASAP lol...

But, I know how you feel Paninaro2020. :( I am still like this with a few other PSB albums - one being Release. I still only like a few tracks on it. Just cannot get in to it.

Nickname

#530 Post by Nickname » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 2:25 pm

Philby2 wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:19 pm
Paninaro2020 wrote:

For reference I think:

Hotspot 5/10
Agenda 8/10
Super 7/10
Electric 7/10
Elysium 8/10
Yes 8/10
Fundamental 7/10
Release 6/10
Nightlife 6/10
Bilingual 7/10
Very 9/10
Behaviour 10/10
Introspective 9/10
Actually 10/10
Please 10/10
10/10 - Introspective / Actually
9/10 - Behaviour / Please
8/10 - Electric / Fundamental / Hotspot (after several listens)
7/10 - Very / Yes / Bilingual / Super
6/10 - Nightlife / Elysium / Release
1 - Introspective and Actually are the best ones. It's obvious (9'5)
2 - Very is the PSB's blockbuster (9)
3 - Please (8'5)
4 - Yes (8)
5 - Fundamental (7'5)
6 - Electric/Super/Hotspot (7, more or less, being Hotspot the best one for me)
7 - Nightlife (6'5)
8 - Bilingual (6)
9 - Behaviour (5'8), I'm not a big fan of this album. I know people will hate for that but it's my point of view
10 - Elysium (5'5)
11 - Release (5)

glennjridge

#531 Post by glennjridge » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 2:36 pm

All of us are long time fans who have the ability to say we dont like something and it not be a threat to anyone.

quite frankly I am a bit surprised by how blase I am about this particular album. I also say its possible...just possible.... that alot more might feel the same way, but they are kinda stuffing that feeling down, mixed with the newness of the album which kinda glosses over imperfections in the early days.

I was about to listen to some tracks from it and I actually found myself forgetting what was on it.
thats inconceivable for me. thats how little impact songs have made an impression on me.

I remembered the singles and happy people, but I was drawing a blank.

joe stalin

#532 Post by joe stalin » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 3:05 pm

I’m trying to like the album. I gave it a 4/10 and I’ve probably upped that to a 6/10. Par with super, below electric

Not a patch on please, actually, introspective, behaviour, very or even Yes.

Probably above nightlife and release.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this

I prefer legacy to wedding in Berlin.

Disco.

#533 Post by Disco. » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 3:10 pm

Well , I think that’s it’s absolutely fantastic. Definitely in my Top 5 favorite PSB albums.

Roundhead General

#534 Post by Roundhead General » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 3:16 pm

nickname wrote:
Philby2 wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:19 pm
Paninaro2020 wrote:

For reference I think:

Hotspot 5/10
Agenda 8/10
Super 7/10
Electric 7/10
Elysium 8/10
Yes 8/10
Fundamental 7/10
Release 6/10
Nightlife 6/10
Bilingual 7/10
Very 9/10
Behaviour 10/10
Introspective 9/10
Actually 10/10
Please 10/10
10/10 - Introspective / Actually
9/10 - Behaviour / Please
8/10 - Electric / Fundamental / Hotspot (after several listens)
7/10 - Very / Yes / Bilingual / Super
6/10 - Nightlife / Elysium / Release
1 - Introspective and Actually are the best ones. It's obvious (9'5)
2 - Very is the PSB's blockbuster (9)
3 - Please (8'5)
4 - Yes (8)
5 - Fundamental (7'5)
6 - Electric/Super/Hotspot (7, more or less, being Hotspot the best one for me)
7 - Nightlife (6'5)
8 - Bilingual (6)
9 - Behaviour (5'8), I'm not a big fan of this album. I know people will hate for that but it's my point of view
10 - Elysium (5'5)
11 - Release (5)
It’s obvious by you list that you like your bangers rather than ballads. So I can see why you place hotspot mid table as it is a mix of bangers and ballads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

goughsjd

#535 Post by goughsjd » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 3:40 pm

Ii think it's absolutely brilliant Id rank in my Top 5 easily although they are forever changing
Electric /introspective/Actually / Hotspot /Fundamental
    Wolverhampton '02 / Gateshead '06 / Wolverhampton Civic '07 / Birmingham NIA '09 / London 02 '13 / Birmingham LG '14 / Glasgow Armadillo '17 / Birmingham Barclaycard Arena '17 / Garden ‘18 / Musik Bijou Edinburgh '19

Roundhead General

#536 Post by Roundhead General » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 3:50 pm

goughsjd wrote:Ii think it's absolutely brilliant Id rank in my Top 5 easily although they are forever changing
    Electric /introspective/Actually / Hotspot /Fundamental
    It’s great that 2 of their last 3 albums rank in your top 5! It shows they still have it. I would have the same top 5 other than replacing fundamental with behaviour

For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

Sandy Shaw

#537 Post by Sandy Shaw » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

Marie loves PSB wrote:
    Sun 26 Jan 2020, 1:01 pm

I have only listened to this album once but, I know personally it will take me a long time to really get in to it. I am like it with everything. I must be ok with it else it would have been turned off ASAP lol...
    I agree about talking time to ''really get into it''. For me that may involve playing it solidly for three to six months (at least once a week or every few days).
    I like absorbing all the lyrics, and sounds of an album and I know that Hotspot will bear repeated listening.

For me it'll be the CD on my stereo, and some listening on public transport with headphones to tracks downloaded onto a Kindle which I shall also use on the houseboat to Bluetooth to my DAB radio so I can blast out some tracks without the annoying the neighbours whilst pottering around the galley area!

So give this album a chance folks!
    What's for supper?

herts101

#538 Post by herts101 » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 4:47 pm

7th or 8th listen now and really enjoying it. Love the variety of it. Agree with comparisons to Actually and other more varied albums. I lovely change after the last two.

Favourite track currently Burning the Heather which I love in the extended version.

In fact all the singles sound better on here. My only problem is the fade on Monkey Business, but I have now solved this by creating my own edit with the Radio ending mixed into the end of the album version. 11 seconds longer, but so much more satisfying!!

Sandy Shaw

#539 Post by Sandy Shaw » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 4:51 pm

Dog wrote:
    Sat 25 Jan 2020, 11:13 am
    I love this bit where the album is bedding in in my brain, knowing I’ll never quite hear each track in the same way again, navigating the unfamiliar chords and changes.

The standout for me is Price's production - I really didn’t think the analogue concept would be as prevalent but it’s an absolute revelation and he has pulled a blinder. I had enjoyed Electric and Super immensely but was already looking forward to something new beyond the trilogy - well, this is it, and now they can carry on with Price until the end of days as far as I’m concerned. That warm, wuzzy, slightly out of tune analogue fuzz which washes under the album is a triumph. Boards of Canada do a similar thing but it’s great to hear it here on a pop album.

I’ve always, maybe wrongly on reflection, compartmentalised their albums into two piles, with Behaviour, Release and Elysium showcasing the melancholy side of the HappySad seesaw. Hotspot blows that idea wide open - why be one when you can be both? It doesn’t break pop down into fast or slow, it takes a third door, with their new Hansa palate instead bringing a necessary consistency. Not since Actually have ballads and bangers sat together so comfortably.

That HappySad tension also extends throughout the lyrics. The album is shot through with tales of double lives and compromises, of happy people living in a sad world or dreaming of a Dreamland or burning the heather and walking away from everything or sitting at home instead of going out - or, as in Monkey business - imagining life through the complete opposite lens.

But the main thing that’s really striking to me lyrically is the romance. It’s maybe more of a theme here than any other PSB album - it’s most obvious in You are the one and Only the dark (“For only the dark can show you the stars “ is a beautiful line) but it permeates throughout - it even ends with a bloody wedding. This isn’t a world-weary, downbeat response to the peculiarities of today. It’s one where you simply pack your bags, buy a big pad in Berlin, stuff it full of sequencers and vocoders and live out your later years cycling to the lake and eating good food with your best friend and life partner. Neil and Chris may never have been a couple but now, in their sixties, their relationship is clearly the bedrock of both of their lives and hearing them talk in interviews about their creative life together is a beautiful thing, and it’s hard not to think it’s that that shines through on Hotspot... “we’ll be together, always, forever”.

One major callout: how downright sexy is Will-o-the-wisp? What an absolutely awesome opener; that clattering urgency, the rush of Neil’s words and his multiple tones (I love the way he says “a-dored”). This could well have dropped straight into my top five all time Pet Shop Boys tracks. The whole album sounds like a new debut - it’s like the writers of Bubadubadubadum never met Stephen Hague - it’s raw and dirty and a track as exquisitely polished as An open mind wouldn’t fit here. I don’t wanna is another which could have come straight from side one of Alternative.

I think they have given us a rich album here, one which will bring decades of pleasure, and one which gives them a new seam to mine, that subtly shifts away from the lasers and the bangers and reintroduces depth without compromising on any fronts.
    So great I wanted to quote your whole review which chimes with the way my thoughts have been going about this album. By the way, the thought of Neil and Chris as an honorary unmarried platonic ''couple'' makes me cry.... (from happiness and the poignancy of their other lost loves).
    What's for supper?

Hillbilly

#540 Post by Hillbilly » Sun 26 Jan 2020, 5:32 pm

Rorie wrote:
    Sat 25 Jan 2020, 7:13 pm
    My reaction to this was very much like my initial reaction to Behaviour. Not as much banging and stomping tracks. Its not Electric, no is is Super.
    Not much banging? Well, on Behaviour there is "So hard" and that's it. On Hotspot you get at least five of them.

Paninaro2020 wrote:
    Sat 25 Jan 2020, 7:42 pm
    Behaviour is my personal favourite, I don't have a problem with ballads and slow tracks if they are sonically good!

Hotspot is S-H-O-C-K-I-N-G, Its SHOCKING! :lol:
    I totally agree with you here, because I don't like the sound of Hotspot. I'm not very keen on the production of some tracks on Behaviour either, but at least the sound quality of that album is good! Electric and Super had a somewhat lifeless, cold sound to them, but Hotspot just sounds fuzzy and messy. I am thankful this is the last album with Stuart Price, and hope they will do one more with another producer!