Burning the heather

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
jules

Re: Burning the heather

#136 Post by jules »

Patrick Bateman wrote: Thu 14 Nov 2019, 10:25 pm I love the chorus but I'm underwhelmed by the 'happy' ending. It works better as a miserablist anthem.
I just realized the ending doesn't fit the mood of the song. I hope the album version will explain that.

davee

#137 Post by davee »

(Sorry, wrong thread: deleted)

NotInvisible

#138 Post by NotInvisible »

TwizzleUK wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019, 10:08 am 'Burning The Heather' reminds me of 'The Next Day' late Davie Bowie era tracks - knowingly reflective and honest. I could imagine Bowie singing this from the moment I heard it.
An utterly gorgeous song that once again shines a light on the most insipid parts of fandom. I get it, we all love high BPM bops but some of us adore the more contemplative stuff too. 'Release' quite literally saved their creative career and provided two decades of fuel to push out into new directions, I'll never understand how some fans miss that and just want another rewrite of It's a Sin.

Burning the Heather sounds like the cover to the Release tour program. Beautiful and mature. I'd be here for a whole album of this.

y3potential

#139 Post by y3potential »

NotInvisible wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019, 5:48 pm
TwizzleUK wrote: Fri 15 Nov 2019, 10:08 am 'Burning The Heather' reminds me of 'The Next Day' late Davie Bowie era tracks - knowingly reflective and honest. I could imagine Bowie singing this from the moment I heard it.
An utterly gorgeous song that once again shines a light on the most insipid parts of fandom. I get it, we all love high BPM bops but some of us adore the more contemplative stuff too. 'Release' quite literally saved their creative career and provided two decades of fuel to push out into new directions, I'll never understand how some fans miss that and just want another rewrite of It's a Sin.

Burning the Heather sounds like the cover to the Release tour program. Beautiful and mature. I'd be here for a whole album of this.

I'm totally with you. Yes, we all love a stomper or two, and I sort of get those who just want variants of Opportunities or It's A Sin for example, but to settle for that would be to miss the whole point of PSB. They are forever evolving. No other band has their sheer creative range from euphoric bangers through to heart breaking ballads via original Musical and ballet productions. They 'really are unique' and we should cherish them. Roll on January 24th !
Last edited by y3potential on Sat 16 Nov 2019, 1:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Spittingcat

#140 Post by Spittingcat »

I got Bowie vibes as well.
Which I haven’t since Boy Strange.

Markpro

#141 Post by Markpro »

On my first couple of listens i likened it to a track that belonged on Elysium, which was not a great thing from my point of view but i have been singing it all day, i'm not usually a fan of the boys ballads but this is something so much more (It is in the same vein as The Way It Used To Be which in my opinion is one of the greatest tracks any artists have produced).
It really is an autumn of your life song, regrettably beautiful and achingly heartfelt. The chorus is wonderful and shows us again how deep Chris and Neil can be when the mood takes them, i doubt this will be the tone of the album but the track makes me very emotional whilst wrapping a comforting blanket around me at the same time.
It makes you sad while smiling.

I fully expect the double beat drum and guitar to kick in at the end of the radio edit with a fuller chorus on the album version with a orchestral crescendo to finish.
Bravo boys :clap:
I've been a Teenager since before you were born.

Gabby

#142 Post by Gabby »

In the words of Columbia in the Rocky Horror Show "It's OK".

I'm not generally a fan of the Boys ballads but I like the imagery here and I assume it's not meant to be literally interpreted. Sounds quite politically motivated to me.

There's been a very retro feel to the recent tracks, this and An Open Mind where they sound s lot like PSB of yore. Not a bad thing at all but I cant see myself listening to Burning the Heather too often.

So far though all three musical teasers weve had for Hotspot have kept me intrigued for what else is to come.

Dog

#143 Post by Dog »

Niall wrote:I know Neil's explanation about the song but the lyrics....
(I’ve just dropped in for a drink before I disappear. Where did I come from? Where do I go? Time is so heartless. You don’t want to know. I set out in the dark waking from a nightmare hoping I could find the middle of nowhere. I'm a stranger in this town but that's as far as it goes and where I am bound no one knows.)

...made me think instantly of the case of Neil Dovestone, later identified as David Lytton. He was a 67 year old man found dead on Saddleworth Moor. He had taken strychnine. He was unidentified for more than a year. He had stopped in at the Clarence pub in the nearby town of Greenfield before climbing the moor and taking his life. Police later tracked his journey, mostly by CCTV, all the way back to Ealing Broadway. He took the train to Euston then Manchester Piccadilly. He was eventually identified via DNA testing. A relative said he was "a bit of a loner" who "liked his own company".
Link to the case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lytton
Thanks for posting this. Definitely good food for thought. You’re right - Neil’s explanation doesn’t really stack up for me either. He does tend to default to quite simplistic definitions and leave others to pick over the detail. For example, Domino dancing being about a friend dancing when he won at dominoes... This was most likely the inspiration, but the song is a striking metaphor for the AIDS crisis. Equally Together can be read as a story of a suicide pact, and it was over 10 years before Neil laid out that Fugitive was about a suicide bomber.

I think there’s definitely more at play here and the story certainly chimes with the kind of subject matter that intrigues and interests Neil. Hoping the extra lyrics in the album version help with further interpretation here.
Woof.

jules

#144 Post by jules »

I was wondering what was so catchy in the song, and it made me think to kings cross, where the narrator is walking and describing what he sees.

And someone told me heather is burned near Neil's home.

Gabby

#145 Post by Gabby »

jules wrote: Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:37 am I was wondering what was so catchy in the song, and it made me think to kings cross, where the narrator is walking and describing what he sees.

And someone told me heather is burned near Neil's home.
Yeah most likely it would be. The images in the lyric video look a lot like Northumberland. For a brief moment I even thought I spotted my sisters home in it.

TwizzleUK

#146 Post by TwizzleUK »

Gotta say, after a few plays this bugger's a real grower. Much prefer it to Dreamland. Bet you've all had the "you've got me all wrong" refrain stuck in your heads now. Find myself getting the urge to keep going back and listening to it. I think in a few months we'll be looking back at this track very affectionately, in the way Being Boring was a slow burner when Behaviour first came out.really fits this time of year. Very brave of them to release this after several years of bangers. Kind of a hybrid of Being Boring, Kings Cross, Hit And Miss, Invisible and Release. I likey very muchy. Cant wait to hear the longer version.

Remark

#147 Post by Remark »

It's interesting to read how polarizing this track is...seems like it's mainly a love/dislike situation. I appreciate the track and how lush it is. Not a strong single contender but a gorgeous song nonetheless. Looking forward to the full length version.

NikacP0kac

#148 Post by NikacP0kac »

I love it, it's lush, cosy, autumnal, melancholic and there's nothing I'd rather listen to in these rainy days than some PSB balladry - it's certainly not as bland as they can sometimes sound when doing the slower, guitar-y stuff. It's also very memorable and catchy.
Have a look at my taste in music:
http://www.last.fm/user/NikacPokac

That’s the thing about negative energy, about hatred. It can be positive. It throws into relief all the things you know you like. It tells you, by elimination, what you’re about. Sometimes you can only define yourself by what you hate. Hatred becomes an inspiration; it makes you think, “What I’m doing now I totally believe in, and I don’t care what other people say.” Guided by hatred, you don’t have to follow the herd. - Neil Tennant

gehegu

#149 Post by gehegu »

FYI a bread head is a person obsessed with money according to the urban dictionary.

Remark

#150 Post by Remark »

Delete, wrong thread.