Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
karnsculpture

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#511 Post by karnsculpture »

In short, great album, no filler tracks have enjoyed listening to it all the way through several times. For me it works better than any album since Yes, although there are some individual tracks I like more than anything on this album on the albums in between. I think it’s got a similar mix of styles to their best - Actually, Very and Yes. Wedding in Berlin is going to be on many couples playlists in the future and may help keep the boys secure in their old age. What wedding or engagement party DJ could resist putting it on at some point? Wedding parties feature a high quotient of cheese and this is the finest quality.

Spittingcat

#512 Post by Spittingcat »

here however with these 2 ballads they stay flat and mostly unchanged from start to finish
Neil needs to channel Dusty more…
Wish they had added one or two tracks.
Don’t we all.

Cdrodkey

#513 Post by Cdrodkey »

karnsculpture wrote: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm In short, great album, no filler tracks have enjoyed listening to it all the way through several times. For me it works better than any album since Yes, although there are some individual tracks I like more than anything on this album on the albums in between. I think it’s got a similar mix of styles to their best - Actually, Very and Yes. Wedding in Berlin is going to be on many couples playlists in the future and may help keep the boys secure in their old age. What wedding or engagement party DJ could resist putting it on at some point? Wedding parties feature a high quotient of cheese and this is the finest quality.
I was thinking about this - as a clergyperson I attend a fair number of weddings and I couldn't imagine this being on wedding reception DJ lists unless there is a good remix to it. Which isn't a slight against the song but perhaps an opportunity. Maybe get Billie Trix to sing it lol.

Ghost within this house

#514 Post by Ghost within this house »

karnsculpture wrote: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:41 pm In short, great album, no filler tracks have enjoyed listening to it all the way through several times. For me it works better than any album since Yes, although there are some individual tracks I like more than anything on this album on the albums in between. I think it’s got a similar mix of styles to their best - Actually, Very and Yes. Wedding in Berlin is going to be on many couples playlists in the future and may help keep the boys secure in their old age. What wedding or engagement party DJ could resist putting it on at some point? Wedding parties feature a high quotient of cheese and this is the finest quality.
I agree with all of this.

It's kind of weird, because there really is no obvious 4th single. In fact, aside from Dreamland, there aren't any songs on here that really stand out as singles (in the old fashioned sense of a song you think might make the Top 40). Yet the songs all work brilliantly as parts of the Hotspot whole.
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Ghost within this house

#515 Post by Ghost within this house »

Actually, Monkey Business does as well...especially with *that* video....
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Roundhead General

#516 Post by Roundhead General »

Ghost within this house wrote:
I agree with all of this.

It's kind of weird, because there really is no obvious 4th single. In fact, aside from Dreamland, there aren't any songs on here that really stand out as singles (in the old fashioned sense of a song you think might make the Top 40). Yet the songs all work brilliantly as parts of the Hotspot whole.
Sometimes an album with a shortage of obvious singles works better as a cohesive whole. Take Behaviour for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

leesmapman

#517 Post by leesmapman »

alig wrote:It's also very short running 42 minutes. The second shortest album they recorded. Wish they had added one or two tracks.
Welcome to the vinyl revival. LPs can't hold as much.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

Nickname

#518 Post by Nickname »

HOTSPOT (I'm going to tell my impressions but more from a musical perspective than anthing else)

Will-o-the-Wisp (7'5): I was expecting something more of the opener from the album. We can call it, stomper. The classic PSB song I usually love and with filmic sounds!. I like it but this song is not Integral, it doesn't have such a catchy chorus and the amazing production of Trevor Horn with the orchestra and all these things. Anyway, it's good.

You are the One (6): A good ballad. An easy-going song. I like it but it reminds me a lot to a song from a Spanish group called Mecano (the most famous pop group of Spanish history) called Hawaii, Bombay. Listen to Mecano's song and you'll clearly appreciate THE SONG HAS A SIMILAR INTRO (with birds on it) and the relaxing feeling of the song is very similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XzoOK2GZF8

Happy People (8): It's obvious there is a paralelism between this song and Shanny Happy People but in a PSB way and with the elements from the late 80's. Classic acid house sound with keyboards on it. I like it, well PSB is not taking any risk with this song. One of the best songs from the album with Neil making a rap and a mixture of voices I like. You can enjoy with it a lot, it could be a single choice.

Dreamland (6'5): It reminds me a lot to the songs from people like Justin Timberlake and it has two bridges. It's an obvious single choice. Justin is not Dusty but he sings really good. It's not a song to fall in love madly but it works really good in the album.

Hoping for a Miracle (6): It has a good intro. I love the bridge, too short but good: "Hi everyone, is anybody out there?". Very melodic like the whole album.

I don't Wanna (6): I think this song it's too repetitive. This "I don't Wanna" and with this Neil's voice sounds a bit horrifing. I mean, it's not a bad song but I think they didn't work too much on it.They had two ideas and went with it the full song.

Monkey Business (8'5): A funky song from PSB is something I was dreaming for ages and it works. It looks like it has a similar structure and bassline to Thursday, a song I really like. Try to listen both together and you'll see that. The final part of it is the highlight of Hotspot and it works amazingly well in the video. Best single choice in a very long time, well done boys!,

Only in the Dark (7); Simple but I love this 80's sound and I think the chorus is frankly good. It could be a classic ballad from the 80's and even a hit from that time. Anyone can fall in love with it although you were not a PSB fan. Good bridge by the way.

Burning the Heather (6): It works fine on the album because it changes the perspective of it. More pop-rock oriented than an electro-pop song like it was a song from Release. It has a really catchy chorus, the problem here is this song starts in the same way it ends with an endessly speech from Neil Tennant. This song is more about the lyrics than the song itself. I mean, the chorus is great but it's too much of the same in a track of more than 5 minutes.

Wedding in Berling (6'5); What's this?, a joke?. Well, I like this joke. The Medelssohn March works amzingly good, what's wrong with giving a happy ending to Hotspot?, PSB is back!. Let's celebrate it!.

Rating: 6'8

Don't get me wrong, it's a quite good album. The best of it is we are probably listening the most varied album from PSB in a long time. It works really well as a whole but it's difficult to find here a big classic except Monkey Business which is really nice. The thing is PSB hasn't taken any risk, except Monkey Business (a funky song it's not very usual for them and I hope more songs in that way on the future), anyway it's not a problem for me because I love those 80's and 90's sounding tracks. But I understand some people can say "it's always more or less the same". For us, more of the same is great. PSB is not longer a vanguardist pop duo and they are a bit self-indungents on this album. The problem is I really believe if they went in another direction, I wouldn't probably like the new way.

Another thing is the poduction. I like Stuart Price productions and it gave a fresh air to PSB, taking a look at the past at the same time. Not a bad thing at all. But it sometimes sounds simple. The thing is Hotspot is multilayered and I don't know if Stuart has been working on it harder or analogic sounds work better, but the production here works better than in Eletric and Super. Anyway, it's time to move on (except for Disco 5 which I think is going to be like a new Disco, an album Stuart loves and it woldn't be a surprise if it is going to be produced by him, you know it's not a proper studio album).

One more thing and looking at the past, I miss a high profile production with an anthemic song and a big choir in a way like Go West, a pop orchestral song like Left to my own Devices or a song like being in an action movie like Suburbia. A blockbuster, PSB hasn't done since Fundamental or even further. I'd go for it, the nex time with a proper producer.

By the way, HOTSPOT is the best song from the triology in my opinion because it's varied, not instrumental song from Chris but proper songs, better production and a proper single with a good video: Monkey Business. An album for everyone but even more for PSB fans.
Last edited by Nickname on Sun 26 Jan 2020, 2:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

MikeyC

#519 Post by MikeyC »

“Only the dark” sounds like it could be from an ‘80s John Hughes movie!! And that’s a compliment! 😎

NikacP0kac

#520 Post by NikacP0kac »

Hoping For A Miracle and An Open Mind hooks have very similar instrumentation, don't they?
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

jrusher12

#521 Post by jrusher12 »

First chance today to listen to the whole album on a decent hi-fo with good quality headphones.

My first impressions were re-enforced. Simply put this is a ridiculously good album. One of their finest.

They have crafted both the beautiful with the raw dance for which they are famous. They have often reacted again previous works but this album has something for everyone. Want a stomper? Willow the Wisp. Want a bright track that could have easily been on Yes? Only the Dark. Want an Behaviour/Elysium ballad? Burning the Heather.

I could go on and on. Early 80s, Imperial phase, through Nightlife, Fundamental and later. All are referenced.

If we never got another album I’d Ben happy to end on this. I suspect we’ll get more. And on the evidence of this they’re getting (amazingly perhaps) stronger.

the8thark

Re: The Problems With Hotspot

#522 Post by the8thark »

Paninaro2020 wrote: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 3:08 pm
For reference I think:

Hotspot 5/10
Agenda 8/10
Super 7/10
Electric 7/10
Elysium 8/10
Yes 8/10
Fundamental 7/10
Release 6/10
Nightlife 6/10
Bilingual 7/10
Very 9/10
Behaviour 10/10
Introspective 9/10
Actually 10/10
Please 10/10
Here's my opinion of the albums. Of cause everyone is different of cause and likes different things more or less.
I'm scoring the albums as a whole. Which is different to the tracks individually as there are some amazing tracks of the less good PSB albums.

10/10 - Fundamental / Yes
8/10 - Very / Elysium
7/10 - Please / Nightlife / Relentless
6/10 - Release / Electric / Actually
5/10 - Behaviour / Bilingual / Super/ Hotspot
3/10 - Introspective

Some comments.

Fundamental - Integral is a bouns track in every sense of the word. The rest of the album in my opinion flows amazingley well. Sure individually some of the tracks are not the PSB's best work but as an album it's well rounded with appropriate opening and closing tracks (ILTR is the closing track). This is why even though I like the YES tracks more, Fundamental is the better overall album.
Yes - Assuming we pretend Legacy does not exist
Very - To me 7 of the tracks are amazing and the other 5 are terrible. There's nothing average on this album. The 8/10 I think is a fair score as those 7 tracks are worth it
Super - Apart from Pazzo! which is garbage, the rest of the album is just a bunch of very average tracks. Not amazing but also not garbage. Just average and very forgettable. My favourite of the lot is Burn. That's really saying something when a late album track designed to be a disco dance tune is one of the best tracks of the album.
Hotspot - To me the biggest flaw of the album are the lyrics. Way too much repetition of the same phrase in the same song and the lyrics don't have the same impact or deep meaning like most of the PSB's back catalogue

Hotspot is not an album you can listen to once or twice or 10 times and get a feel for it. The tracks need time to grow on you. So far the only tracks that have grown on me are WillOWisp,You Are The One and Drealmand. Even the lyrics of these 3 tracks are as average as the rest of the album, I am liking these 3 more than the other 7. A lot more.
CroMagnon wrote: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:17 pm
Paninaro2020 wrote: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 3:08 pm Surely Decide would of made a better finale :wall:
Decide would make a great finale to a PSB album. But it wouldn't work as the finale to THIS album.
I agree. An album more like Electric or a better version of Introspective would work. Though One Hit Wonder would work for an Introspective styled album that is actually a good album.
jules wrote: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:01 pm There's no problem with psb releasing an album. This one is great and full of different songs with a more subtle sound than on the two previous album. And it has been released yesterday, so saying already it's not good is stupid. I'm sure there's at least two or three songs you can enjoy even if you are disappointed.
I ahve to agree. I think Hotspot is not the PSB's best work. But I am sure everyone can find at least 1-2 tracks they think are alright. For me that's WillOWisp, You Are the One and Dreamland. Sure all 3 tracks are far from the PSB's best work, but they are listenable, catchy and more than worth their spot on people's PSB's songlists.
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

jasonjohn

Re: The Problems With Hotspot

#523 Post by jasonjohn »

Decide was decided not to be album or single material before it was even written

Why? Minority of rabid fans who got toxic at them for having the mildest of opinions on anything. No way they didn’t notice.

the8thark

#524 Post by the8thark »

jrusher12 wrote: Sun 26 Jan 2020, 2:36 amThey have crafted both the beautiful with the raw dance for which they are famous. They have often reacted again previous works but this album has something for everyone. Want a stomper? Willow the Wisp. Want a bright track that could have easily been on Yes? Only the Dark. Want an Behaviour/Elysium ballad? Burning the Heather.
I can mostly agree with this. However Burning the Heather is really just Release v2.0
Though catering to everyone can backfire if the album has no cohesiveness and is just a hodge podge of tracks trying to please all fans at once. I'd prefer the Yes approach. As in just make 10-12 tracks all individually and ignore cohesiveness. Don't cater to the fansbase, just make 10-12 individually great tracks and experiement a little.

On the other hand albums like fundamental have less individually brilliant tracks but the album is super cohesive and the songs easily flow from one to the next.
If you try to please everyone, most times you end up pleasing no one at all. Better to stick to one thing, do it really well and hope you get enough sales to justify it.

The more I listen to this album, the more I get the Release feel. Not musically (well apart from Burning The Heather which should really Release like) but the overall feel, more laidback, more chill, no instantly likable track, takes quite a few listens to have the album grow on you etc etc.

I would recommend Hotspot to PSB fans, but as someone new to PSB, Hotspot should never be their first or second or third album. You need something instantly likable to drag a new fan in. For me that was "Did You See Me Coming".

Do we want more Releases (as in Release clones) from the PSB or should they just retire?
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear
If you've something to hide, you shouldn't even be here

Disco.

#525 Post by Disco. »

Retire ! Why ??