3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Message
Author
leesmapman
Posts: 1644
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#481 Post by leesmapman » Tue 04 Feb 2020, 5:06 pm

At rock bottom and singing "it's all about drugs", this song is not going to be a lot of fun, is it?

User avatar
Sage
Posts: 303
Joined: Thu 06 Sep 2012, 3:08 am
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#482 Post by Sage » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 8:30 am

ZiggyPSB wrote:
Tue 04 Feb 2020, 4:04 pm
Sage wrote:
Tue 04 Feb 2020, 11:11 am
No one's discussing the new b-side?
The EP isn’t out till Friday.
Like I said, if you can read properly, the song has leaked.

User avatar
TeCHno PoP
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon 26 Jun 2006, 3:52 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#483 Post by TeCHno PoP » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 8:40 pm

Just got the CD from my local shop. :) I love the package. b-side is top song, and Friend Within remix is very good too, but Prins mix is very unimaginative.

leesmapman
Posts: 1644
Joined: Wed 03 May 2006, 11:51 am
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#484 Post by leesmapman » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 9:03 pm

IMHO, The Prins mix is fantastic. It made me love the song

TallThinMan
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#485 Post by TallThinMan » Wed 05 Feb 2020, 10:24 pm

I really don’t understand the timing of releasing the Monkey Business single now. We’ve had all the promotion for the album, it’s dropping down the charts, the Monkey Business video has dropped down the iTunes video chart like a stone, radio has stopped playing the song. It just feels too late.

I guess it doesn’t matter really because only us die-hard fans will be buying the physical release.

User avatar
Patrick Bateman
Posts: 8815
Joined: Sat 12 Apr 2008, 4:35 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#486 Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:45 pm

TallThinMan wrote:
Wed 05 Feb 2020, 10:24 pm
I really don’t understand the timing of releasing the Monkey Business single now. We’ve had all the promotion for the album, it’s dropping down the charts, the Monkey Business video has dropped down the iTunes video chart like a stone, radio has stopped playing the song. It just feels too late.

I guess it doesn’t matter really because only us die-hard fans will be buying the physical release.
The main purpose of the single was to promote Hotspot, and to a lesser extent, the tour. I’m sure they know it was never going to be a smash hit. The good thing about doing a video is that it can continue to promote them in the longer term.

The physical release on Friday is definitely only that, one for the hardcore fanbase.

User avatar
moxlox
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed 15 Mar 2006, 9:23 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#487 Post by moxlox » Fri 07 Feb 2020, 7:33 pm

My 12” vinyl Monkey Business arrived. Sound quality is absolutely superb, vinyl better than the CD on my system, and better than album version vinyl. Like really really good.

Both remixes are top drawer. Absolutely on it. All versions just make me wanna dance. 🤗 lots of absolutely great house piano going on on both remixes.
Circuses and Bread

TallThinMan
Posts: 777
Joined: Sun 04 Jun 2006, 6:50 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#488 Post by TallThinMan » Fri 07 Feb 2020, 7:36 pm

moxlox wrote:
Fri 07 Feb 2020, 7:33 pm
My 12” vinyl Monkey Business arrived. Sound quality is absolutely superb, vinyl better than the CD on my system, and better than album version vinyl. Like really really good.

Both remixes are top drawer. Absolutely on it. All versions just make me wanna dance. 🤗 lots of absolutely great house piano going on on both remixes.
I absolutely adore “Monkey Business”, can’t stop playing it!

User avatar
Boring90
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed 22 Oct 2008, 12:34 am
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#489 Post by Boring90 » Fri 07 Feb 2020, 8:48 pm

Wish wrote:
Sat 01 Feb 2020, 3:48 pm
Interesting, forthcoming CD/12inch have "made in UK" statement on it?
Made in the EU (Germany).
Las Vegas 1999

User avatar
Boring90
Posts: 493
Joined: Wed 22 Oct 2008, 12:34 am
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#490 Post by Boring90 » Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:00 pm

'At Rock Bottom' fits quite well with it's A Side. 'Monkey Business' is the party and 'At Rock Bottom' is the morning after.
Las Vegas 1999

MrTennant
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon 27 Jan 2020, 9:02 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#491 Post by MrTennant » Fri 07 Feb 2020, 9:35 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Thu 06 Feb 2020, 1:45 pm
TallThinMan wrote:
Wed 05 Feb 2020, 10:24 pm
I really don’t understand the timing of releasing the Monkey Business single now. We’ve had all the promotion for the album, it’s dropping down the charts, the Monkey Business video has dropped down the iTunes video chart like a stone, radio has stopped playing the song. It just feels too late.

I guess it doesn’t matter really because only us die-hard fans will be buying the physical release.
The main purpose of the single was to promote Hotspot, and to a lesser extent, the tour. I’m sure they know it was never going to be a smash hit. The good thing about doing a video is that it can continue to promote them in the longer term.

The physical release on Friday is definitely only that, one for the hardcore fanbase.
It's a way to extend the presence of Monkey Busines one more week with a little buzz from hardcore fans buying the album. Nothing else really.

regularjoe
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:41 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#492 Post by regularjoe » Fri 07 Feb 2020, 11:11 pm

With the stems for a certain Peter Garbiel song out there I am surprised no one has made a "Shock the Monkey Business" mashup.

negative_0ne
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat 25 Jan 2020, 3:53 am
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#493 Post by negative_0ne » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 12:34 am

regularjoe wrote:
Fri 07 Feb 2020, 11:11 pm
With the stems for a certain Peter Garbiel song out there I am surprised no one has made a "Shock the Monkey Business" mashup.
that sounds like it would be fun.
was thinking the same thing.

later
-1

User avatar
Old Soak
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:06 pm
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#494 Post by Old Soak » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 2:04 pm

At last, remixes that add something to the song after years of DJ Ego Trips. The Prins Thomas mix is fabulous in particular, and that House piano really adds a lot. Do I detect a sample from the unreleased 'Big Piano'?

The b-side is definitely a b-side, bur very well done, and as the best Tennant you can read the lyrics at both a superficial and deeper level.

Friend Within mix again adds fabulous House piano. Not as good as Prins Thomas IMO but this would definitely get a floor filled.
And at the end/ Your funny Uncle staring / At all your friends / With military bearing

User avatar
Marie loves PSB
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun 27 May 2007, 10:56 am
Contact:

Re: 3rd single "Monkey Business" (Jan 2020)

#495 Post by Marie loves PSB » Sat 08 Feb 2020, 2:27 pm

Lol... I am so glad that I went out yesterday and missed looking at my e-mails. - This is priceless! :down: I found out a minute ago that I have received a few e-mails to say that my Cd is on its way for yesterday morning (Friday). DPD gave me a time etc.. For them to e-mail me a bit later to say that the driver is going to miss me now as he is busy! lol... That's a good un'! I am supposed to be receiving it on Monday - just hope he isn't busy. :shhh: ** I cannot actually believe they have said that**.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Greendrake, MSN [Bot], Sage and 15 guests