Burning the heather

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
Undertaker

Re: Burning the heather

#166 Post by Undertaker »

A really nice record. Maybe the guitar work is a bit over bearing but it's a solid 7 from me.

The last 3 or 4 years have had some brilliant slower songs. Miles better than what Elysium gave us.

Weve had two already this year that are near perfect PSB. The Forgotton Child is even better.

geowayne

#167 Post by geowayne »

Sage wrote: Thu 14 Nov 2019, 11:29 am
Where's Geowayne to expertly explain what a breadhead is.
I've finally gotten around to providing my initial commentary on the song on my website at http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/hotspot/heather.htm

I have to give credit where credit is due in that I'm indebted to this forum thread for providing some of the information I've drawn upon there, particularly regarding the case of David Lytton.

Wayne

geowayne

#168 Post by geowayne »

geowayne wrote: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 6:05 pm
I've finally gotten around to providing my initial commentary on the song on my website at http://www.geowayne.com/newDesign/hotspot/heather.htm

I have to give credit where credit is due in that I'm indebted to this forum thread -- and to Niall in particular -- for providing some of the information I've drawn upon there, especially regarding the case of David Lytton.

Wayne

lucienchardon

#169 Post by lucienchardon »

I have to give credit where credit is due in that I'm indebted to this forum thread for providing some of the information I've drawn upon there, particularly regarding the case of David Lytton.

Wayne
Thanks for that! Enjoyed reading it. This song gets better with every play.

Effen Vida

#170 Post by Effen Vida »

Burning the Heather is just lovely. Classic Neil metaphors, textural storytelling and a gorgeously melodic chorus.

It’s such a shame that it’s yet another song let down by muddy production. It should sweep and soar, the sonics are all there, but they’re pinned down and buried beneath a busy fudge.

I still love the song itself, I just wish...etc...etc.

Greendrake

#171 Post by Greendrake »

Niall wrote: Thu 14 Nov 2019, 4:04 pm ...made me think instantly of the case of Neil Dovestone, later identified as David Lytton. He was a 67 year old man found dead on Saddleworth Moor. He had taken strychnine. He was unidentified for more than a year. He had stopped in at the Clarence pub in the nearby town of Greenfield before climbing the moor and taking his life. Police later tracked his journey, mostly by CCTV, all the way back to Ealing Broadway. He took the train to Euston then Manchester Piccadilly. He was eventually identified via DNA testing. A relative said he was "a bit of a loner" who "liked his own company".
Link to the case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lytton
I would strongly disagree that the guy in the song is anyone like that.
As Neil said in the BBC Radio 6 interview, the guy chats the woman behind the bar up and, although he claims not to, at the end he suggests to stay with her. He would most likely not be as old as David Lytton. Whilst the theme of his talks might be far from any joy/excitement, there is nothing suicidal either. It's just autumn melancholy, which might even be a part of his tactics of chatting up. So are the "I'll be gone" and "before I disappear" bits which I think are mostly purported to trigger some fear of missing out in the lady behind the bar so that he could get her easier.

geowayne

#172 Post by geowayne »

Effen Vida wrote: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 11:55 pm
It’s such a shame that it’s yet another song let down by muddy production. It should sweep and soar, the sonics are all there, but they’re pinned down and buried beneath a busy fudge.
I'm hoping that it will sound better -- cleaner and crisper -- on CD when the album is released.

Bjossi

#173 Post by Bjossi »

geowayne wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 2:14 am
I'm hoping that it will sound better -- cleaner and crisper -- on CD when the album is released.
Expectation bias will help you with that, if nothing else.

daveid

#174 Post by daveid »

Hoping we'll get a full on release for this single with Angelic thug as one of three bonus tracks :wink:

TallThinMan

#175 Post by TallThinMan »

geowayne wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 2:14 am
It sounds pretty good to me.

Niall

#176 Post by Niall »

geowayne wrote: Sun 17 Nov 2019, 6:08 pm

I have to give credit where credit is due in that I'm indebted to this forum thread -- and to Niall in particular -- for providing some of the information I've drawn upon there, especially regarding the case of David Lytton.

Wayne
Always a pleasure, Wayne and also to Dog from earlier in the thread!
Evertonians are born not manufactured.
We do not choose; we are chosen.
Those who understand need no explanation.
Those that don't understand don't matter.

Waffleon

#177 Post by Waffleon »

Rather nice. I think it's political. Can't quite work out what though. Maybe an allegory of England and its demise? Slow, lingering, misunderstood, lost? Probably not. Very atmospheric though, takes you to those moors.

Patrick Bateman

#178 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Waffleon wrote: Mon 18 Nov 2019, 11:39 pm Rather nice. I think it's political. Can't quite work out what though. Maybe an allegory of England and its demise? Slow, lingering, misunderstood, lost? Probably not. Very atmospheric though, takes you to those moors.
Oh no, please don't tell me this an allegory for Brexit and that's why he ends up remaining in the end..... :wall:

Farage et al burning the heather, dog whistles for the sheepdogs, money for paying (£350m?)

"I'm quite happy to be alone"

"The truth must be the truth/ unvarnished in its telling/ otherwise it's just hype you hope/ people won't notice you're peddling"

"And where I am bound/ no-one knows"

Oh my God, it is, isn't it? :doh:
Last edited by Patrick Bateman on Tue 19 Nov 2019, 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

jules

#179 Post by jules »

Could be about brexit, the guy say he will be gone and then say maybe he will stay. Hell for leather/ hell for leavers... Tusk said there's "a special place in hell” for the people who pushed Brexit without a plan...

Patrick Bateman

#180 Post by Patrick Bateman »

Pounds, shillings and pence-ing suddenly makes sense too.....

Is the entire album about bloody Brexit and economic migrants then?