Burning the heather

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Future Lover

Re: Burning the heather

#181 Post by Future Lover »

I seriously hope you guys are joking... Don't make me pull an "ok boomer" on you.

jules

#182 Post by jules »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Tue 19 Nov 2019, 3:05 am Pounds, shillings and pence-ing suddenly makes sense too.....

Is the entire album about bloody Brexit and economic migrants then?
Truth must be the truth = Giuliani (truth isn't truth).
Pence-ing = Pence
Hype you Hope = Hope Hicks
I'm not that guy - Trump (I'm not mr nice guy)
Time is so heartless... You don't want to know
(could be about the climate change trump is denying or the time magasine mocking trump)
Then at the end it's very dark, there's a lot of flames and the final picture is a dark room with a window with bars.
Quite creepy for a pub. It's looks like a jail.
There's a pattern, could be about Trump being lucid about leaving office and facing jail.
Last edited by jules on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

glennjridge

#183 Post by glennjridge »

if neil was going to use precious real estate in a song to get political, his references would have been more important people than those american peripheral figures. Hope Hicks...really? if he wanted to get political, it wouldnt have been buried in 5% of a songs lyrics regarding figures who really have nothing to do with anything of weight to an englishman.

you are filling in blanks that dont even exist. I mean "im not that guy- Trump I'm not Mr nice guy?
Last edited by glennjridge on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jules

#184 Post by jules »

I'm sure at least for Giuliani and pence. And Neil often quote people not very well known by everyone.
There's no blank. It's just observation. Neil is anti-brexit and anti-trump.
https://youtu.be/XViQDNLthn4
It's "he's not mr nice guy"
Last edited by jules on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

glennjridge

#185 Post by glennjridge »

Look, you turned "hype you hope" into Hope Hicks and created a prison cell out of thin air. that says it all really.

jules

#186 Post by jules »

glennjridge wrote: Tue 19 Nov 2019, 4:13 am Look, you turned "hype you hope" into Hope Hicks. that says it all really.
It's doesn't says it all but yes this one is far stretched, hope being the first name.
For the prison cell i don't know what it could be ? For you it's a normal window ? Or something else ?

Waffleon

#187 Post by Waffleon »

Doesn't Cameron own a pad in Cornwall where they burn a lot of heather? Can't imagine they'd waste a song on that knob cheese, but for some reason that's the guy I picture in the pub. Aaahhh for me!!!

I do think it is Brexit though, hence the drop now.

Well that and the Autumn bit I suppose.

Love PSB.

TallThinMan

#188 Post by TallThinMan »

Neil’s already said what the song’s about. Listen to the 6 Music interview.

Waffleon

#189 Post by Waffleon »

I have, thank you. It is also definitely about a lonely man drinking in a pub. Poems are multi-layered.

Spittingcat

#190 Post by Spittingcat »

The important bit about “pound shilling & pencing” is that it suggests that the protagonist clearly isn’t a young man. I wouldn’t read much more into it than that (but it does fit all the various readings suggested so far). Such a great autumnal song, I think that’s the more simple reason for the timing of the release.

Spittingcat

#191 Post by Spittingcat »

Oh, Patrick, if you’re an Englishman writing songs in Berlin over the last few years, of course Brexit and immigration is going to inform your song writing (not that I see anything that blatant in this song). Neil isn’t writing lyrics in London in the 1980s.

One thing that surprises me about this song is how damn English it is, so evocative of time and place (and seasonal adjustive disorder perhaps). A bit of a curveball when they are talking up the Berlin connection so much. I’m suspecting something a bit more Teutonic, or at least more universally international, on the remaining tracks. Maybe even some nods to Neu, Kraftwerk etc.

daveid

#192 Post by daveid »

Dreamland is a bit Brexity too. Maybe they'll re record Indefinite Leave to Remain.

britboy

#193 Post by britboy »

So it is their new single after all having just read it on Facebook...

Future Lover

#194 Post by Future Lover »

These attempts to shoehorn meanings that aren't there are honestly pathetic, and show to which lengths the conservative underbelly is always on the hunt to find """secret meanings""" that somehow prove that the world is gonna f*** them over, the little man the gays and migrants will ruin. If this song was indeed about Brexit, surely someone else would notice? Equally imbecilic as attempting to read the word Hotspot as something migrant-related.

If it wasn't clear enough, they kept the politics separate by releasing Agenda first. Dreamland was explained as being metaphoric about the migrant plight back in 2017, before we heard even a second of it, but stop... trying to tie the entire album into it? It's weird.

ArtHist

#195 Post by ArtHist »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Tue 19 Nov 2019, 3:05 am Pounds, shillings and pence-ing suddenly makes sense too.....

Is the entire album about bloody Brexit and economic migrants then?
If so, the album should have been called 'Woke'. :roll: