One thought about the PSB songs we have listened this year

For general discussion of Pet Shop Boys topics.
nickname

One thought about the PSB songs we have listened this year

#1 Post by nickname » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 4:04 pm

Because I have a same feeling with all of them.

I know Agenda, Musik and Dreamland single with their B-sides are almost all of them the kind of songs PSB use to fill the gaps :mrgreen: and we can listen the best tracks from them on the albums where it is supposed to be the main tracks from PSB creativity.

That's why I didn't feel very excited with the songs from Agenda and Musik. I'm a PSB fan but I had the impression these songs didn't live up to my expections. Like the level of these songs was quite low. But I understand why.

With the new B-sides I feel the level has increased a bit with songs planned to be part of new albums but I expect more from them.

The thing is we have a new album to come in 2020 and they are not going to perform any of these songs live except Dreamland. :shock: I know it's a Greatest Hits Show but it's very strange, isn't it?. The main reason could be an album with downtempo songs which is not a good option to play live. That's why I think it's another album on the way after this one.

So maybe we can expect something similar to Elysium now (which is not bad) but maybe whitout a very high level of quality songs more related to enjoy with the album itself than strong in the olden days called commercial songs.These ones could be in a future album for 2021?, it's just an speculation

Anyway when I listen to all these songs from these additional project I know it's a pleasure for me but I expect much more in terms of music quality to come.

y3potential

Re: One thought about the PSB songs we have listened this year

#2 Post by y3potential » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 4:33 pm

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

gehegu

#3 Post by gehegu » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 5:28 pm

Can someone tell me why some of you guys are so rude to nickname? He probably opens too many topics and polls but, apart from that, he’s only giving his opinion in a polite way. What’s wrong with that?

nickname

#4 Post by nickname » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 5:46 pm

gehegu wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 5:28 pm
Can someone tell me why some of you guys are so rude to nickname? He probably opens too many topics and polls but, apart from that, he’s only giving his opinion in a polite way. What’s wrong with that?
Thank you for your comment.You know I have many haters here.

Back to the topic, I'm sure many people think like me.

gehegu

#5 Post by gehegu » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 6:07 pm

You might be right, you might be wrong...el tiempo lo dirá

Patrick Bateman

#6 Post by Patrick Bateman » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 6:56 pm

What you're saying is that you're underwhelmed. However, I think that An Open Mind is a brilliant track and very much a PSB b-side in the tradition of In the Night, Do I Have To?, Shameless, Hit and Miss or countless others.

I see Agenda as a bonus EP that groups together some overtly political songs that (I assume) don't fit on the album.

Dreamland is a great single which succeeded in getting airplay, raising their profile and selling concert tickets.

And I don't have much of an opinion on the album because I haven't heard it. Oh yes, it has ten tracks. That can obviously only be a bad sign.

This is a pop group who have been creating consistently brilliant music for 35 years. Do I expect more from them? Only if I'm an extremely hard taskmaster and/or insane.

PETHEAD72

#7 Post by PETHEAD72 » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 7:08 pm

gehegu wrote:
Very true
You got a heart of glass or a heart of stone?

Oi!...got far to go have you?!... :lol:

leesmapman

#8 Post by leesmapman » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:45 pm

gehegu wrote:
He hasn't made polls for each b-side track yet.

y3potential

#9 Post by y3potential » Sat 26 Oct 2019, 10:39 pm

leesmapman wrote:
Sat 26 Oct 2019, 9:45 pm
gehegu wrote:
He hasn't made polls for each b-side track yet.
It's only a matter of time... You just know those polls are around the corner.. :roll:
There is beauty in ugliness and ugliness in beauty.

Bulldog

#10 Post by Bulldog » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 12:12 am

It'll probably be just more midtempo and sedated (but not necessarily with ballads). The blueprints could be SP's treatment of "Memory of the future" and "Into thin air".
Last edited by Bulldog on Sun 27 Oct 2019, 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#11 Post by Sage » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 2:37 am

Has it been confirmed if the new album will be downtempo?
Here are some quotes from Super interviews:
Chris: "We wrote some quite dark techno tracks and some much more pop things at the same time, but we wanted this one to be basically Electric, only more so. There’s going to be a third one and that’s when the melancholia will kick in again." (22/03/2016)

Neil: "Stuart came over to our studio in London in July and we listened through to everything we’d written and made a decision to go with the more electronic/dancey ones, including darker songs, like “Sad robot world”. We had ones which were more conventionally “pop” that we decided not to put on, but maybe might be on the next album. We wanted to make an album that had a very strong electronic mood all the way through it." (08/04/2016)

Neil: "For the lovers of Pet Shop Boys slowies there's a few mounting up that will come out at some point." (22/06/2019)

Since reading the first quote I've been under the impression it will be downtempo but it seems like it could go either way.

Dog

#12 Post by Dog » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 8:42 am

I would say we are looking at “downtempo” and / or “dark”. Factually we know they have used old analogue gear and that Dreamland is an anomaly. I’m expecting The Lost Room to make an appearance.
Woof.

Andie

#13 Post by Andie » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 9:37 am

Anything downtempo and/or dark would be fine by me!
In a robot world, machinery is sighing, I thought I heard one crying

MikeyC

#14 Post by MikeyC » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 11:04 am

gehegu wrote:

Agreed! We must also remember that English is not nickname's first language!

I appreciate nickname!! 8)

Drico One

#15 Post by Drico One » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 11:23 am

MikeyC wrote:
Sun 27 Oct 2019, 11:04 am
gehegu wrote:

Agreed! We must also remember that English is not nickname's first language!
He speaks Poll-ish very well, though.

Drico.
The pale kid that hides in the attic behind his PC...