Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Tom Angel

Re: Hotspot - Forum Reactions.

#496 Post by Tom Angel » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:53 pm

Having already reviewed Hotspot I feel I don't wanna add much else.

However,

It has been somewhat forgotten that they made a German (albeit not Berlin) album using analogue synths – some of which they had never seen before – in Munich circa 1990 with Harold Faltermeyer for Behaviour. And it clearly suits them, perhaps because just as in their early days, they are out of their comfort zone. This also includes producer Stuart Price.
in suits or sequins/or twin sets and pearls

Ghost within this house

#497 Post by Ghost within this house » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm

boyjohn wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm
rashomon wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm
A tingle-tangle
chittering and chattering
By the fountain
spluttering and splattering

Who else loves this bit from ‘You are the one’?
Love it. And I still think the lyrics say "You are the one, I was the one" in the chorus despite what the lyrics on the official site say.
I think the sense of the chorus is 'You are the one I want' ('the one', then repeated as an afterthought)...
Firing verbal shots.......like a Tommy Gun

Ghost within this house

#498 Post by Ghost within this house » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:06 pm

rashomon wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 6:07 pm
Hoping for a miracle is slaying me with it's beauty ... that is all.
It's a masterpiece.

I am actually completely shocked by how brilliant the slow numbers are, and also astonished that there are so many Petheads who don't feel the same way!

boyjohn

#499 Post by boyjohn » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:09 pm

Ghost within this house wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:04 pm
boyjohn wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm
rashomon wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:12 pm
A tingle-tangle
chittering and chattering
By the fountain
spluttering and splattering

Who else loves this bit from ‘You are the one’?
Love it. And I still think the lyrics say "You are the one, I was the one" in the chorus despite what the lyrics on the official site say.
I think the sense of the chorus is 'You are the one I want' ('the one', then repeated as an afterthought)...
It doesn't sound like that to me, I sat there with headphones for an hour last night and it sure sounds like I was the one on the chorus. The verses definitely end with I want the one though
“Unless you consciously include, you will unconsciously exclude”
-Stephen Frost

Ghost within this house

#500 Post by Ghost within this house » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:09 pm

The only song on the album that isn't quite doing it for me is I don't wanna, but I'm still quite happy listening to it.

I haven't yet sat down to absorb the album as a single artwork, and I'm not giving my review until I have done that a few times, but I'm sure enough that, for me, this is the best of the three Price albums, and I think it is beyond dispute that it is the most cohesive of the three, lyrically, thematically and in some respects even sonically.

Roundhead General

#501 Post by Roundhead General » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:13 pm

rashomon wrote:
It's a masterpiece.

I am actually completely shocked by how brilliant the slow numbers are, and also astonished that there are so many Petheads who don't feel the same way!
Yes I’m shocked too by that. I think the slow numbers are amazing and really add to the feel of the album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For in a secret life I was a roundhead general

glennjridge

#502 Post by glennjridge » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:18 pm

My complaints with "you are the one" and "only the dark" is that they are surprisingly slight vocally and backing track wise.

I am really surprised vocally or even backing track wise they didnt build both those tracks more. they stay flat the whole way thru for the most part. if you heard one chorus, you heard them all.

he doesnt even change up the melody at all on the choruses from one to the next...in fact I have been listening to the tunes with headphones and dare I say it...neil didnt even re-sing the second and third chrouses...it sounds to me he just copied and pasted the vocals from the first verse to the second and third of both tracks. most bands tend to make minute changes to the melody from one chorus to the next it change it up a bit.

he could have stacked more harmonies, or counter melodies under the verse or chorus...think the second verse of 'I wouldnt normally do this kind of thing" where suddenly in the background neil is singing la la la la under the second verse lyrics. it adds new color to the song.

here however with these 2 ballads they stay flat and mostly unchanged from start to finish.
Last edited by glennjridge on Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boyjohn

#503 Post by boyjohn » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:18 pm

Roundhead General wrote:
Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:13 pm
rashomon wrote:
It's a masterpiece.

Yes I’m shocked too by that. I think the slow numbers are amazing and really add to the feel of the album

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it's because the slow numbers are really melodic and kind of sing-songy, whereas say with Super, the songs Dictator and Sad Robot World, while I love and admire them, they kind of drag the album to a standstill.
-Stephen Frost

papierklemmen

#504 Post by papierklemmen » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:24 pm

I’m gonna be THAT person and say: does anyone else think that the lyrics in the first verse of “You are the one” sound a lot like the stuff Neil and Chris talk about in their interviews when they mention what they do in Berlin together?

I’m very enamored with the album at the moment! I’m not as eloquent as everyone here so I won’t do a review but I can say, I definitely like it more than Super.

boyjohn

#505 Post by boyjohn » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:29 pm

I put a link to the is in the upcoming thread, but I though I would post it here, since it already happened (and this is a popular thread at the moment), a new interview on BBC Nottingham. Same old stuff really but one thing that stood out was that the DJ mention that Dreamland was one of the most played songs on all of BBC radio over the past year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07ybwy0
-Stephen Frost

TallThinMan

#506 Post by TallThinMan » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:37 pm

Sat 25 Jan 2020, 9:09 pm
The only song on the album that isn't quite doing it for me is I don't wanna, but I'm still quite happy listening to it.
I’m with you on that one.

leesmapman

#507 Post by leesmapman » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:00 pm

rashomon wrote:
It's a masterpiece.

I blame myself. These songs usually have to grow on me.

Sent from my SM-J410F using Tapatalk

CrisiB

#508 Post by CrisiB » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:15 pm

I really love this album. There is such a warm atmosphere on it and all songs fit perfectly. Sometimes I don’t like to hear the singles when hearing a new album because I’m a little fed up by them at that point. But not this time. I think they fit in so well and I love BTH as long version. Wedding in Berlin it’s okay. We don’t need to forget, first it was a song for a friends wedding. So the lyrics are what it’s all about when you’re getting married.
For me it’s a really great album that I enjoy listening to.

NJTom2

#509 Post by NJTom2 » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:27 pm

Much better than Super, ticks a lot more down beat boxes that I love. No clue what to make of the last track, but hey, I learned to love Bilingual despite the dud on the end of that one!

alig

#510 Post by alig » Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:38 pm

It doesn't give me the same rush of euphoria as Super. It sounds a bit maudlin at times. Highlight: Will O. This opener promises so much that the album can't deliver unfortunately. Wedding can be filed under " final album track people skip". It's also very short running 42 minutes. The second shortest album they recorded. Wish they had added one or two tracks.
Last edited by alig on Sat 25 Jan 2020, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"John 3:16."