Burning the heather

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Patrick Bateman

Re: Burning the heather

#226 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Neil is a Remain fundamentalist so even when he’s not consciously writing about Brexit, his unconscious can’t help but bang the drum. The whole album will be subliminally suffused with references to it. Poor old Chris. :(
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Thu 21 Nov 2019, 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Effen Vida

#227 Post by Effen Vida »

I wish I knew how so many of you are projecting your Brexit fears onto this track.

FFS. It’s a snapshot of a man in a bar, in the middle of nowhere, chatting up the barmaid. But, to me, it’s *about* looking for meaning in the second half of life, while accepting that our time here is fleeting and, in the end, we all have to make way for the young.

I may be wrong, or rather, you may disagree, but Brexit it ain’t.

mrcrosby

#228 Post by mrcrosby »

It's a lovely song. I like the quintessential Britishness of it. I hear echoes of Kate Bush songs. As others have said, it means what you want it to mean.

Dog

#229 Post by Dog »

Building on Niall's "David Lytton" theory, I'd recommend anyone interested in this reading of the song to watch the Channel 4 documentary Mystery Of The Man On The Moor, which is still available on All 4. The song reads completely as though it's David, the man found dead by poisoning on Saddleworth Moor, addressing the detectives investigating the case and trying to put together a picture of David's movements and personality, and possibly also to the family and friends that thought they knew him.

With a complete lack of leads to begin with, they form incorrect theories - including that he might be a spy - and are unaware he's changed his name: "You've got me all wrong, I'm not that guy... If I thought what you think I wouldn't even be here (in the north / in Oldham / in the Clarence pub in Greenfield)... I've just dropped in for a drink before I disappear."

Once David is identified more pieces of the puzzle start falling into place, and a quite different picture emerges. He is wealthy but lives very simply. Here's a quote from a former girlfriend who is interviewed which obviously fits well with the second and last verses: "He was interesting. He didn't mix terribly well. He was a lovely, lovely gentleman. I couldn't fault him at all. He didn't want the luxuries of life. He wasn't comfortable with the luxuries. When he bought, he bought well. If you've got no money you don't buy xxx shoes. Good quality cord trousers. Again, they're not cheap but he would buy expensive stuff to last. No credit cards, no debit cards, no nothing. But he was saving for what he wanted. He liked the good things in life."

Verse three: "I set out in the dark..." is a quite straightforward description of what happened once he left the pub.

The bridge: "Where did I come from? Where do I go?" are the two questions that form the backbone of the case... Who is this man, and why was he found on Saddleworth Moor? The answer to the second question remains a mystery.
Woof.

Bucky Goldstein

#230 Post by Bucky Goldstein »

Really come to love this - definition of a grower and a real seasonal mood piece. I do love it when they go a bit pastoral. Great for listening to in front of the fire, as the evenings draw in. Melodically, anyone else getting echos of Pulp's "Something Changed" in the chorus? They run together well.
"...Purchase or hire thirty-eight ripe Spongs. Wheel them home, and shoot them. Then simply bake them, and eat them once. The end."

Spittingcat

#231 Post by Spittingcat »

Bucky Goldstein wrote:
Thu 21 Nov 2019, 12:09 am
Melodically, anyone else getting echos of Pulp's "Something Changed" in the chorus? They run together well.
Glad it’s not just me.

Greendrake

#232 Post by Greendrake »

Dog wrote:
Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:07 pm
Verse three: "I set out in the dark..." is a quite straightforward description of what happened once he left the pub.
But in the song he does not leave the pub, nor at least while singing those lines.

Dog

#233 Post by Dog »

Greendrake wrote:
Dog wrote:
Wed 20 Nov 2019, 10:07 pm
But in the song he does not leave the pub, nor at least while singing those lines.
I would say he does. The final verse would be him still addressing his former girlfriend, rather than someone in the pub.
Woof.

Pod

#234 Post by Pod »

I think the David Lytton (Lautenberg) connection is absolutely right. The story fits the song well and is both mysterious and tragic. Of course - burning the heather is a method used to let the older generation (of plants) to pass away for the young shoots to emerge.
Just for the sake of it, make sure you're always frowning. :|
It shows the world that you've got substance and depth.

psbfannyc

#235 Post by psbfannyc »

https://www.petshopboys.co.uk/index.php ... le-package

"Pet Shop Boys have today announced the single package for their current single, “Burning the heather (radio edit)”. The single, which features Bernard Butler on guitar, is available to pre-order now at the link below and will be out on December 13th on digital services and on 7-inch vinyl. The package will include a brand new PSB track, “Decide”, and also a remix of “Decide” by progressive house duo CYA.

Full track-listings for the “Burning the heather” single package are as follows:

Digital
1. Burning the heather (radio edit)
2. Decide
3. Decide (CYA remix)

7-inch vinyl
1. Burning the heather (radio edit)
2. Decide

“Burning the heather” is the second single taken from the forthcoming Pet Shop Boys studio album “Hotspot”, which will be released on 24th January 2020 and is available to pre-order now from the link below."

https://petshopboys.ffm.to/burningtheheather.jdb

G_Goalden

#236 Post by G_Goalden »

Is this now officially a Christmas single?
G.
Birmingham 1989 | Blackpool & Birmingham 1991| Savoy 1997 | Sheffield 1999 | Middlesbrough 2002 | Manchester 2006/9 | Manchester 2013 | ROH 2016 | RAH 2017

rashomon

#237 Post by rashomon »

Great news

And with Decide as yet another new song .... 2019 has been a rich year indeed for PSB fans
you could say conventional ... and I could claim intentional

Pete13

#238 Post by Pete13 »

Great news! 7” ordered.

stussyboy

#239 Post by stussyboy »

£8.99 plus £2 postage for a 7” single 🧐
NewYork London Tokyo LosAngeles

greenmile

#240 Post by greenmile »

Would this be their first 'proper' single without a cd single?
Not counting the singles from Please obviously.